Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp to Headrush FRFR 108 speaker

sdahe

Hello,

Well I got the Headrush FRFR 108 speaker today and connected the HX Stomp to it but I think Im not doing it right. Many of the distortions don't sound so well.. not even close to the videos I've seen in Youtube. I change the output of the HX Stomp to line (instead of instrument) and connected the cable to the input of the Headrush speaker.  The cleans sound nice but when I put a over drive pedal or rise the drive on any amp it doesn't sound that good. Am I doing something wrong?... is there anything else I have to set in the HX Stomp or the Headrush

I'm having this same problem with FRFR in general. I think I don't like the way the tweeters reproduce overdriven sounds. Try putting a Hi-Lo EQ Block at the end of your signal chain, with the Hi Cut at around 5k. I've found it helps, but since the crossover on the HRHR112 is 2k and on the TS210 it's 2.5k, it doesn't completely solve the problem for me, and setting the cuts lower kills the liveliness of the sound. Using the cab cuts as many suggest didn't work for me, but the slope on the Hi-Lo EQ block is steeper and seems to work better.

27 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

I'm having this same problem with FRFR in general. I think I don't like the way the tweeters reproduce overdriven sounds. Try putting a Hi-Lo EQ Block at the end of your signal chain, with the Hi Cut at around 5k. I've found it helps, but since the crossover on the HRHR112 is 2k and on the TS210 it's 2.5k, it doesn't completely solve the problem for me, and setting the cuts lower kills the liveliness of the sound. Using the cab cuts as many suggest didn't work for me, but the slope on the Hi-Lo EQ block is steeper and seems to work better.

I don't have another free block so I did it in the IR and it's sounding a lot better... thanks!!

From my experience with the Headrush 112 with my stomp:

Raise the headrush off the ground - even a low, folding speaker stand will help massively.

Add an amp block with drive set just at that point where it's about to break up a little. Try the JTM45 model, normal channel (can't remember the name of the amp in helix).

Then an IR block (I use the ownhammer IR files) - cycle through the IRs until you find one you're happy with. On the IR cut the lows around 100 and then pull the high cut down until it starts to dull the sound then go back up slightly.

Then add an overdrive block before your amp - try the TS808 (again, can't remember what it's called in helix) - set the drive to low to start with.

See how that sounds as a starting point - then think about a reverb and/or delay after your IR and then I quite like the LA Studio Comp right at the end of the chain.

I'm certainly no expert with the Stomp but that would be starting point for me to build on and I'm quite happy with the results.

• 2 years later...

Hello guy's,

I have exactly the opposite problem : impossible to get a clean and bright sound from my HX Stomp XL connected to the FRFR112 Headrush..everything sound muted and muffled.

Even when I rise to the max high freqs and cut the low ones in the global IQ, I cannot reach the brightness I have with my small old 200$ amp VOX AC30VT with it's small 10" speaker..

I'll dig into the manual but if you have an idea I take it !

Thanks

1 hour ago, elmanu said:

Hello guy's,

I have exactly the opposite problem : impossible to get a clean and bright sound from my HX Stomp XL connected to the FRFR112 Headrush..everything sound muted and muffled.

Even when I rise to the max high freqs and cut the low ones in the global IQ, I cannot reach the brightness I have with my small old 200$ amp VOX AC30VT with it's small 10" speaker..

I'll dig into the manual but if you have an idea I take it !

Thanks

Sounds like you have a defective speaker.

The HR FRFR series are known to be boomy, and without the DSP options of more expensive speakers are not as "crisp" and "bright".

However, "muted" and "muffled" are not normally an issue.

Have you got it up off the floor (around chest height) and standing vertically (for proper HF dispersion)?

I was perusing the Fractal forum and found this about the HR108

Flattening the HeadRush curve

maybe a Helix genius like rd2rk can figure out if this can be done on the Helix global or block EQs and it can help.
I have a HR108 but switched to using my PC+112 and do not have the EQ savvy to figure it out enough to give advice as to whether it can help HX/HR users.

33 minutes ago, Hey_Joe said:

I was perusing the Fractal forum and found this about the HR108

Flattening the HeadRush curve

maybe a Helix genius like rd2rk can figure out if this can be done on the Helix global or block EQs and it can help.
I have a HR108 but switched to using my PC+112 and do not have the EQ savvy to figure it out enough to give advice as to whether it can help HX/HR users.

Of course it can be done. And it'll sound great in that room, in that position.

Life is too short for all of that.

Here's my highly scientific no graphs required method with my FRFR112:

1 - I start with the speaker off the floor, vertical at about chest height.

2 - I stand about 8-10 ft away, a little off axis with my helix within easy reach.

3 - I play. I tweak the amp's tone-stack until I like it.

4 - While still playing, I try different cabs/IRs/mics/positions until I like it.

I don't bother with EQs because I don't have the EQ savvy or patience to deal with it.

In fact, I usually find a sound I like in step 3 or a few minutes into step 4.

I know it's good enough because I forget what I'm doing and get lost in playing. Silly, I know.

Also, the method is the same regardless of what physical sound system I use.

Now that you know how us geniuses do it, Good Luck in your own pursuit of "The Perfect Tone".

:-)     :-)         :-)       :-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, rd2rk said:

Sounds like you have a defective speaker.

The HR FRFR series are known to be boomy, and without the DSP options of more expensive speakers are not as "crisp" and "bright".

However, "muted" and "muffled" are not normally an issue.

Have you got it up off the floor (around chest height) and standing vertically (for proper HF dispersion)?

Yes I did try several position, and put it up and vertically.

It's like there is a high cut somewhere, or the tweeter off, something like that.

Anyway, I read in a lot of forums that the HR FRFR 108 or 112 were the worst sound experience for other guitarists than me, thus I'm not sure my unit has a problem.

Connected to normal music it sounds great. It's just not designed to sound like a guitar amp, that's all ;)

On 12/3/2021 at 8:12 AM, elmanu said:

It's like there is a high cut somewhere, or the tweeter off, something like that.

Anyway, I read in a lot of forums that the HR FRFR 108 or 112 were the worst sound experience for other guitarists than me, thus I'm not sure my unit has a problem.

Connected to normal music it sounds great. It's just not designed to sound like a guitar amp, that's all ;)

I had the PC112+ & the HR108.  I did not care for either 1 of them. 

On 12/3/2021 at 8:12 AM, elmanu said:

You are right about that....That would be an unrealistic expectation. FRFR is designed to render the almost post production tone of a mic on a cabinet....If you want a guitar amp monitor vibe, you need something akin to a guitar cab...not a fan of 8" anything for monitoring...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have pretty much given up on the FRFR thing.  My Helix sounds best to me without any cab sims or IR's into the FX return of my DSL40C.  It records well using an IR in my DAW, but for monitoring I much prefer the guitar speaker.  This rig does low volume very well! 

• 1 month later...