Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

MIDI via snapshot change

MikeDV1

Re-reading the manual, but thought I'd ask too:  Use Triaxis with the Helix rack.  I would like to be able to change channels of the Triaxis via MIDI - got the concept and usual functions, no problem there.

Is it possible to change snapshots, send a MIDI message, without assigning that message to a footswitch or expression pedal?  That would be that snapshot's only function - change the channel on the Triaxis - nothing else in the patch changes, no switches or expression pedals involved.  I want to do this b/c all of my stomp buttons are in use and I don't want to add another MIDI controller just for the Triaxis..

Default snapshot one - Triaxis on preset one.  Hit SNAPSHOT TWO (after hitting MODE change button to STOMP/SNAPSHOT), Triaxis goes to preset two.  Hit SNAPSHOT ONE and it goes back to Triaxis preset one.

Possible to do this without assigning a button to the MIDI message?

Edit - reading the manual - definitely possible, but for my confusion about how to assign a MIDI change in the control center without assigning it to a footswitch.  Either it's sightly confusing in the manual, or I'm just slightly confused...

On 7/2/2019 at 12:00 PM, MikeDV1 said:

Re-reading the manual, but thought I'd ask too:  Use Triaxis with the Helix rack.  I would like to be able to change channels of the Triaxis via MIDI - got the concept and usual functions, no problem there.

Is it possible to change snapshots, send a MIDI message, without assigning that message to a footswitch or expression pedal?  That would be that snapshot's only function - change the channel on the Triaxis - nothing else in the patch changes, no switches or expression pedals involved.  I want to do this b/c all of my stomp buttons are in use and I don't want to add another MIDI controller just for the Triaxis..

Default snapshot one - Triaxis on preset one.  Hit SNAPSHOT TWO (after hitting MODE change button to STOMP/SNAPSHOT), Triaxis goes to preset two.  Hit SNAPSHOT ONE and it goes back to Triaxis preset one.

Possible to do this without assigning a button to the MIDI message?

Edit - reading the manual - definitely possible, but for my confusion about how to assign a MIDI change in the control center without assigning it to a footswitch.  Either it's sightly confusing in the manual, or I'm just slightly confused...

Although it is for a Hughes & Kettner this video does a nice job of walking you through setting up snapshot MIDI channel changes for many other amps as well.

Thanks for the replies.  Reading (ALWAYS best to do first), then experimenting.  Video was helpful, but I went at it just a bit  differently.

The number of foot switches is limited to a total of ten (set in preferences; for me, two delays, two verbs, etc. etc.), so I didn't want to take up any to control the amp - my original quest.  In the video, you assigned MIDI controls to a particular foot switch.  I'm assuming (not sure, you didn't address it), those foot switches are now dedicated to those MIDI commands, unavailable for other uses without at least that MIDI command being triggered.  You made it so they weren't displayed, but -again, assuming - they're now dedicated to at the very least, a MIDI command.  Let me know if I'm wrong about that part.  I got a little bit confused wondering why you assigned them to foot switches.  I'm susceptible to confusion sometimes...

I took DI's comment literally, and it worked perfectly.

Snapshot 1.  Went to the Command Center, chose the little lighting bolt only, then set my MIDI command to change to program 4 on the MIDI channel of my Triaxis.  Changed to:

Snapshot 2.  Repeat, set MIDI command to now change to program 18 on my Triaxis.

Save.

When I choose the patch, it comes up with the last Snapshot I left it at (for this case, number 1), and the Triaxis goes to preset 4.

When I change to Snapshot 2, Triaxis goes to preset 18 - no other changes, because I didn't program any.

Works perfect, no foot switches assigned to effects required, only the ones assigned to Snapshots, which are only visible when I hit the Mode switch.  

I can now add more changes to each snapshot if I want other adjustments.  I can set up other snapshots to make different changes without changing channels on the Triaxis.

So:  patch 25 comes up - simple delay on, Snapshot 1, preset 4 on the Triaxis.

I hit the mode switch, the bottom row remains my fx stomps for various fx, the top row has 5 Snapshots (chosen in preferences}.

I hit Snapshot two, Triaxis changes to preset 18, crunchy - no other changes.  If I want, I can hit a footswitch on the bottom row to engage the reverb (for instance) without hitting the mode button.

Or, I can hit the mode button, go back to all ten switches are available for assigned effects only.

And so on.  Haven't done it yet, but I can now re-name those from "Snapshot" to "Triaxis Clean", etc.

Awesome!  A bunch of ciphering and planning, but now super easy to control, complex combinations available, and a relatively simple layout to use.

4 hours ago, MikeDV1 said:

Thanks for the replies.  Reading (ALWAYS best to do first), then experimenting.  Video was helpful, but I went at it just a bit  differently.

The number of foot switches is limited to a total of ten (set in preferences; for me, two delays, two verbs, etc. etc.), so I didn't want to take up any to control the amp - my original quest.  In the video, you assigned MIDI controls to a particular foot switch.  I'm assuming (not sure, you didn't address it), those foot switches are now dedicated to those MIDI commands, unavailable for other uses without at least that MIDI command being triggered.  You made it so they weren't displayed, but -again, assuming - they're now dedicated to at the very least, a MIDI command.  Let me know if I'm wrong about that part.  I got a little bit confused wondering why you assigned them to foot switches.  I'm susceptible to confusion sometimes...

Don't want credit where it is not due, that is not my video but one made by a very helpful Helix user. I think the reason he assigned his MIDI commands first to stomp switches was to take advantage of the MIDI auto recognition feature of his amp. I believe at some point in the video he mentions that the MIDI recognition on his amp was not working correctly when he started by using the snapshot switches. Essentially he just used the first step with the stomps to identify the MIDI commands he needed and then removed the stomp assignments and replaced them with snapshots. Anyway it sounds like you got it figured out and you got advice right from the source when DI chimed in. Always a great thing when the guy who helped develop and shepherd the Helix provides instruction.