Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix LT failed while updating 2.8

bornasghosts303

My LT stopped updating the updater shutdown while updating now it wont see my Helix to resume the update process. the helix screen is on boot failure. entered update mode. tied every USB port, power cycled the PC. nothing... im pretty nervious i bricked it. i saw another thread that someone had the same issue with a rack and got it working. i just cant get this on mine.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, enjalt said:

Just read the instructions..... the message "boot failure. entered update mode" is totaly normal......

But it is not normal, when you still have the message after hours and the update stucks at 50%

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Peter said:

But it is not normal, when you still have the message after hours and the update stucks at 50%

Did you at least read or follow the procedure mentionned at the download page?

They're pretty clear about what (or not) to do

2 hours ago, enjalt said:

Just read the instructions..... the message "boot failure. entered update mode" is totaly normal......

10 minutes ago, enjalt said:

The fact you didn't have the problem, doesn't mean people it's stupid. There is plenty of people (I'm one of those) that didn't get the Helix recognized again after the message, and this ends in a updater stuck at 50%. Try to be helpful, if you can't just don't post. I mean, downvoting a guy asking for help? Really?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, enjalt said:

Yes I read and follow the procedure mentionned at the download page.

But some other users(me too) also had issues with the update. It stucks at 50% for hours and nothing has happened or a message was displayed that the update failed.

Most users helped a reboot and the update was completed in minutes. For me I had to reinstall the drivers again.

• Upvote 1

Seems to be happening to quite a few people from what I'm seeing on the forums. I've never had any issues in the past but this update has mine pretty much locked up. Mine only made it to about 12% before I got an error to restart the helix to proceed. Tried that about 5 times, same result. Figured I would just restore it back to previous version but now it doesn't even recognize the unit. Tried factory reset by holding down buttons 7 & 8 on start up and its still stuck in boot failure. Opened up a ticket so I'll wait to hear back for direction. Oh well, still have my faithful amp and pedalboard so I ain't going to lose sleep over it.

1 hour ago, GuidedWay said:

Seems to be happening to quite a few people from what I'm seeing on the forums. I've never had any issues in the past but this update has mine pretty much locked up. Mine only made it to about 12% before I got an error to restart the helix to proceed. Tried that about 5 times, same result. Figured I would just restore it back to previous version but now it doesn't even recognize the unit. Tried factory reset by holding down buttons 7 & 8 on start up and its still stuck in boot failure. Opened up a ticket so I'll wait to hear back for direction. Oh well, still have my faithful amp and pedalboard so I ain't going to lose sleep over it.

Have you tried to reinstall the drivers/HelixEdit2.8?

(Look in the Windows Device Manager, if there is a problem)

32 minutes ago, dsidab81 said:

Clicking ok/continue on the pc app at this point launches the 2nd sequence of the update 

I've notice no one has mentioned this so I think you may be right that that may be the issue. Just to reiterate, once it gets to the boot failure page on the Helix you do have to press OK on your computer to get it to continue. It doesn't continue it automatically. At least it didn't for me.

1 hour ago, brue58ski said:

I've notice no one has mentioned this so I think you may be right that that may be the issue. Just to reiterate, once it gets to the boot failure page on the Helix you do have to press OK on your computer to get it to continue. It doesn't continue it automatically. At least it didn't for me.

I actually mentioned this several times yesterday on several threads but it is easy for it to get lost in the abundance of information and topics. Seems like we still need to find a better way to consolidate update notes in the future but I can't think of a great way to do that given that there was a sticky thread at the top asking people not to open new update instruction threads and it still quite predictably happened(including the topic I started to announce the new release was out).

The firmware release instructions should probably be updated now to specifically include this as part of step #3. It will still be helpful to the many people who have not upgraded yet.  I understand why people were hesitant to hit the "OK" button without explicit instructions to do so either on the screen or in the release notes. For many of us who have been through many updates it seemed intuitive which may be why it was left out but I think it would be better to state it. Ideally it would just happen automatically when the software freezes as part of the normal process required to get to the new "Core" firmware. Just guessing but this step may not be required for the next update as long as you are updating from 2.8(Core).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HonestOpinion said:

I actually mentioned this several times yesterday on several threads but it is easy for it to get lost in the abundance of information and topics. Seems like we still need to find a better way to consolidate update notes in the future but I can't think of a great way to do that given that there was a sticky thread at the top asking people not to open new update instruction threads and it still quite predictably happened(including the topic I started to announce the new release was out).

The firmware release instructions should probably be updated now to specifically include this as part of step #3. It will still be helpful to the many people who have not upgraded yet.  I understand why people were hesitant to hit the "OK" button without explicit instructions to do so either on the screen or in the release notes. For many of us who have been through many updates it seemed intuitive which may be why it was left out but I think it would be better to state it. Ideally it would just happen automatically when the software freezes as part of the normal process required to get to the new "Core" firmware. Just guessing but this step may not be required for the next update.

It explains it right in these release notes, which I linked to in my update instruction thread...

1 hour ago, phil_m said:

It explains it right in these release notes, which I linked to in my update instruction thread...

Thanks for the clarification/correction. Sho'nuff it's in there. I think a lot of people were working off the notes from the Downloads page rather than this post. I am not sure everyone got this message “Boot Failure. Entered Update Mode!” or the screenshot in the article above. Perhaps that caused some confusion but I could be wrong, don't remember what I was looking at when I pressed "OK" but the entire update executed quickly and without mishap after pressing it. The instructions appear to be clear on this point but a lot of users missed this so I am glad there is some attention being turned towards it for those yet to update. A lot of people probably wing updates without reading the notes. Perhaps the issue is no more than people getting so accustomed to standard software installation with other products that when they hit a step where things are frozen they need a specific command onscreen to take action. Even if the proper instructions have been provided in the release notes. The installation for the Helix is almost more like an enterprise level piece of software like a SQL Server in some respects than consumer level software. Makes sense given how complex the product is and how many major changes went into this revision. I remain a big fan of how much care went into the instructions and process for this upgrade and my upgrade was seamless and quick.

Instructions from the "HX Edit" release notes on the Downloads page:

6. Think “Hmm, maybe I should’ve backed up first? Nah, I insist on subverting the dominant paradigm,” and click “OK.” Helix begins updating. As wholly expected, because we warned you… because you always read the instructions… halfway through the update process, Line 6 Updater displays a second dialog and Helix’s LCD reads “Boot Failure. Entered Update Mode!” THIS IS NORMAL. Breathe deep, everything is fine. You’re almost there.

7.Click “OK” again. When finished, Helix restarts automatically and begins rebuilding your presets. Let it finish.

The firmware release instructions were clear and I think the most people read the note: “Boot Failure. Entered Update Mode!” THIS IS NORMAL. Breathe deep, everything is fine" and klick OK.

The problem was, that there were many where the update froze forever at this point(me too).

But now it works for most people and we have a great update!

I will just echo my experience that I followed the upgrade steps (for my Helix floor) and when the "Boot Failure. Entered Update Mode!" showed I clicked on the OK that appeared but the upgrade process would not continue. I waited for at least 30 minutes. After trying all the USB ports and looking on the forums for help, the Solution for me was to re-install Helix Edit 2.8.  I don't know why but after doing that then the updater was able to complete the update.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, reginaldStjohn said:

I will just echo my experience that I followed the upgrade steps (for my Helix floor) and when the "Boot Failure. Entered Update Mode!" showed I clicked on the OK that appeared but the upgrade process would not continue. I waited for at least 30 minutes. After trying all the USB ports and looking on the forums for help, the Solution for me was to re-install Helix Edit 2.8.  I don't know why but after doing that then the updater was able to complete the update.

Same for me. I guess that not all drivers were updated correctly during the first Helix Edit 2.8 installation (don't know why). And then the new "Core" firmware could not connect to complete the update.

3 hours ago, kdskyy said:

SAME Problem With P

PLS HELP ME

Have you tried to uninstall and reinstall Helix2.8Edit an all included drivers?

(Shut down the Helix and the updater befor)

...pressing footswitch 6+12 while switching the Helix on?

...try annother USB-port, don't use a hub (...I think you know that, just to be sure)

If nothing helps, the best way is to try the installation with annother computer.

Helix LT on 64 bit Windows 10.

So...

I uninstalled all drivers, HX Edit, Updater, and reinstalled.

Rebooted the computer.

When i launch the Updater, it does not show any devices to select.

Went to a different computer and did the same things above. Still no device to select.

I tried various combinations of boot up keystrokes to reset things.  Normally it comes up in Boot Failure - Entering Update Mode.  Buttons 6 and 12 give me just "Entered Update Mode".

But still no device enumeration on the Updater.

27 minutes ago, sbernardi said:

Helix LT on 64 bit Windows 10.

So...

I uninstalled all drivers, HX Edit, Updater, and reinstalled.

Rebooted the computer.

When i launch the Updater, it does not show any devices to select.

Went to a different computer and did the same things above. Still no device to select.

I tried various combinations of boot up keystrokes to reset things.  Normally it comes up in Boot Failure - Entering Update Mode.  Buttons 6 and 12 give me just "Entered Update Mode".

But still no device enumeration on the Updater.

Probably not the issue but have you tried a different USB cable?

On July 18, 2019 at 11:24 PM, bornasghosts303 said:

My LT stopped updating the updater shutdown while updating now it wont see my Helix to resume the update process. the helix screen is on boot failure. entered update mode. tied every USB port, power cycled the PC. nothing... im pretty nervious i bricked it. i saw another thread that someone had the same issue with a rack and got it working. i just cant get this on mine.

Samething happened to me now I can't do nothing with it I can't even reload my backup files

2 hours ago, FukinA15 said:

Samething happened to me now I can't do nothing with it I can't even reload my backup files

I’m in the same boat. I tried reinstalling the updated and it didn’t work. It doesn’t recognize the device. What a pain. Luckily I still have my amp, but still. I’m always annoyed with any guitar gear that requires a computer to use. Sometimes I just feel like going back to amps and analog pedals. 

Hey update, I hooked it backup to a USB hub like I had it before, they say not to so I hooked it direct to PC well that didn't work so I tryed it with my Helix rack plugged into my USB hub and WTF!! It worked!!!  Hallelujah !!! Only took 6 hrs to figure out!!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Peter said:

Have you tried to uninstall and reinstall Helix2.8Edit an all included drivers?

(Shut down the Helix and the updater befor)

...pressing footswitch 6+12 while switching the Helix on?

...try annother USB-port, don't use a hub (...I think you know that, just to be sure)

If nothing helps, the best way is to try the installation with annother computer.

I was having trouble loading firmware too but I hooked it back to my USB hub and it worked!!

On 7/19/2019 at 6:45 AM, Peter said:

Have you tried to reinstall the drivers/HelixEdit2.8?

(Look in the Windows Device Manager, if there is a problem)

Yes. Uninstalled all drivers, reinstalled new updater/drivers same result. Response from support ticket was a copy/paste from original instructions and a link to another thread. I'm still at a loss so I'll wait to see what suggestions line6 has.

20190720_153611.jpg

3 hours ago, GuidedWay said:

Yes. Uninstalled all drivers, reinstalled new updater/drivers same result. Response from support ticket was a copy/paste from original instructions and a link to another thread. I'm still at a loss so I'll wait to see what suggestions line6 has.

20190720_153611.jpg

Might not be your issue  as it sounds like this is what you did but you said your reinstalled the "updater/drivers", did you reinstall the file named "HX Edit" 2.8 version?  If not try uninstalling all Line6 apps and downloading and reinstalling the "HX Edit" 2.8 version file.  You will have to scroll past the "Flash Memory" file on the downloads page to get to it.  When you run the HX Edit installer check all the boxes and just let it install all the software and drivers to your computer. Restart the upgrade and try every USB port. If that doesn't work try  another computer and USB cable if available.

I don't know if it helps and only if you have tried all other steps befor:

First I would uninstall all line6 software/drivers. Restart your computer.

Then look for non present devices in the Windows Device Manager

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/show-non-present-devices-windows

...or you can use a tool - "USBdeview" for example to check your USB drivers

Windows saves all ever connected USB devices, this sometimes can cause problems with new devices.

Maybe there are still old Helix or USB drivers there, that block something.

If you find something, remove it(...at your own risk). But be careful here, don't remove still needed drivers / only remove line6Helix or unneeded(be sure!) USB-device drivers!

Then restart your computer. Install HXEdit2.8( check all the boxes and just let it install all the software and drivers) , turn on the Helix and pray you can start the update.