Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Recommend good XLR cables

Halloumikev

Morning,

I've just gone through my second XLR cable since using Helix for about a year I think. 

Symptoms are clipping, loss of brightness and occasional crackles.

They were cheap cables; the first, an unknown thing I had lying around when I got the Helix and the second, a Visiosound brand so I'm not surprised they've failed, they're used a lot as well.

I want to get some more reliable ones now, I don't want to be paranoid about cables. But it's a minefield! There's so many to choose from. 

What brand do you guys recommend? 

Cheers, Kev

I use the Beeline cables from Neat Microphones. The company was founded by the people behind Blue, and was a division of Gibson that got caught up in Gibson's issues. The owners acquired the inventory, so the cables are available for around $40, which is lower than the original pricing. The only disadvantage I've found is that they're not particularly supple because the construction is pretty heavy-duty and the cables are thick. Some people don't like the look with the yellow stripes, but others like it because of the visibility - you're not as likely to trip over them 

Although I worked with the company while at Gibson, I'm not affiliated with Neat. I just like their products. FWIW, the online user reviews are extremely favorable.

On 7/1/2019 at 10:05 AM, Halloumikev said:

What brand do you guys recommend? 

Cheers, Kev

Hi Kev,

As used by the BBC and Abbey Road studios.

These are my choice and available in a range of colours, making it easier to spot which is which in a multi cable situation.

Search for:

Van Damme Cable -  Neutrik XLR XLR Cables - Balanced Microphone/Patch Lead

• Upvote 1

Also consider SouthCreekAudio.com's cables. I have been using their Patch, Adapter, Mic, Guitar Cables for several years. All have been outstanding w/o a flaw in any one of them and that across a couple of dozen I bought for my own use and as gifts. Very clean, flexible, exceptionally well constructed, inexpensive, and include a velcro strap. 

21 hours ago, Halloumikev said:

Thanks for the replies. After some digging, there's a guy makes cables using Neutrik and Van Damme as suggested, "designacable". Has good reviews and good price so I'll give those a go.

Cheers!

Yes, that's the place I was thinking of!