Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Possible to share DSP?

homegrownbuddy

Does anyone know if it's possible to daisy-chain two or even three helix together in order to increase DSP? Or will they just act like three separate units? I recently got a second helix gifted to me and my neighbor has one as well. I have some ideas I want to try but it sounds like a lot of setup and foolery to go through if it's not even possible. I think it would be really cool to toy with though :)

3 minutes ago, homegrownbuddy said:

Does anyone know if it's possible to daisy-chain two or even three helix together in order to increase DSP? Or will they just act like three separate units? I recently got a second helix gifted to me and my neighbor has one as well. I have some ideas I want to try but it sounds like a lot of setup and foolery to go through if it's not even possible. I think it would be really cool to toy with though :)

Hi,

Well, that concept is a little odd, but I don’t think so.  I would imagine that each Helix is treated as an independent unit, because if your idea was feasible, it would be happening somewhere right now.  There are enough circuit bending crazies out there and if it ain’t already on UChoob then - no, I can’t see that it would be 3 times the DSP. Although hooking them up to use them for triple the available amount of amps, FX, etc. - sure, but that would still be 3 instances of 2 DSPs rather than 1 instance of 6 processors. Depends how you look at it, I suppose. Before the Legacy FX were added I used to patch in my old POD HD500 for extra those noise making duties, it didn’t add more processing power to the Helix in the terms that you are imagining. Piggy backing modules doesn’t make them one unit.

DSP is for signal processing. 

If you connect multiple devices through sends and returns, you are able to do more signal processing. So you aren't combining the DSP, but you are doing more signal processing!  So is there really a difference except conceptually?

At some point I would have to think latency would become an issue.  Certainly if you're passing signals back and forth between the units requiting A/D D/A conversions everytime.  Personally, if you can't get what you need out of the DSP available in the Helix there's something wrong with your approach I think.

Helix Floor and Rack have S/PDIF  digital Input and Outputs so you can daisy chain between units in the digital domain.

You can also use the USB audio feeds to extend processing using e.g. an iPad running MIDI Guitar 2 to map the guitar signal to MIDI and then play a soft synth back for additional processing within Helix

• 9 months later...

I'm about to try to daisy-chain a pair of Helix floors together using S/PDIF.  I will be able to run guitars, vocals, bass, etc into a Singular Sound Loop Studio linked to a Beat Buddy and use all the FX outs to run specific amplifiers for an installation... when the lockdown finishes obvs.