Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Organizing third-party patches

jcmathews

Hi, first time poster here. Question -- if you purchase thrid-party patches (Glenn Delaune, etc.), can you import individual patches from the set into a setlist and organize them into four-patch grouping for access in STOMP/PRESET mode? 

Her'es the background...I very recently (Sunday) switched from a failing POD HD500X to a Helix LT. I spent a LONG day building enough patches to get through a Tuesday show, but I don't love them and I haven't really learned everything I need to know to do it well. Frankly, I only read enough of the manual to figure out how to save them. I still don't grok the concept of IRs or snapshots. I don't doubt my ability to learn, but I work and I'm in a working band, so my free time for this kind of deep dive just isn't there. 

I'm thinking of picking up a collection of third-party patches to ease the transition. Here's the basis of my question (and I recognize it may be a dumb question). I'm more comfortable organizing my patches using the STOMP/PRESET mode, with four patches available at any given time; that's how my HD500X was organized. Generally speaking, I don''t use more than four patches per song, so my setlist is really a collection of four-patch groupings (for example, 1A, 1B, 1C,1D), and I move from set to set as needed. I don't add or subtract effects to patches during a song -- I just change to a different patch. I realize I'm leaving a lot of capability on the table that way, but it is what it is. 

So...since many of the third-party patches use IRs and snapshops and God knows what else, will I be able to take a group of settings, including the necessary IR, in a patch that I like, save them to a patch in my setlist that will display in one of my groups of 4? 

Thanks in advance!

Sure, you can copy an amp or effect with it's settings from one preset to another. But it isn't likely going to sound the same in your preset as in the preset it came from.

A preset is more than it's individual parts. It's the sum of ALL it's parts.

You can also copy non-proprietary IRs. But many of those IRs have been tuned for the presets in the pack, and won't sound the same in YOUR preset.

You can waste an awful lot of time trying to do what you're asking, and end up with crap.

OR, you can take that same amount of time and learn how to use the tool you paid so much money for.

When I got my Helix (moving from an HD500X), I bought packs from both GD and Freman. A few of the presets sounded good. Overall, I wish I'd taken the time I spent auditioning and modding all those presets and used it to learn how to do it myself.

Spend some time on YouTube watching the Jason Sadites videos on creating Helix presets and using snapshots. It's time well spent.

Thanks for the reply. So you're saying that if I purchase group of patches from GD and load them into a setlist, I won't be able to find one I like and simply copy it over to my user setlist and have it work as intended? Why not? Will the IRs not move over with it? Not arguing (I don't know enough to argue) just trying to understand the limitation. 

Agree that learning is better. Not sure it's likely between now and the next show. 

You can copy the whole preset, as long as the IR is in the specified position it'll still work. What I'm saying is that:

A) I didn't find all that many presets that I liked (and between the Freman big pack and GD, that's a LOT of presets)

B) You can copy the whole preset, but copying bits and pieces won't work well

C) I spent so much time auditioning them and trying to make them sound the way I wanted, I could've learned how to make my own

That time spent messing around with the paid presets wasn't totally wasted, I learned a lot, BUT......

When I got my Helix (9/16) there weren't many quality teaching vids available. Now there are LOTS!

As always, IMHO, YMMV.

It sounds like THEORETICALLY my plan will work, provided I 1) find patches I like and 2) learn a bit more about IRs, since I'm obviously not quite grokking those yet. I'll dig in and learn a bit more before moving on a patch set. Helpful...thanks!