Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix LT or Floor, can they be used to control helix native??

goodpunk6

At present, the full Helix units and HXFX can send CC#s to control FX ON/OFF, Snapshots and anything else that CC#s can control in Native.

Helix Native does NOT at this point, respond to PC#s.

2 hours ago, rd2rk said:

At present, the full Helix units and HXFX can send CC#s to control FX ON/OFF, Snapshots and anything else that CC#s can control in Native.

I wrote an article for Guitar Player magazine on using program changes with amp sims. I found that most stand-alone sims could respond to program changes, but oddly, with Windows I have yet to find a VST3 plug-in that recognizes program changes - although VST2 versions of the same plug-in often do. I don't know if there's some underlying change in the VST spec that broke using program changes in VST3 and would require a significant rewrite, whether there's some particular issue with program changes and VST3 plug-ins, or whether any of this relates to Helix Native. 

In Reaper you can automate and make PC# control "FX presets" changes. This somehow changes the whole plugin state including the Helix preset. So the PC#s can be used at "higher" DAW instance. I guess it shoud work in other DAWs which have their own "FX presets".

• Thanks 1

On 7/12/2019 at 10:19 AM, rd2rk said:

On 7/12/2019 at 12:44 PM, craiganderton said:

I have yet to find a VST3 plug-in that recognizes program changes - although VST2 versions of the same plug-in often do.

This is all very interesting. Has anyone tried Helix Native in a VST2 environment to see if it responds to program changes there. By default I would think most modern DAW's would load the VST3 versions... but I'm pretty sure you have a choice to install "either or both" during the Helix Native install routine. If program changes work with a VST2 install then at least it would be a work around when needed. 

Haven't tried VST (I'm using AU), but Helix Native simply doesn't have the chops to respond to PC#s. My S-Gear plug-in (and standalone app) does. Also, the S-Gear docs say the VST plug-in also responds to PC#s.

3 hours ago, codamedia said:

This is all very interesting. Has anyone tried Helix Native in a VST2 environment to see if it responds to program changes there. By default I would think most modern DAW's would load the VST3 versions... but I'm pretty sure you have a choice to install "either or both" during the Helix Native install routine. If program changes work with a VST2 install then at least it would be a work around when needed. 

I believe Helix Native is VST3/AU/AAX only. 

2 hours ago, soundog said:

Haven't tried VST (I'm using AU), but Helix Native simply doesn't have the chops to respond to PC#s. My S-Gear plug-in (and standalone app) does. Also, the S-Gear docs say the VST plug-in also responds to PC#s.

Is the version of S-Gear you're using VST2 or VST3? If the VST3 version responds to program changes, then that means other sim plug-ins can as well. Why they don't would be the next question :)

16 minutes ago, craiganderton said:

Why? The pilot's guide says it is also VST2 and it appears as VST and VST3 in Reaper plugin list (Windows).

29 minutes ago, craiganderton said:

Why they don't would be the next question :)

And the answer would be simple: Program Changes are either implemented or not. It does not matter what plug-in type it is.

4 hours ago, craiganderton said:

During the install of Helix Native it states.... 

"NOTE: The VST2 plug-in installation location, if installed, will be determined by the user during the installation process."

From there you are given the option to install a VST2 version, a VST3 version and an AAX... then choose a location for the VST2 DLL. 

IIRC, I’m using the vst2 version, as I do with all plugins that use presets, because for some reason, Steinerg didn’t implement PC#s in the vst3 spec. I discovered this long ago trying to use the Ampltube vst3 version in Sonar. However, even if they had, Native has not yet implemented that function. Why? “Why is the sky blue daddy?”

4 hours ago, zolko60 said:

Are you sure? There indeed were some changes how Steinberg implemented PC# in VST3.
https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=74526

I didn’t ask mr. Steinberg or examine the code, but information provided at the Sonar forum (I think), combined with the fact that no vst3 plugin that i’ve tried responds to pc#s would indicate it.

On 7/14/2019 at 3:12 PM, zolko60 said:

Why? The pilot's guide says it is also VST2 and it appears as VST and VST3 in Reaper plugin list (Windows).

The blurb on the Helix Native landing page used to say "Helix Native is compatible with a broad range of digital audio workstations, providing powerful 64-bit performance on AAX, AU, VST2, and VST3 platforms." However, I went there and now it says "Helix Native is compatible with a broad range of digital audio workstations, providing powerful 64-bit performance on AAX, AU, and VST3 platforms." I dug a little deeper, and found that it doesn't do VST2 on Mac, only on Windows.

On 7/14/2019 at 12:29 PM, craiganderton said:

Is the version of S-Gear you're using VST2 or VST3? If the VST3 version responds to program changes, then that means other sim plug-ins can as well. Why they don't would be the next question :)

I'm using UA with the latest version of S-Gear. The manual states that the plugin formats are AU, AAX, and VST3 for Mac, and VST2.4, AAX for Windows. The manual implies that all those versions of the plug-ins and the standalone version support program changes.  Hmmmm .... no VST3 for Windows, so maybe PC support is a factor? Dunno.