Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Volume pedal setting tips pls.

jesuscares

Hello,

I am sure this question must have been asked before but can’t find the answer right now.When changing from patch to patch I find the volume shooting up way too high on certain patches &  too low on some.In live situations I keep the volume pedal tilted towards the toe position around 80%  so when i need to boost on solos i can step on it all the way up.I would also prefer it to go all the way to zero on the heel position so i can mute any unwanted signals when not playing. How do I avoid this volume shoot ups when changing patches?

Thanks 

In the global settings, make sure the expression pedal is set to "global". If you have it pulled back to 80% in one patch, the next will load with it still set at 80%.

If your presets are still jumping in volume then you need to balance your presets so they are all equal. There is no shortage of ways to do this on the Helix but the two most common are the "Channel Volume" on the amp model, and the output level  in the output block.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jesuscares said:

Hello,

I am sure this question must have been asked before but can’t find the answer right now.When changing from patch to patch I find the volume shooting up way too high on certain patches &  too low on some.In live situations I keep the volume pedal tilted towards the toe position around 80%  so when i need to boost on solos i can step on it all the way up.I would also prefer it to go all the way to zero on the heel position so i can mute any unwanted signals when not playing. How do I avoid this volume shoot ups when changing patches?

Thanks 

Volume pedals have their uses, but they're not a substitute for leveling the relative volume of your patches for live use. Constantly screwing around with the pedal every time you switch patches is just barely more convenient than bending down to do the same thing with the master volume knob each time, and neither is an effective solution. You really need to spend some time leveling your patch volumes, as suggested in the post above.

The only thing I'd add is that you need to do so at or close to the volume at which you intend to use the patches. *This is critical*. The dB curve is not linear, and perceived loudness varies dramatically with amplitude... it's just how our brains work. If you balance everything at comfy living room volume, your levels will still be all over the place when you crank up to stage volume.

• 4 weeks later...