Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Firehawk FX with Powercab 112 (Plus)

pbailleur

Hello,

People keep pointing me towards the Boss KATANA Artist but I'm starting to consider buying a Powercab 112. I have a Firehawk FX-pedal which I like.

Anyone using a Powercab 112 with a Firehawk FX-pedal? And what would be the advantage to go for a Powercab 112 plus.

Thanks for sharing your experience. This will help me sort this out ;-)

Philippe

39 minutes ago, pbailleur said:

Hello,

People keep pointing me towards the Boss KATANA Artist but I'm starting to consider buying a Powercab 112. I have a Firehawk FX-pedal which I like.

Anyone using a Powercab 112 with a Firehawk FX-pedal? And what would be the advantage to go for a Powercab 112 plus.

Thanks for sharing your experience. This will help me sort this out ;-)

Philippe

The plus would allow you to use 3rd party IRs, which could be really nice.

It is 100% worth using IR's instead of the firehawk speaker sims, it makes a big jump up in the quality of the sound. 

I recently bought a mooer radar pedal which allows me to replace the firehawk cab sims with impulse responses and it sounds twice as good as it did before, definitely go for the plus

Didn't know this Mooer Radar ... small but broad range pedal. Every answer brings me to new questions.  Start thinking that the combi of Firehawk and Powercab is maybe not the best although Line6 likes to combine the Helix with the Powercab. What I miss now is how I could use the Firehawk to steer the IR-presets on the Powercab ... Any idea about that? 

Here's my $.02...

I've used several output options for my FH including frfr monitors, PA monitors, guitar amps using 4 cable method, no 4 cable method, etc. Then I dropped $600 bucks on the L6 Powercab which I thought was nuts - $600 for something with no tubes, no fx loop, no knobs.. just strictly built for multi effects unit output? First off - THANK YOU guitar center for your generous 45 day return policy! Secondly - the Powercab (mine is not a Plus) was an absolute game changer IMO! I could tell from the very first chord strum this thing was legit and blew away all other options and L6 absolutely NAILED "amp in the room" and "moving air" sound.

The PC (non-plus) breathed new life into my FHFX and for those of us that don't want to take the leap from a $400 FHFX to a $1000-$1500 helix it's totally worth the extra $ for the Amp. I have a very critical ear for tone and the FHFX/Powercab is a fantastic $1000 full gear set-up solution (~$850 if you wait for GC 15% off coupons)! 

Look - FH offers 78 amps, 25 speakers cabinets, 90 + effects, mic options, etc, etc..and many of these are HD. This thing produces fantastic tones and sounds and not all that far off from Helix. Save your $, keep your FHFX, pair it with a Powercab and enjoy for a while until L6 bridges the gap better between FH and Helix. I'm holding out for the Helix FX - basically it's the Firehawk FX on the Helix platform with a Helix "remote app" (tablet/mobile device controlled just like FH and Spider Amp). Don't get too excited, I just made this up.

Last thought on Powercab...

Yes, the 6 speaker options offered are fantastic, they did a great job with this and it's fun to change it up and play out of some classic Celestians, Jensen, Eminence, etc but TBH I stick with the speaker/cab/mic combo's L6 FH models - they did a great job with these and they sound better. Especially trying to produce 2x12, 4x10, 4x12 cab sounds...which BTW also sound amazing through Powercab. To that end - you also DON'T need the Powercab + for $800.

Hope this helps those of you stressing about dumping FH, dropping crazy extra $ on Helix and then STILL needing an output solution. 

• Like 1

I have a Firehawk FX. Generally happy with the tones, although the lag switching patches live requires creativity.

My existing amp is starting to die, so I'm looking for a new one.

Should I get a new line6 modeling amp (and control foot board), or just another regular amp, or the power cab?

I'm not concerned with "it must sound exactly like this", and more just making cool tones that I like (and sometimes sound a lot like the songs I'm covering). So I'm that regard, having a regular amp paired with the Firehawk FX has been ok, even though I know I'm not getting the exact tone that's being modeled, at least I can get sounds I like to play.

In retrospect I wish I had bought a (TBD) amp and foot controller instead of the fire hawk, but since I already have the money sunk... 

So do I buy a new modeling amp and foot controller and sell the Firehawk? Or just buy a new regular amp? Or get a power cab?

10 hours ago, firehawkkwah said:

I have a Firehawk FX. Generally happy with the tones, although the lag switching patches live requires creativity.

My existing amp is starting to die, so I'm looking for a new one.

Should I get a new line6 modeling amp (and control foot board), or just another regular amp, or the power cab?

I'm not concerned with "it must sound exactly like this", and more just making cool tones that I like (and sometimes sound a lot like the songs I'm covering). So I'm that regard, having a regular amp paired with the Firehawk FX has been ok, even though I know I'm not getting the exact tone that's being modeled, at least I can get sounds I like to play.

In retrospect I wish I had bought a (TBD) amp and foot controller instead of the fire hawk, but since I already have the money sunk... 

So do I buy a new modeling amp and foot controller and sell the Firehawk? Or just buy a new regular amp? Or get a power cab?

That's a tough question to answer. I'm a big FRFR believer. Big time. Some people though need that old limited range amp. 

Assuming you can be like that, my biggest rec for the Firehawk is a power cab. Then if you ever decide to get a Helix you're future proofed.

Powercab lets you use IRs or its own high quality cab sounds, which just amplifies your Firehawk's tone even more, or you can just set it to flat mode and use the Firehawk exclusively. 

Win though in my book. 

I second Kilrahi's feedback.. you ARE “future-proofed” with the Powercab. It’s a great investment if you stay with a modeling effects floor unit which are essentially here to stay. Firehawk & Powercab is a fantastic affordable combo (compared to Helix, Headrush, Boss1000, that is). 

Firehawkkwah - you state your not concerned “it should sound exactly like this” and just making good cool tones...well why not have both!? IMO you can and this combo gets you there. I'm up to about 30-40 tones dialed in to sound very damn close to the original songs and nothing has sounded better than having it play out of my Powercab (non-Plus). See my comments above - I've experimented with many options. I also have a super critical ear and don’t settle for just good enough. If you especially like making “patches” that emulate the tone of your fav play along songs why be locked into a one trick pony amp when you can have the sound of 78 amps and 25 speaker cabinets at your fingertips? 

BTW speaking of amp - I just bought the brand new Line 6 Spider V 120 upgraded to MKII with the FBV3 foot controller just to see how it compared to the FHFX/Powercab set up. They definitely improved the sound but even new and improved FHFX/PC was far better! Needless to say Spider V/FBV going back to GC.

• Upvote 1

On 8/4/2019 at 1:45 AM, sbaraban said:

I second Kilrahi's feedback.. you ARE “future-proofed” with the Powercab. It’s a great investment if you stay with a modeling effects floor unit which are essentially here to stay. Firehawk & Powercab is a fantastic affordable combo (compared to Helix, Headrush, Boss1000, that is). 

Firehawkkwah - you state your not concerned “it should sound exactly like this” and just making good cool tones...well why not have both!? IMO you can and this combo gets you there. I'm up to about 30-40 tones dialed in to sound very damn close to the original songs and nothing has sounded better than having it play out of my Powercab (non-Plus). See my comments above - I've experimented with many options. I also have a super critical ear and don’t settle for just good enough. If you especially like making “patches” that emulate the tone of your fav play along songs why be locked into a one trick pony amp when you can have the sound of 78 amps and 25 speaker cabinets at your fingertips? 

BTW speaking of amp - I just bought the brand new Line 6 Spider V 120 upgraded to MKII with the FBV3 foot controller just to see how it compared to the FHFX/Powercab set up. They definitely improved the sound but even new and improved FHFX/PC was far better! Needless to say Spider V/FBV going back to GC.

9 hours ago, firehawkkwah said:

Is the Firehawk 1500 (with the additional foot controller) essentially the same as a Firehawk FX and a Power Cab?

Kind of. I have the Firehawk 1500 and I love it. The processor for the Firehawk modelling in the 1500 is actually slightly more powerful and a little faster than the original Firehawk.

There are some key differences though. In some ways the 1500 is closer in comparison to the Powercab 212 with its stereo separation capabilities. The neat thing about the 1500 is it's been designed to provide a pretty amazing amount of stereo separation between all of its various speakers.  The Firehawk also has bluetooth connection ability which is pretty cool, and an awesome rig for practicing along to backing tracks. Those are pluses for the Firehawk when comparing it to the standard Powercab 112.

However, there are some strengths that the Powercabs have that the Firehawk does not. The biggest and most obvious is weight. The 1500 comes in at a massive 63 pounds. Really, to gig with the thing you need to buy the carrying case which is another $200. Next, the Firehawk is a solid flat response speaker, but it does not have the cab modelling abilities that the Powercab has. The Powercab was designed to mimic the "amp in a room" feel that a lot of traditional people miss, and so it does that where the 1500 does not. Finally, the Powercab 212 offers a lot of the stereo strengths that the 1500 offers, but weighs A LOT less. 

I love my Firehawk, and use it for a ridiculous number of things (guitar amplification, stereo speaker system, attaching it to PS4 or other movie player, blasting music from a parade float, etc.). It's incredibly versatile and powerful. However, I bought it BEFORE any of the Powercabs ever existed. I later bought an HX Stomp to supplement (and by supplement I mean largely take over with the 1500 stepping in when I need more DSP) the 1500. If I could snap my fingers and do it all over again, my dream rig would be a Helix LT + a Powercab 212. I just think that the speaker modelling, IR loader abilities, significantly lighter weight, and the simulation of the "amp in a room" feeling push the Powercabs ahead of the 1500. 

Still happy with the 1500 though. I'm keeping it for a few years yet .  .  . maybe I'll jump on the bandwagon of the NEXT big multi effects unit and FRFR speaker system. 

On 8/11/2019 at 2:01 AM, firehawkkwah said:

Any benefit to the line 6 power cab (paired with Firehawk FX) over a different company power cab/FRFR?

Integration or connections or switching out anything? 

Or will any good FRFR do the same trick?

Well, that kind of depends on what you want. What if I asked you, "Are all speaker types and brands the same thing?"

Right away you'd be thinking, "Uh, not even close . . ."

Now, are there tons of great FRFR options out there?  Absolutely. Powercab is my favorite, but if people are on a budget I recommend the Headrush 108 for 112.

Seriously though, there are a lot of solid FRFR options out there. The advantage to the Powercab is it comes closer to nailing that "amp in a room" sound that a lot of people miss going with modelers. 

• 1 month later...

Do you find better sounds using the Firehawk FX cabinet and speaker emulations running into the powercab set flat? (Or even Firehawk with cab and speakers, and the PC ALSO running a speaker model?!)

Or do you remove the cabinet and speaker models from the Firehawk preset?

Also, for either recording or live, do you run the output of Firehawk (with cabinet and speaker models) to DAW/FOH? Or do you run Firehawk into power cab (see question 1) and then the output from the PC to the DAW/FOH?

On 9/22/2019 at 7:42 AM, firehawkkwah said:

Do you find better sounds using the Firehawk FX cabinet and speaker emulations running into the powercab set flat? (Or even Firehawk with cab and speakers, and the PC ALSO running a speaker model?!)

Personally, no. I think it sounds best with the Powercab's cabinet emulations, or if you have the Powercab with IR options, that. Still, the Firehawk's amps and cabs are solid and so it's worth experimenting with those. If you do that, set the Powercab to flat. 

I do not think it will ever sound anything but muddy if you layer a Firehawk cab on top of a Powercab cab, but hell, stranger things have worked. 

On 9/22/2019 at 7:42 AM, firehawkkwah said:

Also, for either recording or live, do you run the output of Firehawk (with cabinet and speaker models) to DAW/FOH? Or do you run Firehawk into power cab (see question 1) and then the output from the PC to the DAW/FOH?

Again, it kind of depends which route you chose to go. If you make use of the Powercab's cabinet emulations then it's better to go from the Powercab to the DAW/FOH.

However, if you decide to experiment with the Firehawk's amp/cabs with the Powercab in flat mode, then I'd say it's better to go from the Firehawk to the FOH/DAW.