Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix connecting to studio monitors

jakebake

Hey Guys,

I just purchased a Helix floor unit a few days ago and really liking it so far. A lot to learn. I was mostly using it through headphones, but I also have Yamaha HS8 Monitors and a behringer umc204hd interface.

I'd like to just be able connect the helix to the interface and use the monitors through that, but if this isn't the best option should I just connect the monitors directly to the helix? I have he monitors right now connect via XLR  from the monitors to 1/4 inch to the interface. 

OK - well the Behringer umc204hd is a computer interface - but it does have other connections - one is designed for monitors, and you can run direct to the monitors so you don't get latency.  That's super important.

I assume you also are connected to a computer and use a DAW?  If so, then as a home playing and working arrangement, it might be totally convenient to go through the Behringer.

This is not necessary however - just maybe a good fit for your workflow.

You can connect the Helix direct to the monitors and feed your computer through the USB connection on the Helix.

Then the Helix becomes your interface rather than the Behringer.

It's all about what else you want to connect and whether you do a lot of recording.

Recording through the Helix is great for guitar and OK for a mic - but beyond that you start to run into more the consideration of which is the best interface for what you do.

Definitely, the Helix is a guitar processor first and a computer interface second.  

Technically, when recording guitar the quality should favour the Helix as you are only converting your analogue signal to digital once (going through the Behringer will mean converting back to analogue and then having the Behringer reconvert to digital).

But in the real world - you may not hear the difference - that's a test you have to try.

Any way you go you will still need to be thinking EQ.  Don't expect overdriven guitar sounds to work without high and low cuts etc.

So my answer is that the best option is the one that works for you!

14 hours ago, jakebake said:

Hey Guys,

I just purchased a Helix floor unit a few days ago and really liking it so far. A lot to learn. I was mostly using it through headphones, but I also have Yamaha HS8 Monitors and a behringer umc204hd interface.

I'd like to just be able connect the helix to the interface and use the monitors through that, but if this isn't the best option should I just connect the monitors directly to the helix? I have he monitors right now connect via XLR  from the monitors to 1/4 inch to the interface. 

Hi Jake,

You don't say what computer system you are using, but if its a Mac the you could create an "Aggregate Device" which allows you to have both your Helix and UMC204HD connected to your USB ports at the same time. This would allow you to keep your Yamaha HS8 monitors hooked up to the Behringer box for audio out and Helix could supply the audio in. This "trick" is not available on a Windows machine, but there are work arounds by using ASIO 4 ALL.

Here a link to the Apple Knowledge base article on how to set up multiple audio interfaces:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202000

Here's a demo video on how to do it with a Mac:

Here's the Windows Technique using ASIO4ALL

Hope this helps/makes sense

3 hours ago, datacommando said:

Hi Jake,

You don't say what computer system you are using, but if its a Mac the you could create an "Aggregate Device" which allows you to have both your Helix and UMC204HD connected to your USB ports at the same time. This would allow you to keep your Yamaha HS8 monitors hooked up to the Behringer box for audio out and Helix could supply the audio in. This "trick" is not available on a Windows machine, but there are work arounds by using ASIO 4 ALL.

Here a link to the Apple Knowledge base article on how to set up multiple audio interfaces:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202000

Here's a demo video on how to do it with a Mac:

Here's the Windows Technique using ASIO4ALL

Hope this helps/makes sense

Thank you! I am using a PC so I will check out that video. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, rvroberts said:

OK - well the Behringer umc204hd is a computer interface - but it does have other connections - one is designed for monitors, and you can run direct to the monitors so you don't get latency.  That's super important.

I assume you also are connected to a computer and use a DAW?  If so, then as a home playing and working arrangement, it might be totally convenient to go through the Behringer.

This is not necessary however - just maybe a good fit for your workflow.

You can connect the Helix direct to the monitors and feed your computer through the USB connection on the Helix.

Then the Helix becomes your interface rather than the Behringer.

It's all about what else you want to connect and whether you do a lot of recording.

Recording through the Helix is great for guitar and OK for a mic - but beyond that you start to run into more the consideration of which is the best interface for what you do.

Definitely, the Helix is a guitar processor first and a computer interface second.  

Technically, when recording guitar the quality should favour the Helix as you are only converting your analogue signal to digital once (going through the Behringer will mean converting back to analogue and then having the Behringer reconvert to digital).

But in the real world - you may not hear the difference - that's a test you have to try.

Any way you go you will still need to be thinking EQ.  Don't expect overdriven guitar sounds to work without high and low cuts etc.

So my answer is that the best option is the one that works for you!

I am using a windows PC and use Protools. I honestly am new to this and also haven't recorded in awhile, but wanting to get back into it. There is 2 things I want to accomplish... one is to just have the helix come out of the monitors for practicing and two is recording. It would be nice not to have to switch connecting the monitors to the helix or the interface depending on what I am doing. So how exactly do I connect the helix to the behringer to directly go to the monitors so there isn't latency like you said? I think I would rather keep the behringer as the interface and just have the helix connected to either go through the monitors for practice or to be able to record guitars.

For "Any way you go you will still need to be thinking EQ.  Don't expect overdriven guitar sounds to work without high and low cuts etc." Can I use the high low cut on the helix for this? Still working with it. 

2 hours ago, jakebake said:

I am using a windows PC and use Protools

Hi, again,

That’s interesting because the first time that I ever created an “Aggregate Device” was right after installing ProTools on my Mac. It was part of the Avid install routine that suggested it. Never used the Windows version so I don’t know if that is an option with that one.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I'd have both the Behringer and the Helix connected to the computer via USB.  I'd be switching back and forward inside the software.

That's the recording side of things - assuming you don't want to sing and record guitar at the same time?

So I'd use the Helix for recording guitar and the Behringer would have other inputs connected.  I'd buy a little DJ type mixer for feeding both to monitors - they are cheap!

Not monitoring from your DAW ever.  Use the DAW for playback, again through the mixer and hear you guitar/whatever else direct (while the DAW is recording - no latency)

Then I'd play guitar through the Helix to the mixer to the monitors and I'd be able to mix iit with computer audio or anything being fed to the Behringer.

You can do it with either device on its own, but then you got to be willing to plug and unplug stuff!!

If you are going to be doing this a lot - the little mixer will be worth it.  Otherwise expect to need to fiddle with levels and swap your headphones/monitors a lot!

And don't get hung up on quality - it's probably no big issue unless you are setting up a pro studio - all this stuff is pretty good these days.

Some mixers will even have USB interfaces too - which will make your Behringer obsolete  - but offers more options if you really need them.