Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp with OD Pedal

loydall

Hi - I've had the HX Stomp for a few months now and pretty much loving it. I was wondering though - how does an additional overdrive pedal in the FX loop compare with the built-in stomp overdrives? Do you gain any additional quality/"warmth" in your sound? 

Cheers.

4 hours ago, loydall said:

Hi - I've had the HX Stomp for a few months now and pretty much loving it. I was wondering though - how does an additional overdrive pedal in the FX loop compare with the built-in stomp overdrives? Do you gain any additional quality/"warmth" in your sound? 

Cheers.

It handles external OD pedals great. Do you gain anything as in are they BETTER . . . uh . . . I don't think so, no. I think the OD pedals in the Stomp are amazing (looking forward to the King of Tone!).

I do it though from time to time to save blocks. My advice is not to run it through an FX loop. Just place them BEFORE the Stomp and save a block. 

I have an Angry Charlie V2 that I have been using in the fx loop so I can run wah and phaser in the stomp before it.  It sounds great. I use a US Double Nrm or a Whowatt as the amp. But with this set up I can also plug into any clean amp and get a great sound (disable the stomp amps).

I have owned the Pinnacle, Bogner Ecstasy, MXR Badass, and Marshall Jackhammer pedals among others. The Angry Charlie is simply amazing.  I'm just as happy using it as I am the Friedman (Placater) in the Stomp.

I also have gone through all of the pedal in the Helix and Stomp and they just don't have the right character.  The Deranged Master is great in front of an already distorted amp, but non of the pedals really sound like a good rock distortion to me into a clean amp.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2019 at 9:00 AM, DarthHollis said:

I have an Angry Charlie V2 that I have been using in the fx loop so I can run wah and phaser in the stomp before it.  It sounds great. I use a US Double Nrm or a Whowatt as the amp. But with this set up I can also plug into any clean amp and get a great sound (disable the stomp amps).

I have owned the Pinnacle, Bogner Ecstasy, MXR Badass, and Marshall Jackhammer pedals among others. The Angry Charlie is simply amazing.  I'm just as happy using it as I am the Friedman (Placater) in the Stomp.

I also have gone through all of the pedal in the Helix and Stomp and they just don't have the right character.  The Deranged Master is great in front of an already distorted amp, but non of the pedals really sound like a good rock distortion to me into a clean amp.

Im ok with the Helix overdrives,but I still like to have a choice and I had a couple of these before the helix some others I just wanted to have.Top is Fx1 bottom fx 2 , Sorry I just realized you are talking about stomp I have a helix but having these also gives me a good reason to get a stomp as a backup,or something smaller to travel with .

IMG_20190713_200540889.jpg