Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Edit 2.80 crashes to desktop

jmcecil

Windows 10. 

My update went fine and the Helix Floor seems to be working fine.  But if I try to launch HX Edit, HX Edit just crashes out as soon as it changes from No device found to Helix Floor .. then poof.

I tried deleting the existing driver and re-installing.  But the same thing happens.

22 minutes ago, jmcecil said:

Windows 10. 

My update went fine and the Helix Floor seems to be working fine.  But if I try to launch HX Edit, HX Edit just crashes out as soon as it changes from No device found to Helix Floor .. then poof.

I tried deleting the existing driver and re-installing.  But the same thing happens.

Have you exited the Updater? Try changing USB ports if possible. Did you download the  "HX Edit version 2.8" file. Might be worth downloading and reinstalling this. This will reinstall the drivers as well. 

5 minutes ago, jmcecil said:

Running as admin didn't help.  I've redownloaded 3 times.

Forgive me for this suggestion, you probably already tried it, but it might also be worth rebooting your PC as well as restarting the Helix. On rare occasions some people have had success using a different USB cable. Also, what file have you re-downloaded and installed? Have you done an uninstall prior to reinstalling? That can sometimes help as well. Unattaching any peripherals that might cause driver conflicts and making sure you don't have any other software running (especially the Updater) can help with troubleshooting too.

I have no problem with suggestions.  But still no go

- different ports, different cable (although it's been running for a couple years now just fine and 2.71 worked fine)

- I downloaded HX Edit 2.80 installer 3 separate times

- I did an uninstall and deleted the actually driver from Device Manager the 2nd two times

- The update to 2.8 using the updater worked fine

- Updater is not running

- I'm not disconnecting my peripherals ... if that's what's breaking things then Line 6 needs to fix  their driver.  My peripherals include quite a number of keyboards, sequencers, drum machines, FX etc...   But again, it's never been a problem before.

- Just another complaint .. having the damn driver take over the default audio interface every time I plug in the Helix is a Pain in the lollipop.  My audio interfaces all had their names changed by the installation.  I had to re-install my Lynx Aurora interface drivers to get it back after the Helix install.  Again, I've installed Helix updates for ages without issues like this.

3 minutes ago, jmcecil said:

I have no problem with suggestions.  But still no go

- different ports, different cable (although it's been running for a couple years now just fine and 2.71 worked fine)

- I downloaded HX Edit 2.80 installer 3 separate times

- I did an uninstall and deleted the actually driver from Device Manager the 2nd two times

- The update to 2.8 using the updater worked fine

- Updater is not running

- I'm not disconnecting my peripherals ... if that's what's breaking things then Line 6 needs to fix  their driver.  My peripherals include quite a number of keyboards, sequencers, drum machines, FX etc...   But again, it's never been a problem before.

- Just another complaint .. having the damn driver take over the default audio interface every time I plug in the Helix is a Pain in the lollipop.  My audio interfaces all had their names changed by the installation.  I had to re-install my Lynx Aurora interface drivers to get it back after the Helix install.  Again, I've installed Helix updates for ages without issues like this.

I can understand your not wanting to disconnect peripherals given your setup but adding them back in one at at time may help you and ultimately Line6 track down the problem and maybe work towards a fix. There is also the outside chance that doing so will automagically get everything working again. Your call though.

I tried the HX edit 2.8 on my windows 10 and it didn't work but when I tried it on my MAC it worked just fine..... So I am pretty sure its just on the windows side of things that are making it difficult.... Sorry I don't have better solution than trying it on a MAC.

I'm having same issue.  I've reinstalled HX Edit, tried different USB ports.  The Helix is recognized by my Win10 computer, it acts as a sound card as it should.  I can hear computer sounds through the Helix on headphones.  But HX Edit just crashes when I try to run, whether my Helix is connected or not.  When it runs, instead of a black (blank) background in the main screen, it has a snapshot of my desktop, whatever windows happen to be open.  Menus show, I can select menus, but if I go to preferences or anything significant, it crashes.  If I just leave it, eventually it crashes.  If I turn on my Helix, it crashes.

• 2 months later...

This has to be a problem with your computer.  I've downloaded and installed 2.81 and 2.82 on both my desktop system and my laptop both running Windows 10 and it works fine.  What will NOT work is running a Helix with 2.8, 2.81 or 2.82 firmware and an older HXEdit and device drivers since the device drivers changed on 2.8.  The best way to check this is when the Helix is connected to your PC call up the windows device manager on your PC and check the status of the Helix device driver under the Sound, video, and game controllers.  If it's not the right version it will show as disabled with a notice it can't be run.

• 1 month later...
On 9/27/2019 at 11:47 PM, DunedinDragon said:

This has to be a problem with your computer.  I've downloaded and installed 2.81 and 2.82 on both my desktop system and my laptop both running Windows 10 and it works fine.  What will NOT work is running a Helix with 2.8, 2.81 or 2.82 firmware and an older HXEdit and device drivers since the device drivers changed on 2.8.  The best way to check this is when the Helix is connected to your PC call up the windows device manager on your PC and check the status of the Helix device driver under the Sound, video, and game controllers.  If it's not the right version it will show as disabled with a notice it can't be run.

I have no issues with connecting my Helix.  I can pick as the sound source, I can record in Ableton from USB, I can listen to music generated by my PC through my Helix using headphones.  Not a driver issue.  HX Edit doesn't run even if nothing is connected.  I've since done a fresh install of Win10, tried different graphic drivers and configurations, even plain Intel Graphics on my mobo.  All of this was done before any other software or hardware was installed - whatever the quirk is, it's unusual.  I'm not saying it isn't something to do with my specific mobo or R9 graphics card, but neither of these is unique - they are common components, they aren't tweaked in any way.

Added to this, I acquired Helix Native thinking that would be a solution - has the same issue.

5 hours ago, spenserj87 said:

I have no issues with connecting my Helix.  I can pick as the sound source, I can record in Ableton from USB, I can listen to music generated by my PC through my Helix using headphones.  Not a driver issue.  HX Edit doesn't run even if nothing is connected.  I've since done a fresh install of Win10, tried different graphic drivers and configurations, even plain Intel Graphics on my mobo.  All of this was done before any other software or hardware was installed - whatever the quirk is, it's unusual.  I'm not saying it isn't something to do with my specific mobo or R9 graphics card, but neither of these is unique - they are common components, they aren't tweaked in any way.

Added to this, I acquired Helix Native thinking that would be a solution - has the same issue.

Have you tried looking at the Windows Event Viewer to see if anything is being reported when HX Edit crashes? If there is an entry it might help you track down or google the issue. Also if you haven't tried it yet, although unlikely the problem, disable your anti-virus program for a second and see if HX Edit still crashes.

11 hours ago, spenserj87 said:

But did you check the status of the Helix device in the device manager to see if it's disabled as I recommended?