Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Edit 2.8 , Firmware 2.8, and Native 1.8 Now Available For Download (In case you missed it)

HonestOpinion

HX Edit 2.8,  the 2.8 firmware,  and Native 1.8 are now available for download. Make backups before you download or change anything.  For folks new to upgrading a Helix family device do yourselves a favor and scroll down below the "Flash Memory" link on the downloads page and instead download "HX Edit"(version 2.80). This file will have all three matching components(Updater, driver, HX Edit) when it is unzipped/unpacked and then installed. This will save you a lot of headaches. Don't download the components separately for anything other than archive purposes or if you need to do an offline install. Also a friendly reminder that the new Native 1.8 version is available as well, you will need to download Native separately. Follow the update instructions to the letter. You can't have enough backups.

Might want to email a backup to yourself on the remote chance that your computer's hard drive gakks mid-update or you lose track of your backups or replace your computer in the future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, rucmas said:

Also it seems like reports are saying this update takes some time to compelete... so people be ready to chill. 

Out of my feedback allotment for the day but +1 to this. And by "some time" he means be prepared for it to go blank on you for a while. When Line6 says they are updating the core they don't mess about. The nano-mites need time to reconfigure your Helix for the new quantum computing requirements. :-)

22 minutes ago, kringle said:

forgive my ignorance, new to Helix and the forums - but the support site downloads and the sticky thread still shows the old versions - where do I get the new 2.8 downloads?

I did read this

Make sure to disconnect your helix first, for some reason clicking on the download 2.8 button while helix was connected sent me to 2.71.

14 minutes ago, brue58ski said:

I did read this

Make sure to disconnect your helix first, for some reason clicking on the download 2.8 button while helix was connected sent me to 2.71.

Yep, the instructions recommend closing all software "or" disconnecting your device(s) after doing the backups and before running the new version of the Updater. This probably should have said "and" instead of "or" but probably a good idea to disconnect all devices first anyway just to be thorough.

Tip: For anyone executing Step 4 from the install instructions to load up the new Factory and Template setlists make sure to do a fresh set of backups with your newly upgraded 2.80 firmware and HX Edit 2.80. I did a "Create Backup" as well as backing up all my setlists separately. This backup is specified in the first line of the instructions for Step 4 but could confuse people as it refers to step 1a (you already probably did that). Just want to make sure everyone does a second batch of backups here to be thorough.

15 minutes ago, HonestOpinion said:

Can only speak for myself (Windows 10, Helix Floor) but my update just completed seamlessly with absolutely zero deviation from the instructions provided by Line6. Bravo Line6, awesome!

+1

If you have not done an update before it doesn't hurt to go to File --> About in the HX Edit menu when you are done and check to make sure that the firmware and HX Edit version are matched. The firmware version is in the top bar and the HX Edit version is down below. In this case they should both indicate 2.80.

FirmwareEditorMatchCheck.thumb.jpg.1626b79c92b13ebaa56043fadf848c14.jpg

1 hour ago, PFLF said:

I followed the instructions and installed the new version in Helix floor but now HX Edit (2.80) does not open, with Helix floor on or off. Any tips?

If after rebooting your PC, HX Edit still does not open at all I would uninstall the Line6 apps and then reinstall the "HX Edit" 2.80 file. Make sure you scroll down past the "Flash Memory" file on the L6 downloads page (just want to make sure you are grabbing the correct file).

3 hours ago, PFLF said:

I followed the instructions and installed the new version in Helix floor but now HX Edit (2.80) does not open, with Helix floor on or off. Any tips?

Hi,

Although you don’t say what computer and OS you are using (it’s helpful to know this sort of stuff), I would recommend that you check that your copy of HX Edit actually is v2.80. It’s not unusual for someone to still have a link to the older version causing the problem.

if that’s not the problem, follow the advice in the above post from “HonestOpinion”, remove all Line 6 software and re-install.

Thank you for your suggestion, but it didn't work. I uninstaled all Line 6 software I had in my computer, installed again HX Edit, version 2.80, with no issues, reboot computer. I double clic the HX icon but the software doesn't open.  I did this 5 times. I'm using Windows 10.

On 7/21/2019 at 5:53 PM, KennyMac said:

I cannot open the update file(s) from macOS Catalina. Does anyone know of a workaround?

Screen Shot 2019-07-21 at 12.53.04 PM.png

Hi Kenny,

I’m not running “Catalina”, still on “High Sierra”, but what you have there looks to be an over zealous “Gatekeeper”, which is security built into the main OS. If you check in your System Prefs Panel there is an icon for "Security & Privacy", inside you will find General, FileVault, Firewall etc. Click on General and you should find the option to allow installation from an unknown source (Anywhere). It’s there to try and block any malicious software that could damage your Mac.

You could try “right click” on the file to bring up a dialogue asking if you want to open anyway. Agree and you will have to enter your Admin password to allow the install to proceed. Failing that there is a software app called Pacify, that will allow you to open disk images etc. then you install from inside the package.

find it here:

https://www.charlessoft.com/

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION 

This is due to an update in the way that gatekeeper works on Catalina. It’s looking for “notorisation” of the app. It’s effectively a certificate of good standing that is obtained by the dev uploading their app to Apple to check for malicious code which is then stapled to the app. It’s one step further than having a app signed with a developer cert.

Edited by datacommando
Additional info
  • Upvote 1