Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD 500X keeps crashing.

matonanjin

Maybe "crashing" isn't the most descriptive word because it doesn't crash my system.  It just quits working.  No volume.

I'm running the POD HD 500X on my Windows 10 system.  It is set up as my audio device.  It will work just fine, maybe for an hour or 2 or 3.  Then it just quits working.  I will reboot and then it will work fine again for some varying period of time.  And then it will quit.  And then I will reboot.  Ad infinitum.  It is really annoying.  And, of course, when I am practicing something that I really want to work on is when it quits.

The length time that it works for varies.  Sometimes 30 minutes; sometimes several hours.  And I really can't see any pattern to what I am playing to the  length that it works.  If I use my PD HD for anything the most it would be with Video Surgeon of Corey Congilio TrueFire guitar lessons or of Blues Guitar Unleashed lessons.  I'm not sure what I am playing effects how long it works.

I am running the POD into JBL monitors.

And, yes, I have the newest POD HD 500X driver installed.  And I have reinstalled the driver I have forgotten how many times.  And my Window 10 automatically updates.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.  My wife is tired of my screaming at this thing!

My computer is an Intel Core2 running at 2.93 GHz with 4 Gig of RAM.  I have acres of hard disk space.  My OS is on a 1 TB drive and about half or that (or more) is available.

The POD HD 500X is set up as my audio system.  The AMD which, I think, is my motherboard is disabled.  The Realtek is disabled.

screenshot1a.jpg.fe79468e3dcfb81be7afc98406c8d463.jpg

Even after it crashes, it shows as "working properly".

screenshot2a.jpg.c762653317608edf06a591cdfea04486.jpg

It is setup as input and output devices.  And it shows like this after it crashes.

screenshot3a.jpg.688eb45b24449dffc4fc800becc2f2ae.jpg

Sometimes crashes that occur after a few hours can be caused by power management settings on USB Controller. You can get at it from the Device Manager and settings can be in the Advanced Power Management Settings. Basically, you want to make sure the Power Management is not idling the Controller. Or at least eliminate it as a suspect.

Other things to check: BIOS version and Chipset drivers for the motherboard are current...

21 hours ago, spaceatl said:

Sometimes crashes that occur after a few hours can be caused by power management settings on USB Controller. You can get at it from the Device Manager and settings can be in the Advanced Power Management Settings. Basically, you want to make sure the Power Management is not idling the Controller. Or at least eliminate it as a suspect.

Other things to check: BIOS version and Chipset drivers for the motherboard are current...

spaceatl, thank you, and joel, for your responses.  Even if these don't resolve my issue you guys responded.

I didn't know there was such a thing as "power management settings on USB Controller" much less how to get at it.  The fact that things go south after varying periods of time certainly is cause for suspicion.  I'll take a look.  Thanks again.

3 hours ago, joel_brown said:

Intel motherboards are very picky about having the right version firmware installed.

Joel, thank you.  I have never updated my firmware.  So certainly this is something that should be investigated/

Something else you can check.

I have an older Sony VAIO Tap 20 that I use with my HD most of the time. It has a USB 3.0 and a USB 2.0 port....Keep in mind that this is nearly a first generation USB 3.0 motherboard as the SATA controller is type 2....But it's a 4 core i7 with 16GB of ram and 2TB SSD so it is still fast enough for what I need from it.

Anyhoo, if I plug my HD into the USB 3.0 port it will bluescreen after several hours. HD on the 2.0 port can stay connected for days at a time with no issues...HD was designed as a USB 2.0 device and not all USB controllers are created equal...I would suggest trying to figure out if you have a 2.0 port and try that...

On 7/23/2019 at 2:07 PM, pianoguyy said:

there's the numerous Windows 10 posts. 

and if you are connected to a computer, there are many 'do not use the expression pedal with EDIT turned on' posts.

Are you saying there are "numerous" posts about problems running Windows 10?

If I'm connected to a computer?!?!  Seriously?  That's what the post is about.  I keep losing sound on my Windows 10 computer.  But I don't have EDIT installed.