Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod 500 & Midi Amp Controll

funkyou86

Dear forum members,

I'm new to midi programming, so I'd love to ask you a couple of questions. I just purchased a Diezel D-moll amp. I'm connecting my POD via the 4 cable method. Also the amp has a MIDI input, so theoretically the channel controlling is possible, but I have no clue how to set up my POD, please advise.

The programming of the Diezel is piece of cake, please see page 16. The amp will remember the incoming midi signal. How do I set up my POD presets to send a midi signal?

I read the manual, so I know that I can assign specific midi messages to footswitches, but I don't want to press a footswitch twice, i want to switch with a single step.

For example, I'd love to have a clean tone on the 1st banks A preset, a crunch tone on the 3rd banks A preset, and a distortion on the 3rd banks A preset. 

"A" preset is controlled everywhere by FS5. How do I make FS5 work on different banks? What kind of midi signal should I send out from my POD device to change the amps channel when switching presets.

Thank you very much for your answers!

Cheers!

Alex

I don't know the Diezel amp, but on its manual you should find which MIDI messages change channel...then just program the pod to send that specific message on the specific button you want. To program the pod you hold the move button and then select the message on the button you need to send...hope that was clear enough!

Unfortunately your manual is inadequate.  It does not fully explain how to achieve midi control.

Your POD is always sending out a midi signal.  For example...  patch 1A might be 001, patch 1D might be 004.

With my amp, the 5150 III, you put it into a "learn mode" and you hit the footswitch to send the head the signal, then you tell/teach the amp what channel you want it to change to.  I put a video up on youtube of exactly how to do it.  I don't know if it will help you, but it might help you understand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFSm6O9htJQ&feature=c4-overview&list=UUt81sBhWi3QdFVNGRykjVOA

I'm usually very good with this sort of stuff but your manual is no very descriptive.  I would suggest contacting Deizel or using a forum specific to them.  Rig-Talk.com has a forum just for Deizel.  It's not your POD's fault.

EDIT - I just double checked the manual.  Look on page 16.  Looks very easy.  Just hook up the midi out on your POD to the midi in on your amp.  Then hit the preset on your POD, change the channel on the D-Moll, then hit save twice.  Now every time you use that preset (2B for example) the D-Moll will switch to that channel.  You cannot save 2B to 3C and expect when you hit 3C you will get the same the channel.  You will have to program that separately.  Hope this helps.

Hey folks!

Thanks for your answers. I've got my midi cable today so now i had the chance to test your advices. 

@Hollis, I checked your videos maybe weeks ago, they were very helpfull. I found out that the Diezel have a learning mode, something similar like your EVH III does. The solution was unbelievably simple: I connected the Diezel with the POD (via 7/5 midi cable), after that I did not have to set anything on the POD. I still don't know how's that possible, but I just clicked, for example 1st Banks A preset, set the channel on the amp to crunch, pressed the AMPs STORE button twice and that was it. Clicked the 1st banks B preset, set the amp to clean, pressed store twice and that's it. There was no need to set anything on my POD.

Now I'm up to control my POD via Logic or Ableton via midi, so another day, another challange :)

Anyway, I'm very thankfull for your advices and time. 

Cheers!

Alex

Yes, it is that easy.  Glad you got it working.  Using the POD for my channel switching is a huge reason I am using.  It sounds great, don't get me wrong but it takes up a lot of real estate on the floor.  I am using regular pedals too.

What do you think about the opinions, that the POD is cuts and weakens the signal? Have you noticed anything like this? I'm having a littem hum with 4CM, so hope a cable change to Klotz will eliminate that.

It's all about how you set up the POD.  First, input 1 guitar, input 2 Variax.

Dual amp path with both amps off. FX loop located before the amp in path A.  Path A set for 0% panning  and 0db and Path B set for mute.  

The switches are set with the FX loop on Line and the 1/4" output on Line.

i like this set up because there is no loss of signal and I don't have to attenuate or boost the signal anywhere.

For the clean channel I have it set up differently because I want a less hot signal going to the input of my amp and I boost the signal going into the FX loop of my amp at the mixer in the POD.  The amp is off and I just put the FX loop before the amp.

For my distorted patched I try to leave everything whatever the default is.  I have found that the way I have this set up is "zero sum" so to speak.  I don't have attenuate the signal going into the input of the amp and I don't have to mess with the signal in the fx loop of the amp and it sounds the same as if I was plugged straight into the amp and the FX loop is off.  At least to my ears.

Because my pickups are a little hot, with Channel 1 and 2 being shared on the 5150 I have the gain on 6.  This makes the clean channel distort a little.  So for a more clean sound I use a different method that lowers the input volume but also increases the fx volume at the mixer by 3.5 db