Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

lots of bottom end issue

s7nstringsofhell

Good catch Dragon. Yea the speaker/Cab is gonna be over 50% or your sound/tone, so S7 are you using FRFR, a Cab, Headphones?

What "style" of music are you doing and what kind of guitar pickups are involved? Bass rolled back and still bassy? Any clips to share? 

Lots of little things put together can cause a big thing.

• Like 1

This post really “resonates” with me.  I had several patches I programmed monitoring through some genelec monitors.  

Then I put headphones on and was aghast at how bright everything was... so I started tweaking everything.  Then I took off the headphones and realized everything was way too dark and boomy.  So yeah, what you’re monitoring through is critical.

If possible, play some program material that you’re very familiar with through your monitor/headphones as reference and go from there.

Having said that, the ways I deal with bass are:

1) guitar/pickups

2) patch cable choice

3) cabinet choice

4) mic choice/proximity

5) amp settings... sometimes upping mids and top end can balance everything

6) shelf eqs.  This is a last resort... I generally try to get the chain as simple as possible before throwing more “crap” into it.

Sean Meredith-Jones

www.seanmeredithjones.com

• Like 1

Yeah you definitely need to 'get accustomed' to the colouring of your monitor system.  I know that if I tweak things via my powered wedge, it translates pretty well to our full PA (something weird in the mids going on, but not enough to be concerned...the top/low ends are fine.  However, if I tweak via my headphones, I know that those are boomier or thicker in the lower mids and I make sure to not over tweak by making them sound good, cause when it goes to the wedge/PA it will be thin and harsh.  The headphones are good at helping with the high end, but the low end is the problem spot there.

Just have to know your system and what its weak points are and keep that in mind.  That's something where normally you would tweak with your ears not your eyes, but I would say use your head/eyes in my case.  If Its boomy and my bass is at 2.5, then be smart and only make a small adjustment and recognize its the monitor system.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, s7nstringsofhell said:

I play metal. I play through Dimarzio illuminators and Seymor Duncan Seymour Duncan JB TB-4.
I have Yamaha 5 FRFR monitors. 

Thank you for the comments. 

I am new to this stuff so i am trying to learn. 

I'm assuming you mean you're using Yamaha HS-5 studio monitors for your output.  If so those should be pretty accurate as long as you have them positioned correctly.  I have HS-7 studio monitors and the guidelines for these speakers is to have them placed at least 12-18 inches away from the wall in order for the bass reflex port to work correctly.  All studio monitors require a some accurate speaker and listener positioning to get a good representation of the sound.  Basically an equal triangle between the two speakers and the listener.

Although that could have some impact on your sound, I suspect it lies more in the presets you may be using.  It would help to know which amp models you've been using as some are very bassy.  Other than that you might want to look at which mic's you're using on the cabinets.  Ribbon mics will be more bassy, dynamic and condenser mics will be more toward mid range.  Also the distance parameter on the mics can have a big impact on the tone, so reducing your mic distance will reduce the lower frequencies.  And finally you can use the low cut parameter on either the cabs or separately with the Parametric EQ.  Generally I keep my low cuts set to between 80 Hz to 120 Hz, but some amp models or tones require that I go as high as 140 to 150 Hz.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2019 at 2:09 AM, DunedinDragon said:

I'm assuming you mean you're using Yamaha HS-5 studio monitors for your output.  If so those should be pretty accurate as long as you have them positioned correctly.  I have HS-7 studio monitors and the guidelines for these speakers is to have them placed at least 12-18 inches away from the wall in order for the bass reflex port to work correctly.  All studio monitors require a some accurate speaker and listener positioning to get a good representation of the sound.  Basically an equal triangle between the two speakers and the listener.

Although that could have some impact on your sound, I suspect it lies more in the presets you may be using.  It would help to know which amp models you've been using as some are very bassy.  Other than that you might want to look at which mic's you're using on the cabinets.  Ribbon mics will be more bassy, dynamic and condenser mics will be more toward mid range.  Also the distance parameter on the mics can have a big impact on the tone, so reducing your mic distance will reduce the lower frequencies.  And finally you can use the low cut parameter on either the cabs or separately with the Parametric EQ.  Generally I keep my low cuts set to between 80 Hz to 120 Hz, but some amp models or tones require that I go as high as 140 to 150 Hz.

1 message up 

HS 5's have litterly no bass to them, they cut drastically around 110 or something like that so that is a bit odd   Maybe you're over compensating for that in your patch building. 

As someone has indicated, play some reference tracks and check your tones against that. 

8 hours ago, rucmas said:

HS 5's have litterly no bass to them, they cut drastically around 110 or something like that so that is a bit odd   Maybe you're over compensating for that in your patch building. 

As someone has indicated, play some reference tracks and check your tones against that. 

The patches i used are pre built ones i purchased. different makers for each i doubt the all come with the same issue. 

:( 

If you just play a song from your library in your phone through your speakers is it still bottom heavy?

Next try stereo out of your phone through your helix’s auxiliary inputs... same issue?  If yes to any of them, then you know where the problem lies.... not with your guitars or patches.

if all those check out....

You might have to go item by item after that if you still have the same issue..  you can try:

different speakers/headphones

different guitar

different patch cable

If still the same,

Start rebuilding your your own patches item by item.  Start with no blocks.  Still bottom heavy?

Add an amp/cab block.  Keep all eqs flat.  No shelf filter eqs.  Try condenser mics first to cut down on bass.... NO ir’s... NO PRESET patches.... just simple amp/cab/mic all from the helix. Keep the bass on the amp low at first and add to taste.  

Let us know what happened after your testing.

Sean Meredith-Jones

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Smj7 said:

If you just play a song from your library in your phone through your speakers is it still bottom heavy?

Next try stereo out of your phone through your helix’s auxiliary inputs... same issue?  If yes to any of them, then you know where the problem lies.... not with your guitars or patches.

if all those check out....

You might have to go item by item after that if you still have the same issue..  you can try:

different speakers/headphones

different guitar

different patch cable

If still the same,

Start rebuilding your your own patches item by item.  Start with no blocks.  Still bottom heavy?

Add an amp/cab block.  Keep all eqs flat.  No shelf filter eqs.  Try condenser mics first to cut down on bass.... NO ir’s... NO PRESET patches.... just simple amp/cab/mic all from the helix. Keep the bass on the amp low at first and add to taste.  

Let us know what happened after your testing.

Sean Meredith-Jones

I'll try this

19 hours ago, teo-torriate said:

If the global EQ is active, you see an icon to the left of the Screenshot icon.

Press the menü-button (right beside the Save-button) and press knob 5 (global EQ).

I included pictures of the settings and patches.
This patch has 0 bass. 

image.thumb.png.67e633e6743f0520aeeebe89417befca.png

helix1.jpg

helix2.jpg