Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Edit "no device connected" problem. Help please.

josegermain

I used to get the "No Device Connected" message all the time.  The really frustrating part was that on the rare occasion it did connect I would start using HX Edit to update firmware or edit patches or whatever and then it would lose the connection again, right in the middle of an operation.  I started a thread about it and got pretty much the same answers you see here.  I tried a few things but in the end it all came down to the USB connection.  First thing I learned: close all windows/apps that are not directly related to the operation of the computer.  Helix doesn't seem to like sharing the computer with other apps.  Other peripherals too.  It want's the whole thing to itself.  Second thing I learned: not all USB cables are created equal.  I had at least 5 cables on hand while having my troubles and I tried them all without success.  Then I bought a couple more and still no help.  Finally I bought an expensive high end cable that was 2 feet long.  I don't pretend to know why but long is bad, short is good and shortest is better.  Now when I connect I close everything that isn't HX Edit, I disconnect my printer and I use the short cable and I can connect every time.

10 hours ago, faisalrahman said:

Hello HX Edit users,

I have downloaded version 3.11 of HX Edit on my laptop which is running on Windows 8.1. I have a Helix LT with 3.11 firmware. The HX Edit is not able to detect the LT. Although I can use the LT as an interface. I can record my guitar. I saw people having this issue before with an older firmware versions. I am curious to know if there was any solution to this problem or not. 

Hi,

There are know problems associated with certain USB cables. All USB Cables are not created equal - and just because it works with a printer is no guarantee that it will work as you expect with your Helix LT or other audio hardware. Somewhere in, and amongst, all the hundreds of posts in this forum someone gave a really good description of the reasons why some cables are quite simply not good enough. Something along the lines of being able to handle data streams in one direction, but not great at handling audio at the same time. I looked for it, but couldn’t find it again  - such is life. Also, HX Exit doesn’t seem to like anything else using the USB ports at the same time, so it’s advisable not to have other stuff running in the background at the same time as HX Edit is handshaking the hardware.

Anyhow, in a similar vein, another recent post mentions the reasons that using a USB hub to communicate with Helix hardware is not a good idea.

Read about that particular issue here - see the post from “spaceatl”. 

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Jeez, folks - same problem here. When I attempt to launch the Editor (Helix on 3.01.0), I get "Helix Device Not Connected". New, and varied USB cables tried; no success. I've spent the morning trying to sort this issue; refunded the Client, who is seething. I'm not doing much better.

I just want to use the frappin' stuff I bought and paid for and installed, not take a Masters in Computer Science.

This is beyond ridiculous. I'm so ticked I'm MOLTING. I'm going back to analog foot pedals. They work: this lollipope don't. Nonworking Helix Rack on eBay tomorrow: watch for it.

Same problem here with my HX Stomp. It worked fine until i replaced my laptop system SSD with new one (new clean Windows install etc.) and set up old one as a secondary.

HX Edit won't recognize my Stomp anymore. I tried everything... different cabels, ports, driver reinstalls... nothing.
But Windows recognizes it and works fine as a audio interface.

: (

Condolences, Revexodus.

"Didn't you spend 19 hours reloading the OS, and drivers, and updating the .Dll's to 00xac0412.27019.AA703, as the timer on your Life Expectancy ticked away?" 

Manufacturers should take a greater note of this. This was my last Line 6 Product. I bought the Helix Rack *specifically* so I could park it in the Amp Room, and control it from the Control Room. Business is tough-enough nowadays, without having to refund your Clients because the "lollipope" doesn't work. 

Imagine settling down in the Captain's chair of a 777 at 45,000 feet, and the iPads on the instrument panel say "Flight Director not Recognized". Grrr.

13 hours ago, Dibubba said:

Imagine settling down in the Captain's chair of a 777 at 45,000 feet, and the iPads on the instrument panel say "Flight Director not Recognized".

Mmm… yes, that wouldn’t be good, especially if you had mistakenly plugged in a “charge only” USB cable that didn’t have the facility to transfer data. Oh, how foolish would you feel then.

Not all USB cables are the same, even though the may look identical.

Edited by datacommando
Added link

Hi Datacommando - 

Hey, that's a very astute observation, and I sincerely thank you for taking the time to respond! :)

But yep, that was one of the first things I tried. This (continuing our aviation theme) is a blue sky failure. What worked in December does not work this past week. Any other long-shot possibilities you might propose?

Thanks again!

Poster---Tech-Discovery.jpg

39 minutes ago, Dibubba said:

Any other long-shot possibilities you might propose?

Hmm…. Well, I’m a Mac Pilot and I guess you’re using Windows, so here are a couple of things that may help.

Change USB Root Hub Settings

and/or

Change USB Selective Suspended Settings

For more details check items #3 and #6 in this link:

https://www.softwaretestinghelp.com/usb-device-not-recognized-error/

4 hours ago, revexodus said:

Update!
Got my problem fixed. In Device Manager under Other Devices section there was a HX Stomp with question mark. Right click - Update driver and voilà! HX Edit works. Why i didn't check that at first place?!

Hi,

That’s good to know and maybe your “update” might help others with similar issues.

Why I didn't check that at first place?” - well, it’s  usually the last place you look that reveals the solution. 

;-)

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey people, I had an issue with HX Stomp update process. 

Here is what helped me:

- Connect usb cable to usb 2.0 port DIRECTLY on motherboard (not in a hub, not even on a case) I used default USB-B cable that came with my HX Stomp.

- Keep update app ALWAYS in focus on your screen. DO NOT minimize it or use any other app even atop of it. Yes, in the update description it says that you have to do this          only for some Mac OS type systems, but never the less. Just launch the update app and leave it be on your screen, I am sure you will manage without your PC for 15                    minutes).   

Hope that helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah it is a sad joke of lazy software / firmware development. Happily its not a DAW connect issue only with the HX edit app. I don't understand why its so difficult. If the cable is that sensitive it just means that there is insufficient error checking and correcting routines in the software. Just using the editor to tweak patches while recording   I am constantly bouncing the RECONNECT button. Which works. And if it can display a disconnect message why is there not simply an option to have it automatically reconnect?? It's like a third grade programming fix.  Inexfrickingscusable mediocrity.