Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

[SOLVED] Installed 2.8, Helix Rack bricked. Can't roll back. Boot Mode does fail.

PierM

Well, I may only gig on weekends now but there's no way I could do it without the Helix. I live on an island and getting off and back again, especially in the summertime, just to get the Helix fixed is not an option. The update and the Helix can get borked by a simple USB cable or USB port? Nooo thank you.

It ain't broke and I'm still very happy with it the way it is at 2.7... no update for me.

On 7/18/2019 at 1:00 PM, PierM said:

GOD BLESS YOU!!! 

It worked out! The rack wasn't recognized anymore after the reboot, so after a while the updater was stopping the installation with an error.

This time I kept the helix where it was, as I've seen that after restarting the updater the helix was recognized as hosting a 2.8 firmware (even if failed at 50%).

Kept the rack as it was, in its previous state and started the update again. The updater after a bit installed the remaining 50% and completed the process!

Hey Bud, could you please add the word "Solved" to your opening post? Thanks and I'm glad its working now for you.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, spikey said:

Hey Bud, could you please add the word "Solved" to your opening post? Thanks and I'm glad its working now for you.

At the risk of stating the obvious, the problem really isn't solved. There is an underlying problem with the way the hardware is communicating with a computer system over usb, and may be manifesting in ways other than the update process.

15 hours ago, duncann said:

At the risk of stating the obvious, the problem really isn't solved. There is an underlying problem with the way the hardware is communicating with a computer system over usb, and may be manifesting in ways other than the update process.

He said it completed the process. Isn't that part then solved and wasnt the update then completely installed? Or did I misunderstand that part?

7 hours ago, spikey said:

He said it completed the process. Isn't that part then solved and wasnt the update then completely installed? Or did I misunderstand that part?

That's true, but the op had to take steps (I did as well), to work around an underlying problem that's still there. That's all.

On 7/31/2019 at 9:15 PM, Sentox said:

Definitely not unique to you. I had tried everything in this thread to no avail. As soon as I let the WinUSB drivers install, the updater could see my Helix Rack again.

Without the "WinUSB" drivers, there's a random device that appears to the computer as "Msg Pipe" but doesn't have a driver. With these drivers installed, that same device shows up as "Helix Rack" and the updater can see the unit.

Edit: Interestingly, looking at the drivers that are installed when "WinUSB" is selected, the INF includes entries for basically every piece of Helix hardware. The architectural changes in 2.80 are clear since the Helix Drivers actually installs two packages simultaneously now, 1.92 (which works for any Helix unit pre 2.8) and 1.93 (which obviously applies to 2.80). To Windows a 2.80 Helix is a completely different piece of hardware than any earlier version. It also enumerates an extra device as mentioned above that the WinUSB drivers apply to. Not sure if this is for sending keyboard inputs to the PC, or perhaps a new way for L6 software to talk to the Helix, but it's clearly necessary for the update to complete.

The installer is a tiny bit misleading (imho) in that it can lead you to believe you don't need the WinUSB driver if you have a rack/floor/etc.

Thanks for confirming that I'm not crazy. I would respectfully suggest that the installer is more than a little misleading. It explicitly suggests that there are multiple sets of drivers for different sets of Helix equipment. This has been a common setup for years - Pods vs. guitarport vs. etc. With a description that has three drivers (Helix drivers,  HX Stomp drivers, and WinUsb drivers with a description "Installs HX Effects drivers"),  this is pretty explicitly wrong, not just misleading. These are not HX Effects drivers. they are drivers for all Helix equipment and are necessary for the installation.

I hope Line6 corrects this going forward for other peoples' sake. As of the HX Edit installer for 2.81, it says the same thing.

• Upvote 2

On 8/17/2019 at 1:07 PM, TheHYPO said:

Thanks for confirming that I'm not crazy. I would respectfully suggest that the installer is more than a little misleading. It explicitly suggests that there are multiple sets of drivers for different sets of Helix equipment. This has been a common setup for years - Pods vs. guitarport vs. etc. With a description that has three drivers (Helix drivers,  HX Stomp drivers, and WinUsb drivers with a description "Installs HX Effects drivers"),  this is pretty explicitly wrong, not just misleading. These are not HX Effects drivers. they are drivers for all Helix equipment and are necessary for the installation.

I hope Line6 corrects this going forward for other peoples' sake. As of the HX Edit installer for 2.81, it says the same thing.

If the above proves to be correct it confirms my assumption and suggestion that the best way to proceed when installing HX Edit is to just check all of the boxes instead of picking and choosing.

• 2 months later...

on windows 10 found i needed to install the latest hx edit in order for windows to detect the helix again after the OK prompt on the firmware update now running the update again 

would recommend to others backup with hxedit old version , then update hxedit ( which grabs the new line6 updater ) and then run the updater this should then allow the update to complete ok which mine does now seem to have and is now updating. 

I had waited for ages previously and then turned off the helix and closed the updater and got stuck in boot mode , the fix was downloading the new hxedit which downloads new windows 10 usb drivers 

On 10/19/2019 at 12:04 PM, bobbishop said:

on windows 10 found i needed to install the latest hx edit in order for windows to detect the helix again after the OK prompt on the firmware update now running the update again 

would recommend to others backup with hxedit old version , then update hxedit ( which grabs the new line6 updater ) and then run the updater this should then allow the update to complete ok which mine does now seem to have and is now updating. 

I had waited for ages previously and then turned off the helix and closed the updater and got stuck in boot mode , the fix was downloading the new hxedit which downloads new windows 10 usb drivers 

That's exactly what it says in the update instructions ;)

• 2 months later...

Hello! i tried to do the update2.82.0 as  well it failled since then my laptop doesn"t recognise the helix at all when i connect it, either the HXEdit programm recognise the connection with my line 6 helix LT. i already re download the line 6 updater  and the drivers. on the screen of the helix it says boot  faillure entered update mode. i tried combination of buttons while turned on and off. Nothing works!! the helix seems on power although still doesn t recognised from my laptop suddently.... Any ideas?????
thank you for helping!!

• 11 months later...
Bricked Rack?
I just bought a Helix Rack and it came with version 2.92, after I upgrade to 3.00 I can't connect anymore, I've tried everything, I've read all the posts on this forum and reproduced all the steps and still keep displaying the error -28 always that turns on, if I leave it off for a while the error disappears but in less than 5 minutes the screen freezes and when restarting the error appears again, I've tried to use other versions of the firmware, I've tried everything possible but I can't find a solution.
I'm using Windows 10, and I try to install a fresh one to make sure the os is not the root cause, I tried to use other computer as well, same problem, please help me, I need some help here even if I need to pay for it, the line6 support always attend me quickly, but this time my ticket is freezed like my rack

image.png