Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX stomp and Yamaha thr10

alarmclarke

New to line 6 and just got the HX stomp. Fantastic device for sure. I'm using my Yamaha Thr as the monitor. The way I have it hooked up is with a 1/4 inch Y with ring and tip leads to an 1/8 inch stereo connector into the aux input of the thr this bypasses all the amp functions of the thr. Am I gaining anything by trying to use the stereo method or should I just go mono with one 1/4 inch stereo to 1/8 inch stereo. I had the y cable on hand so I thought I would try it. Please let me know your thoughts on the best way to cable this setup. Im thinking about purchasing some real monitors but I just use it for home use so I need low volume and its hard to find any good ones that aren't overkill on wattage. If anyone has any suggestions for optimizing my HX stomp condo setup please let me know.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I am sure there are other options, but are 2 options I've used:

HX/Helix into the THR's instrument in: In this case, the only really usable amps are clean or flat models.  And, IMO the flat sounds great.  Using any of the other THR amps with effects in front leads to less-than-satisfying tones.  Also, when using the THR instrument in port you loose the stereo capabilities of the HX/Helix. This is a real bummer because those stereo effects are huge fun to experiment with.

HX/Helix into the THR's aux in: In this setup you do get stereo output, and essentially are using the THR as nothing more than monitor speakers. It sounds good, and the stereo effects are outstanding.  But, IMO the overall sound quality is a step down from using the THR's instrument in (although that could be a function of how the HX/Helix patch is setup).

On 7/12/2019 at 5:26 PM, alarmclarke said:

New to line 6 and just got the HX stomp. Fantastic device for sure. I'm using my Yamaha Thr as the monitor. The way I have it hooked up is with a 1/4 inch Y with ring and tip leads to an 1/8 inch stereo connector into the aux input of the thr this bypasses all the amp functions of the thr. Am I gaining anything by trying to use the stereo method or should I just go mono with one 1/4 inch stereo to 1/8 inch stereo. I had the y cable on hand so I thought I would try it. Please let me know your thoughts on the best way to cable this setup. Im thinking about purchasing some real monitors but I just use it for home use so I need low volume and its hard to find any good ones that aren't overkill on wattage. If anyone has any suggestions for optimizing my HX stomp condo setup please let me know.

Thanks

Of course, if you go with a pair of powered 5" (or larger) Studio Monitors (of your choice), you'll have greater positioning flexibility, better bottom end, and higher capable SPLs. Nonetheless, for really close near field use, I've enjoyed using my THR10C with my Helix Floor and with my HX Stomp. I also have JBL LSR305 and LSR308 (either with JBL LSR10S). The THR10C certainly is impressive at near field low SPLs to the LSR305. When I use the THR10C with my Helix gear, I prefer to use its Stereo AuxIn, allowing all the Amp, Cab, and FX choices to be provided by the Helix gear. YMMV. 

15 hours ago, plumber said:

Wouldn't headphone out to aux in be a better solution?

I'll give it a try when I'm next home

Why "better?" I suppose it's simpler if all you got is a TRS cord. 

It is a nice feature of the Stomp, sure, but the headphone amp doesn't pack as much juice as the regular ins and outs. 

• 8 months later...

I resurrect this thread just for a clarification. I just bought and HX Stomp and I own a THR10. To use the latter as a speaker for the stomp, should I connect the L Mono OUT of the Stomp to the Aux In of the THR, right? I am not supposed to use the headphones out? 

3 hours ago, MusicLaw said:

You may do either. If you want to explore any of the Stomp's Stereo features (highly recommended), then use either the Stomp's Headphone's out, or both of the Stomp's Main Outs (L & R).

In the latter case I would need a Y cable with two 1/4 inch TS jacks and 1 1/8 inch one, right?

Yup! A Y-cable comprised of Two (2) 1/4" TS to One (1) 1/8" TRS.  I have several inexpensive HOSA brand versions in various lengths which have worked just fine. Their 1/4" plugs are conveniently L & R color coded and I got them a few years ago from Amazon. 

https://www.amazon.com/conector-pulgadas-CMP-159-conexión-unidades/dp/B005HGM1D6/ref=sr_1_3?crid=20IEJ8UUPFEAY&dchild=1&keywords=hosa+3.5mm+to+1%2F4&qid=1590529315&sprefix=hosa%2Caps%2C215&sr=8-3

or

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-HMP-006Y-3-5mm-Stereo-Breakout/dp/B0084O7FPM/ref=sr_1_6?crid=20IEJ8UUPFEAY&dchild=1&keywords=hosa+3.5mm+to+1%2F4&qid=1590529315&sprefix=hosa%2Caps%2C215&sr=8-6

• 5 months later...