Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Epic New Amp Arguing Thread, Party Like It's 2010

mlody2911

Hi 
Last time we got SLO 100, Marshalla Lead and Line6 amps. Now we all want new amps in the next frimware I guess. So as previously make a list. Maybe Line6 crew will read it.

I'll start...

1. Roland Jazz Chorus

2. Orange AD30

3. Diezel VH4

4. Mesa/ Boogie Mark IV

5. .......

• 2 weeks later...

..., are you saying I can build FX and amp sims

from the ground up with that SDK and have it transferred to my HD Pro ?....

You can't transfer the SDK sims to any POD, HD or otherwise. As I understand it, it is a standalone SDK that requires the Line 6 ToneCore pedals as the delivery platform.

• Upvote 1

Oh.

I assumed you meant firmware aswell. that's an entirely different story.

Be nice if that Tonecore stuff worked on these things like I asked in previous post. 

Then again, ive never heard of any manufacturer that empowers people

to that extent concerning fully featured MFX units.

Yeah, just one of these threads happens every once in a while anyway.  THere's also a thread on ideascale that covers the same territory.

As for the SDK, all it takes is a few hobbyists who want to play around with it.  I don't know anything about DSP programming or amp modeling, but I might try it if there were a way to throw something down on the POD.  (Then again, I could always just write a VST amp, but I haven't tried to learn the DSP necessary for that either...I guess I've hit the point of I already code all day, I'd rather just play guitar at night :p)

Seems to me that Line 6 could make a lot more money off of the HDXXX series if they kept adding amp models for us to buy.

Send it out to the stores loaded with 16 amps than allow us to buy additional amp models by down load.

There are so many amps out there that could be modelled.

I'd like to see the Marshall Silver Anniversary series, Peavey 5150, Mesa Mark II, Fender 5E3, Fender 63 Bassman, Roland Jazz chorus, etc, etc.

Some that they already modelled like the Marshall 800 & Vox AC15 should be done over again - the amps they used were dogs.

Oh well I'm done talking to the wall again... :rolleyes:

Ive basically worked out with the POD HD that I just bought

a glorified amp sim, and that's about it. They excel at that, but

lagging in FX innovation and then pack it all in a box that can be

maxed out DSP wise before you even get to use all 8 simultaneously.

Other manufacturers haven't set the limits like Line6 have with

their final products are fast becoming the Apple-like company

for guitarists me thinks. But hey, I knew what I bought.

From what I have learned the POD HD500 is a remarkable tool that allows us to configure basically any type of amp model we want until it sounds the way we want it to.  As far as the names of the models, I think we have to understand that it is just coding designed to replicate the gear in question and as good as the algorithms are, they aren't perfect.  I really can't see what possible benefit another amp model could bring me.  I would be happier with user IR's or more cab and mic options.  From the sounds of this thread, a lot of users here would be much happier with a Kemper that actually physically profiles an individual amp model and captures its complete sonic signature.  Thousands of profiles are available for download.   Then again, its around $2000 instead of $500... 

Personally, I am still waiting for the new upgradeable finger models to be released... faster and with a wider stretch...  lol...

• Upvote 1

There's nothing your HD500 can do that my HD Pro can't and tbh, I wouldn't go as

far as to say its "remarkable" for the reasons you stated cause other manufacturers

are doing pretty much the same things in their own way. Same crap different bucket.

While I agree that the perfecting of algorithms is a priority, I don't think the rest of

its architecture should have to suffer for it and if I hear another person utter

the words "Amp Sim"  Im gonna implode lol. People seem to pay too much

attention to it. Sure, perfect your algorithms and modelling, but don't get

consumed by it to a point you neglect OTHER important areas of the design.

The release of the X iteration is a perfect example of how they got it this wrong.

Line6 could've saved face by starting an entirely new flatform instead.

And why have we become complacent for a standard that throws

"DSP LIMIT REACHED" in our faces dialing up tones ?

I never understood this. And I don't mean with just Line6, Almost all

MFX pedals seem to have "under-spec" DSP chips put into them.

Not so long ago they had all the model packs to expand the POD.

Where are they now ? Those are the kind of things that make it worthwhile.

And no. I don't hate Line6. Its just a name to me and I wont get caught up

in picking favourite "brands". I judge a design by its technical merits.

I will credit Kemper for their efforts, they actually brought forth a "new"

innovation with their profiling, but id be happier with an AxeFX II.

Its a pity they set their price at lofty heights.

• Upvote 1

There's nothing your HD500 can do that my HD Pro can't and tbh, I wouldn't go as

far as to say its "remarkable" for the reasons you stated cause other manufacturers

are doing pretty much the same things in their own way. Same crap different bucket.

While I agree that the perfecting of algorithms is a priority, I don't think the rest of

its architecture should have to suffer for it and if I hear another person utter

the words "Amp Sim"  Im gonna implode lol. People seem to pay too much

attention to it. Sure, perfect your algorithms and modelling, but don't get

consumed by it to a point you neglect OTHER important areas of the design.

The release of the X iteration is a perfect example of how they got it this wrong.

Line6 could've saved face by starting an entirely new flatform instead.

And why have we become complacent for a standard that throws

"DSP LIMIT REACHED" in our faces dialing up tones ?

I never understood this. And I don't mean with just Line6, Almost all

MFX pedals seem to have "under-spec" DSP chips put into them.

Not so long ago they had all the model packs to expand the POD.

Where are they now ? Those are the kind of things that make it worthwhile.

And no. I don't hate Line6. Its just a name to me and I wont get caught up

in picking favourite "brands". I judge a design by its technical merits.

I will credit Kemper for their efforts, they actually brought forth and a

"new" innovation with their profiling but id be happier with an AxeFX II.

Its a pity they set their price at lofty heights.

Everything in engineering is a trade off, and DSP is no exception.  There is only so much power in a chipset.  So the choice then becomes do we just never do a dual tone configuation (in my experience where DSP limit is reached 99% of the time) or do we allow it, but impose the DSP limit on the most resource intensive implementations of dual tone?  Clearly, Line 6 chose to allow it with limitations imposed.  Price is another engineering tradeoff because the chipset they chose fit the (likely) marketing imposed price ceiling, at the expense of having less power.  There could very well be DSP units around that nobody coould ever overwhelm, but then too they could costs way more $$$.

All of course IMHO.

And how exactly would you go about that lol ?

You going to get an engineering degree to work it out ?

If Line6 allow it, someone with an engineering degree is bound to do it. Then we can upgrade our units from their site the same way we upgrade from the Line6 site.

Why is this thread even here

... because there is 'popular demand' for it. 

s

I like to think of the DSP 'Nanny' this way:

Every device has its DSP limitation - no exceptions. Almost all devices are engineered to prevent the user from ever reaching that limit. The consequence is that, in all cases and for every preset, there is available DSP in the device that is wasted. Think of the Pod HD300/400. The FX1, FX2, and FX3 architecture guarantees two things. First, you will never exceed the DSP limits of the device and, second, every preset you create leaves some (and sometimes a lot of) DSP available, unused.

The dual-path POD HD devices, however, allow the user to decide how to allocate the available DSP, right up to the maximum. An attempt to exceed the limitation causes the DSP Nanny to appear, saying 'Sorry - you can't do that'. I much prefer being able to make those decisions myself, leaving only a minimal amount of unused DSP capacity.

If Line6 allow it, someone with an engineering degree is bound to do it. Then we can upgrade our units from their site the same way we upgrade from the Line6 site.

... because there is 'popular demand' for it. 

s

If there are any gamers around (closet gamer here)....this (sorta) thing happened years ago when the coders got there hands on the particulars of RTCW and created the game ET. Of course it was shareware at that point, and a better game....

Maybe not as akin as I think....but I like the initial concept. Someone smarter than I will create something spectacular I'm sure.

this (sorta) thing happened years ago when the coders got their hands on the particulars of RTCW and created the game ET. Of course it was shareware at that point, and a better game....

Maybe not as akin as I think....but I like the initial concept. Someone smarter than I will create something spectacular I'm sure.

I could very well happen and if the designer charges per download; it's money Line6 could have had.

s