Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Problem : Connecting Pod 2.0 With Usb2midi Cable

Hello everybody,

For Xmas, i bought a new cable called USB to Midi (USB2MIDI) with 1 usb male, a small device (converting usb to midi) and 2 midi plug (IN and OUT)

like this one :

LogiLink Cable USB MIDI

http://www.amazon.fr/LogiLink-C%C3%A2ble-USB-MIDI-pour/dp/B000XRI3CC

and this cable works fine with some software like Reaper, Guitar Pro or MIDI-OX :

i can record commands from pod 2.0 with Reaper for instance, or send commands

BUT

i can't open Line 6 Edit to edit/save/import/export my own effects

1 - I can see other posts with same kind of problem : can't connect to line 6 Edit with LogiLink cable --> M-Audio recommended ok fine but i don't really want to buy another cable

2 - I have already tested my cable with MIDI-OX : seem to work fine : input & output are ok, with Reaper too : i can record when i change something on the pod, then, i can receive what i record previously

3 - My old computer with MIDI /GAME port and old midi cables (no USB) works fine with my POD 2.0, so the pod 2.0 is ok

4 - I have the latest version of Line 6 Edit & Java up to date too...  I have also tried some older version of Line 6 Edit just in case ...

5 - Help me please :-) i can see the talented people here !

6 - I'm french but i can understand English if it's simple :-)

Are you sure ? what is different between those two cables ? My brother is pretty good in electronic and told me all this cable are the same : a simple converter and it's ok so no need to buy a brand ... you think it's not totally true, M-Audio would be 'more compatible' ?

i saw on this page 

http://line6.com/support/topic/3492-problem-to-connect-the-pod-20-with-a-midi-usb-device/?hl=m-audio&do=findComment&comment=23159

that the last guy seems to have issues even with M-Audio device

Just see :

Ikar0s

Just Startin'

• photo-thumb-1856119.jpg?_r=1385729463
  • Members
  • bullet_black.png
  • 2 posts
Neutral
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:19 AM

Hi again, I won a small battle. Now i try WIN xp and the FLASH memory was upgraded successfully, but the LINE 6 Monkey still doesn't recognize installed version. The probleme with LINE6 Edit still remains. it doesn't recognize my POD2.0.

Can somebody help me?

THX

Regardless of someone else's issues, we're trying to fix your problem. Unless you try the suggested interface then it is impossible to rule it out. And yes, we are sure that not all interfaces are created equal.

I spent four months on another forum trying to help a guy get his SysEx working for his synth. The instant he tried a better MIDI interface as I had suggested in the first place it worked first time.

Sure, it may not fix your issue, but without eliminating it as the cause there is no way for us to move forward.

• Upvote 1

the m-audio interface has more robust musician geared drivers...

most other midi interfaces use windows built in general drivers... 

that also is a pretty big difference, i do believe that the hardware itself is more reliable as well.

it is worth getting.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey! This problem again, but some solutions founded!

I've bought cheap MIDI<->USB

Using XP+SP3 newest Monkey and all the Line6 drivers.

Line6 Editor doesn't see POD 2.0

Monkey doesn't see POD 2.0

Midi Quest 11 doesn't see POD 2.0

BUT

I've found Podman 32 free software http://clients.teksavvy.com/~ccoutlee/podman.htm

and it see my POD 2.0 with no problem. I move pots in software - sound changes. I move pots in POD and pots on the screen moves along too.

Only problem - I can't save my preset using Podman32 software buttons, only pressing SAVE in my POD works... but still works, and each change may be added and saved :)

Interesting is - I do nothing with drivers, cables or other stuff. Just run Line6 Editor or Midi Quest11 and computer doesn't see POD2.0. Run Podman 32 after that and works well... POD2.0 magically appears. So far, I think cheap MIDI<->USB works well and this is a problem of software not device.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Hey! This problem again, but some solutions founded!

I've bought cheap MIDI<->USB

Using XP+SP3 newest Monkey and all the Line6 drivers.

Line6 Editor doesn't see POD 2.0

Monkey doesn't see POD 2.0

Midi Quest 11 doesn't see POD 2.0

BUT

I've found Podman 32 free software http://clients.teksavvy.com/~ccoutlee/podman.htm

and it see my POD 2.0 with no problem. I move pots in software - sound changes. I move pots in POD and pots on the screen moves along too.

Only problem - I can't save my preset using Podman32 software buttons, only pressing SAVE in my POD works... but still works, and each change may be added and saved :)

Interesting is - I do nothing with drivers, cables or other stuff. Just run Line6 Editor or Midi Quest11 and computer doesn't see POD2.0. Run Podman 32 after that and works well... POD2.0 magically appears. So far, I think cheap MIDI<->USB works well and this is a problem of software not device.

Hi,

I know this post is rather old, but I just noticed it. I am the programmer who wrote the Podman 32 software and I thought I would comment on your problem. This issue you are having with your midi interface seems to be that it is having trouble working with MIDI sysex commands (or in Windows MIDI terms, long midi messages). When programming with MIDI devices on Windows there are two different kinds of MIDI messages that can be sent between MIDI devices. Short midi messages and long midi messages. Short midi messages include commands to play notes, control change messages, program (or patch) change messages etc. These are the type of midi messages that are sent when you turn the pots on the POD such as turning up the drive on the POD etc. These seem to be working fine with your midi cable as you mentioned that using my Podman 32 software and turning the pots on the Pod causes the sliders to move on screen. Long midi messages however, are used when you need to send more complex information between devices and is used to send sysex messages (which is short for system exclusive messages). Just like it sounds, these messages are exclusive to a particular device. In other words, the POD's sysex messages are exclusive to the POD and are only understood by a Line 6 POD or software written to interface with a POD like Line 6 Edit or my Podman 32 software. These are more complex messages to send and receive via MIDI and can be different lengths. The POD uses sysex commands to send and receive entire patches between the POD and the computer. My Podman 32 program uses the sysex commands when you save a preset to the POD from the program. Since you said that part isn't working, that is what leaves me to believe that your midi interface is having issues with sysex commands or long midi messages. Also, Line 6 Edit and other programs use sysex commands to identify the POD. You say that Line 6 Edit doesn't see the POD. Since Line 6 Edit works with multiple Line 6 products, it has to identify which product it is hooked up to. HOw it does that is that it sends out sysex commands that ask connected devices to identify themselves. The POD would then respond with another sysex command back to the computer with a sysex message that contains information identifying itself so that Line 6 Edit knows which Line 6 product is connected (ie. POD 2.0 or POD XT, or Bass POD etc.) If either the message sent from Line 6 Edit doesn't get to the POD correctly, or, the response back from the POD doesn't get through, then Line 6 Edit doesn't detect the POD. My program doesn't have a problem since it is only designed to work with one Line 6 product, POD 2.0 and doesn't do any auto detecting of the device using sysex commands. It just assumes that you have a POD 2.0 hooked up and goes from there.

Basically, your midi interface isn't working properly. It seems to be only working with regular short midi messages, but not long midi messages used for sysex commands. I am not a hardware expert, but I would tend to think it is driver issues. I would suggest trying to find new drivers or look for another midi interface. Myself, I am using the M-audio uno usb with just the built-in default Windows drivers and it works fine on several computers that I have tried.

I hope this is helpful.

Christopher

Hi Chris!

Thanks for the information! I have noticed the same phenom on other midi devices using the cheaper cables (devices like R-Tron Chameleon, Voodu Valve, D-Tech 2101). The short messages get through but seem to time out on the longer ones (sysex dumps for ex.).

Excellent program btw I have used that one myself - still waiting for the XT version :)

-Bill

• 4 weeks later...

After reading this forum, this sounds like an issue I'm having.  Several years ago I bought a midi/usb interface cable by M-Audio.  I connected to my POD 2.0 and my Apple Macintosh PowerBook G4. Using Line6 Edit software it worked beautifully! I could edit and save all my sounds on the POD (which is an older POD-purchased around 2000, then bought the chip to upgrade to 2.0). In 2011 I upgraded my laptop to MacBook Pro but, after downloading Monkey and Line6 Edit software, it will not recognize my POD anymore.  I can still go back to my old PowerBook and make edits but I'm looking to give that computer away soon and would like to edit on my newer laptop.  Any ideas?