Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line 6 Updater is required for the upcoming Helix 2.80 release

laxtlo

3 hours ago, laxtlo said:

Hi,

Update is coming very soon i guess :D

This version of Line 6 Updater is required for the upcoming Helix 2.80 release.

https://line6.com/software/readeula.html?rid=8996

Good to know, thanks. If prior releases are any indication downloading the HX Edit package will include matched versions of the editor, drivers, and the updater, even if they are numbered differently.  It still appears that users downloading components separately leads to the lion's share of upgrade problems every time there is a new release. Making backups, downloading these three components as a package(usually named "HX Edit") and then matching up your firmware is probably still the best way for most people to ensure everything is in synch. That way you don't wind up with mismatched versions of for example the editor and the firmware. As always follow release and upgrade instructions and make backups before you change anything.

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

Yes. The only thing you need to download is the HX Edit installer package. Running this installs compatible versions of the driver and Updater program. Run HX Edit to create a backup of your current Helix. Run the Updater to update the firmware. Then run HX Edit again to restore your backup. Done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, laxtlo said:

Hi,

Update is coming very soon i guess :D

This version of Line 6 Updater is required for the upcoming Helix 2.80 release.

https://line6.com/software/readeula.html?rid=8996

Thanks for sharing! Considering that Summer NAMM 2019 starts on July 18, I would really be surprised if 2.8 isn't soon to be released.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Guitarmaniac64 said:

So latest updater want be included in the edit app anymore?
Why waste bandwith downoading this if it is included in the editor?

Bandwidth?....

What do you mean a waste of bandwidth?

Hoping for an unannounced extra model in the release to ‘ease’ the wait. ... and next week release would be extra motivating for Line 6 (so they have another good week to release a patch if needed before NAMM ;-)! 

3 hours ago, markdaniels76 said:

Bandwidth?....

What do you mean a waste of bandwidth?

I pay for data traffic so every kb that is used cost money so i choose bandwith as a lack of a better word english is not my native language

So dl 80 mb for the updater is not so funny if it is included in the editor which i need to dl anyway in order to get 2.80 to work.

5 hours ago, Digital_Igloo said:

When HX Edit 2.80 is available, it will also install the latest version of Line 6 Updater. You MUST update both BEFORE updating your Helix/HX firmware.

And save preset with the 2.80 editor? (Or the existing 2.7 editor?) if i for some reason wants to go back to 2.7 or earlyer FW?

On 7/13/2019 at 6:46 PM, HonestOpinion said:

Thanks for putting this out there. That is an excellent set of instructions from Line6Tony. Nice job!

Hi,

You are usually on very good at spotting minor goofs in these posts, but you must have missed the error in the instructions for how to backup from within Helix Native.

STEP 1b—Backing Up Helix Native

If you don't currently own Helix Native, skip this step.

1. Open any instance of YOUR CURRENT VERSION Helix Native (NOT the new Helix Native 1.80) within your DAW and click the gear icon in the lower left corner to open the Preferences window.
  2. From the Presets/IRs tab, click "Export Bundle."
  3. Choose the destination folder and click "Save."

In version 1.70 Helix Native there is no “gear icon” in the lower left corner, it was replaced by the “My Account” button in the “Marketplace” update. 

This “error” has also been commented/noted on the Helix Family Group on BookFace.

Maybe someone from Line 6 (Tony, Eric) should deal with it swiftly, to avoid any more confusion.

Edited by datacommando
Removed file - low on space
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Good catch on the Native instructions.

Native always seems to be an afterthought. Even on the Native forum, the Line 6 Sticky at the top says "Helix Native 1.50 Available Now". That post is almost 2 years old!

57 minutes ago, datacommando said:

Hi,

You are usually on very good at spotting minor goofs in these posts, but you must have missed the error in the instructions for how to backup from within Helix Native.

1. Open any instance of YOUR CURRENT VERSION Helix Native (NOT the new Helix Native 1.80) within your DAW and click the gear icon in the lower left corner to open the Preferences window.

In version 1.70 Helix Native there is no “gear icon” in the lower left corner, it was replaced by the “My Account” button in the “Marketplace” update. 

This “error” has also been commented/noted on the Helix Family Group on BookFace.

Maybe someone from Line 6 (Tony, Eric) should deal with it swiftly, to avoid any more confusion.

F6D22B69-2CA6-4CA6-A8F1-8FAE69C7B043.jpeg

Nice catch, and hopefully that edit makes it in, thanks! Overall though a well done document.

3 hours ago, datacommando said:

Hi,

F6D22B69-2CA6-4CA6-A8F1-8FAE69C7B043.jpeg

Will do. This is precisely why we're linking to the instructions this time instead of posting them everywhere—so we can make corrections if and when necessary.

Updated now. Clearly, Helix Native 1.80 will include a gear icon and differently-labeled tabs, so I've kept the Restoring presets step the same. Thanks!

3 hours ago, soundog said:

Good catch on the Native instructions.

Native always seems to be an afterthought. Even on the Native forum, the Line 6 Sticky at the top says "Helix Native 1.50 Available Now". That post is almost 2 years old!

Thanks. I know what you mean about Native being an afterthought. The continual occurrence of the same bugs just go to show it.

That “1.50 Available” sticky has irritated me for a very long time - it’s just sloppy maintenance and it happens throughout these forums.

2 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

Nice catch, and hopefully that edit makes it in, thanks! Overall though a well done document.

Thanks HO, although, you are usually the “go to guy” on proof reading this stuff. It is good to see that Line 6 have decided to put some effort into creating a guide to updating. Let’s face it, every update has spawned a multitude of “how”, where” and “update bricked my Helix” posts and the same questions are asked over and over. The “Please Read before posting a new thread” on here has had over 80,000 views and was started by Phi Miller (phil_m) rather than a Line 6 staffer. It’s about time they took a lead.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Digital_Igloo said:

Will do. This is precisely why we're linking to the instructions this time instead of posting them everywhere—so we can make corrections if and when necessary.

Updated now. Clearly, Helix Native 1.80 will include a gear icon and differently-labeled tabs, so I've kept the Restoring presets step the same. Thanks!

Thanks DI, you just beat me in posting my comment, but I will leave it there as reference. Hopefully it will all make sense in the end.

Not sure after DI's post about the doc update whether to credit him or Line6Tony with authorship but in either case just wanted to give everyone a heads up to read through the entire thing. You'll notice if you scroll all the way through the doc that the backups are only Step#1.  As you would expect there are several other steps following the backups required to complete the upgrade detailed in this document. There are also some optional steps you can execute towards the end of the document depending on for example if you want to load the 2.80 Factory and Templates presets. I think many people will want to execute this optional step to load at least the  2.80 Templates presets as this is where you will find the new "Software Remote Templates for controlling DAWs, YouTube, iTunes, Spotify, and other applications via USB". Note the warning in red on this optional step regarding backups before loading the 2.8 Factory and Templates setlists as loading them will wipe out all your custom user setlists as well. Personally I would take another backup at this point before executing this optional step.

Btw, curious if there are any new Factory presets in this firmware release?

Need to follow my own advice about reading through the entire document, the following essentially details option "STEP 5A" and provides an alternate method,  some may find the screenshot helpful.

For anyone who wants to execute the optional step (currently "STEP 4") in the 2.80 release update instructions and load the new 2.8 Factory and/or Template presets here is a screenshot of how after you have executed the global reset and completed that step and your user presets have been cleared, HX Edit's "Restore From Backup" screen can be used (at least in the current 2.71 version of HX Edit) to restore everything else from a backup but not overwrite your brand spankin' new 2.8 Factory and Template setlists with the moldy old ones from the backup you are using for your restore. Phew! Talk about a run-on sentence.

1. Select "Restore From Backup" under "File" on the main HX Edit menu
  2. Select the backup to restore from the dialog box at the top
  3. Use the arrow to expand the "Presets" box
  4. Uncheck the FACTORY 1, FACTORY 2, and/or TEMPLATES boxes
  5. Click the "Restore Backup" button

922852916_HelixRestoreBackupScreen.thumb.jpg.7e9045e657b896c0c8498cf0224d2972.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

You see, I said that you are the guy for “proofing” this stuff. I have had another look at the instructions and it seems the comment that you made about “Steps” has been addressed and corrected. The stages are now listed from Step 1a through 5b. The only other thing the you mentioned previously, and I totally agree with, is that more emphasis should be put on the “Do not use any sort of USB hub” statement. That is a continual PITA.

To answer your curiosity about new factory presets, these are comments left by Digital_Igloo on the Helix FB group.

Eric KleinLJet2Gkdxzg.png We add/delete/tweak presets every update, but you'll never see them unless you specifically load them, as updating never overwrites existing presets.

also this,

Eric KleinLJet2Gkdxzg.png Yes, they've all been tweaked. Plus new ones. They all suck, tho', because they're presets.

Hope this helps - even tho’ they all suck!

• Thanks 1

Additional info regarding tones posted to Line 6 Customtone.

Due to the changes in Firmware v2.80 any patches created in the new version will appear blank if you try to load the preset in any earlier versions of the firmware. In short, any presets created in v2.80 are not backwardly compatible with v2.71 and earlier. Obviously any, and all, of you custom presets made with earlier versions of the firmware will be automatically converted for use with the latest version when transferred via HX Edit to your Helix, HX Effects, HX Stomp or Native.

This has been a Public Information Post 

;-)

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, datacommando said:

You see, I said that you are the guy for “proofing” this stuff. 

I have had another look at the instructions and it seems the comment that you made about “Steps” has been addressed and corrected. The stages are now listed from Step 1a through 5b. The only other thing the you mentioned previously, and I totally agree with, is that more emphasis should be put on the “Do not use any sort of USB hub” statement. That is a continual PITA.

To answer your curiosity about new factory presets, these are comments left by Digital_Igloo on the Helix FB group.

Eric KleinLJet2Gkdxzg.png We add/delete/tweak presets every update, but you'll never see them unless you specifically load them, as updating never overwrites existing presets.

also this,

Eric KleinLJet2Gkdxzg.png Yes, they've all been tweaked. Plus new ones. They all suck, tho', because they're presets.

Hope this helps - even tho’ they all suck!

Needed to follow my own advice to read through the entire upgrade document, my proofing seem to be incremental on this one. Just noticed that "STEP 5A" is essentially a variation and alternate method on what I posted above. I hope some folks will find my instructions and the screenshot a helpful addendum (assuming this method still works in the 2.8 editor). I have to say this is by far the most comprehensive set of upgrade instructions Line6 has ever released for the Helix line. I like it! After your posts regarding the new tweaked Factory presets as well as the new Templates for controlling DAWS, etc. I would guess a lot of folks will want to load these new setlists up.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, HonestOpinion said:

Needed to follow my own advice to read through this entire document, my proofing seem to be incremental on this one. Just noticed that "STEP 5A" is essentially a variation and alternate method on what I posted above. I hope some folks will find my instructions and the screenshot a helpful addendum (assuming this method still works in the 2.8 editor). I have to say this is by far the most comprehensive set of upgrade instructions Line6 has ever released for the Helix line. I like it! After your posts regarding the new tweaked Factory presets as well as the new Templates for controlling DAWS, etc. I would guess a lot of folks will want to load these new setlists up.

As noted - this update is the major one, so far, and as so many folks managed to screw up on the installation process previously, there may well be a lot of guidance required on his one. I think there may be ongoing amends to the already published "It's NOT Out Yet" document. Some one made comment in another forum about how Line 6 were making this "backup routine" sound very scary, to which DI replied that they wanted to make it sound like that - his usual standard of humour of course. It may well have been Eric or Tony who has also surreptitiously modified the "sticky" thread to read "Helix Firmware 2.80 (Available [second] SPRING 2019)".

This integration of the Keyboard thing is going to be interesting - stick around it's gonna be fun!

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, datacommando said:

As noted - this update is the major one, so far, and as so many folks managed to screw up on the installation process previously, there may well be a lot of guidance required on his one. I think there may be ongoing amends to the already published "It's NOT Out Yet" document. Some one made comment in another forum about how Line 6 were making this "backup routine" sound very scary, to which DI replied that they wanted to make it sound like that - his usual standard of humour of course. It may well have been Eric or Tony who has also surreptitiously modified the "sticky" thread to read "Helix Firmware 2.80 (Available [second] SPRING 2019)".

This integration of the Keyboard thing is going to be interesting - stick around it's gonna be fun!

As has been their practice in general with the Helix line Line6 has opted to provide maximum flexibility and choices for their users. They could have made the upgrade process just automatically overwrite the Factory and Template setlists with the new ones but many people customize these presets. Doing that would have overwritten their edits. Perhaps in the future they may want to provide an option to do this in the upgrade screens. For now Line6's provision of detailed and in my opinion fairly clear update instructions provides users with more options but does require more attention to detail during the upgrade process so I'm glad they made it "scary". Backups, backups, backups. Don't want to see anyone left without the presets they have spent so much time on after the upgrade. Agree, the keyboard integration is awesome!

• Upvote 2

Is it just me or have they improved the tone and feel of the new updater?

I plugged my guitar into the updater app this morning and my high ends and crunches seemed just ... kind of updaty but more so.

as if with added updater freshness.

updates just feel more ... real and that old inauthentic updater-sim quality is no more.

( oh and my farts now smell like petunias )

59 minutes ago, d0stenning said:

Is it just me or have they improved the tone and feel of the new updater?

I plugged my guitar into the updater app this morning and my high ends and crunches seemed just ... kind of updaty but more so.

as if with added updater freshness.

updates just feel more ... real and that old inauthentic updater-sim quality is no more.

( oh and my farts now smell like petunias )

I haven’t checked that out yet, but I had a quick look and noticed the additional tuner - super accurate! 

;-j

On 7/14/2019 at 2:21 AM, HonestOpinion said:

Not sure after DI's post about the doc update whether to credit him or Line6Tony with authorship but in either case just wanted to give everyone a heads up to read through the entire thing. You'll notice if you scroll all the way through the doc that the backups are only Step#1.  As you would expect there are several other steps following the backups required to complete the upgrade detailed in this document. There are also some optional steps you can execute towards the end of the document depending on for example if you want to load the 2.80 Factory and Templates presets. I think many people will want to execute this optional step to load at least the  2.80 Templates presets as this is where you will find the new "Software Remote Templates for controlling DAWs, YouTube, iTunes, Spotify, and other applications via USB". Note the warning in red on this optional step regarding backups before loading the 2.8 Factory and Templates setlists as loading them will wipe out all your custom user setlists as well. Personally I would take another backup at this point before executing this optional step.

Need to follow my own advice about reading through the entire document, the following essentially details option "STEP 5A" and provides an alternate method,  some may find the screenshot helpful.

For anyone who wants to execute the optional step (currently "STEP 4") in the 2.80 release update instructions and load the new 2.8 Factory and/or Template presets here is a screenshot of how after you have executed the global reset and completed that step and your user presets have been cleared, HX Edit's "Restore From Backup" screen can be used (at least in the current 2.71 version of HX Edit) to restore everything else from a backup but not overwrite your brand spankin' new 2.8 Factory and Template setlists with the moldy old ones from the backup you are using for your restore. Phew! Talk about a run-on sentence.

1. Select "Restore From Backup" under "File" on the main HX Edit menu
  2. Select the backup to restore from the dialog box at the top
  3. Use the arrow to expand the "Presets" box
  4. Uncheck the FACTORY 1, FACTORY 2, and/or TEMPLATES boxes
  5. Click the "Restore Backup" button

922852916_HelixRestoreBackupScreen.thumb.jpg.7e9045e657b896c0c8498cf0224d2972.jpg

The steps detailed in the post above replace step 5a in the official Line6 update instructions and will save you some setlist shuffling but.... proceed with caution or just be safe and follow Line6's instructions, however this does work.

I would recommend this for experienced users only. Otherwise you are probably best served just following the Line6 instructions provided (proceed at your own risk, I assume no liability, grin, this is just a heads up that the old method seems to work). Just wanted to confirm for those who have been through former updates, are fairly computer literate, or particularly intrepid, that this method of restoring your user setlists after having updated to the newest Factory and Template setlists(step 4 in the upgrade directions) does work in the new 2.80 software.  Make sure you do an additional "Create Backup" after getting your software up to the 2.80 software and before executing step 4.  The steps detailed in the post above replace step 5a in the official Line6 update instructions, proceed with caution.