Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp: FX volume levels, Amp & Cab models through P.A.

Oscargtr

Hello! I’m a new HX Stomp user. 1 month of use. I’ve used only the effects on gigs but would like to broaden to using the amp models.  I’m confused by a few things and would appreciate some help to get me on the right track: 

1) Effects: Volumes seems to vary. Distortion and overdrives seem to be the toughest to balance. Any suggestions on correctly balancing levels? Should the master volume knob on the HX Stomp always be set to the max? 

2) Amp & Cab models through a P.A.: I tried using an amp model & separate cab model through a P.A. in a well equipped Club and the FOH guy said the volume signal was loud but not loud enough. “A bit thin” in his words. I set my Input level to “Line” as tutorials explained. Am I suppose to set both Input and Output to “Line”? 

Thank you in advance for suggestions 

Oscargtr

15 hours ago, Oscargtr said:

Hello! I’m a new HX Stomp user. 1 month of use. I’ve used only the effects on gigs but would like to broaden to using the amp models.  I’m confused by a few things and would appreciate some help to get me on the right track: 

1) Effects: Volumes seems to vary. Distortion and overdrives seem to be the toughest to balance. Any suggestions on correctly balancing levels? Should the master volume knob on the HX Stomp always be set to the max? 

2) Amp & Cab models through a P.A.: I tried using an amp model & separate cab model through a P.A. in a well equipped Club and the FOH guy said the volume signal was loud but not loud enough. “A bit thin” in his words. I set my Input level to “Line” as tutorials explained. Am I suppose to set both Input and Output to “Line”? 

Thank you in advance for suggestions 

Oscargtr

1) You're gonna get 3017 opinions on this one... some will swear on a stack of bibles that only a team of Area 51 geeks, armed with tech looted from downed alien craft can appropriately level volumes with a modeler. As far as I'm concerned all you need is ears. There are numerous ways to boost the volume of a patch... just about every block has a level parameter, though the amp model's channel volume and the output block level should really be all you need. If you max out the unit's master volume knob, then you've got nowhere to go without digging into individual block parameters. Not terribly convenient at a gig...leave yourself some headroom. If you've already red-lined the master volume and it still isn't loud enough, then the levels are too low elsewhere in your patches.

2) Output to line.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the feedback. I see now that tweaking the parameters on the gain effects makes a world of difference. I’m also checking against volumes with other pedals I’ve used in the past to get ball park correct levels. I see what you mean regarding headroom with the master volume. I’ll take that into consideration. 

Output level to Line for the amps & cabs. Thank you

Oscargtr