Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

2.8 good thoughts collection thread.

Heavyville

There are already plenty of threads out there dealing with 2.8 issues.  I thought I start a place to talk about what we all like about it. 

I haven't spent alot time with 2.8, as I will admit I dealt with user update errors ( I'm 2 for 2 lol). 

What do you like about it? 

What is your favorite addition? 

for the amps how do you use the settings ? are there any members out there that know how to dial in these amps in real like that could give insight? 

funny posts and thread hijacks are expected. 

GO!!!

For me the default low and high cuts on the stock cabs in the new templates was appreciated and improvement to workflow. 

I'm generally a high gain player  with the EPIC amp being my go to monster, Revv is nice so far, but I was shocked at how nice the grammitco amp series is. 

really looking forward the future updates and progress.  Well done folks at Line 6. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I haven't played with it yet but the control of a Varaix's separate string volumes sounds really cool. You could play a chord on the bottom strings, assign the top strings volumes to the expression pedal and fade those in and out. I like the snapshot icons in HX Edit next to what parameters they control. Nice little touch I thought.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, brue58ski said:

I haven't played with it yet but the control of a Varaix's separate string volumes sounds really cool. You could play a chord on the bottom strings, assign the top strings volumes to the expression pedal and fade those in and out. I like the snapshot icons in HX Edit next to what parameters they control. Nice little touch I thought.

All the effects and amps have cute little icons too. A nod of the head to the skeuomorphics fans. Nice!

I spent a few minutes playing the Grammatico (i couldn't stop), geez that amp sounds great! I'm not really a high gain guy, but I look forward to trying the Revv. I did try the KOT, it sounds really good! That was about all I had time to futz with before  I had to roll back to 2.7.

This was my first firmware update (only got my Helix in April) and it was smooth as silk. Like the new amp models (especially the Revv) very much. Also was happy to see the firmware update happened showing Line 6 hasn't abandoned the Helix (unlike Fractal and the AX8). 

The Grammatico might just be my new favorite amp, really unbelievable sound! King of Tone is also amazing. I love that they did the Murf too, it's so wild! I'm gonna find a use for that. So many nice little tweaks and improvements everywhere, especially in HX Edit.

• Like 1

I plugged in my DT25, loaded up a Twin-based patch, disabled the IR and Cab, and tweaked the output settings to the DT.  While I'm not 100% sure of the function of all the output menu items, it worked great right away and gave me a sound very close to the sound I had from the DI patch.  I'm loving that it's now that easy, and built a few patches for use directly to the DT. 

Added the Moogerfooger model to my go-to setup, and went through all the stock patches, with some really great results.  

Overall, I'm quite pleased and enjoyed tweaking.  Tonight we gig!

• Upvote 1

I told myself I'd wait at least a week to let you bleeding edge types work out the bugs. And then I went ahead and updated.

Everything went smoothly! 

I'm especially impressed with the new distortion blocks. Really, really great.

After reading the post on how to update from Line 6 was pleased I had no problems and was very straight forward. Love the new Grammitco and my fav pedals are KOT both the prince and KOT also the zendrive and have been having fun plugging my cheap zendrive clone pedal (Mooer Rumble) in to compare.

2 hours ago, ECmaj7 said:

Using L6 link to control Powercab Plus with Helix (LT) is absolutely fantastic!

It's works beautifully with 2 Powercabs

It's in the output block.

For those of you who have a Powercab Plus, the Grammatico (default setting) into the Powercab set to LF-RAW is absolutely amazing!

Turn off any cab or IR and let the Powercab do it's thing.... 

Add the KOT or Zen Drive and OMG.

Finally feels like a real amp and can really compete with my Mesa Lonestar Special. 

Q. Why don't they have any badminton courts in the jungle?

A. Because there isn't the demand.  :D

Update took quarter of an hour or so, no issues whatsoever, Rack & controller, Windows 7. 

I really like the new Fullerton, very smooth and rich.  I had some good fun with the Asheville too.  Looking forward to exploring a bit more once I get some time.

Oh, and of course, how could I forget, we now have, wait for it................UNDO & REDO!!   Ahhhhhhhhh.   Better late than never I suppose.  :)

Good job L6, glad I took the plunge.

I haven't updated my LT yet... but I have updated Helix Native and gave things a quick spin. 

1. The new amps sound great.
  2. The POT and KOT will certainly get use in my setup.... as well as the Zen
  3. I am really looking forward to utilizing the snapshot bypass on some effects.

.... but the biggest impact for me is one of the "less fanfare" items in the update.... the TILT EQ.

Exactly as I had expected.... place it after an amp (or cab if you separate them) and it finally gives you something akin to moving the mic position from "center" to "edge" as you lower the setting. I am shocked at how great it sounds in that usage.... far better than I had even hoped. For my preliminary tests all I did was raise the frequency to 3K... then lowered the EQ's parameter to taste, usually about -40 to -80.

• Thanks 1

I had been craving a KoT for a LONG time ... but that price, and that wait ...

Gave up on getting it .... AND I'm so glad I did.

The model version sounds amazing. Desire satiated. 

When I get a new pedal I mess with it a long time, so I haven't even dug into the other new stuff yet, but I'm excited to! Gonna be a great few months ...

1st, thanks to the OP, good on you for adding this thread. Just upgraded mine, install went smooth as could be. Haven’t played with it much except to check a few of my presets to make sure it all worked and it did. I really think they sound better (but not going there now)?!?!

I like the visible tempo on the scribble strip a lot!

UNDO and REDO in Helix Edit - - - Yay!!!! 

On 7/21/2019 at 7:22 PM, surfsup1955 said:

UNDO and REDO in Helix Edit - - - Yay!!!! 

And, when you've finished messing around (er, I mean skilfully crafting the perfect tone ;-)) you can now save it in HX Edit, without overwriting the original!  :D

It's the first time I've hit the save button in HX Edit since the update, I nearly fell off my chair when the "save as" box came up.  :-) 

Part of me is still a little annoyed that we had to wait so long for these absolute basics in HX Edit, but I am delighted now that serendipity has been unchained.  

-

Maybe I just love shiny new toys but my current setup is
* Fullerton + closed back ir + dhyana drive:  My clean to dirty amp.  Dhyana on footswitch, exp on drive.

* Grammatico + open back ir + heir apparent:  My mildly dirty to dirtier amp.  Heir on footswitch, exp on drive.  Replaced lonestar.
* Revv red:  My metal to more metal amp.  Footswitch on aggression 1/3, exp on drive.  Replaced archetype.  

* Svt4:  Bass!  I have it set to neutral bass sound with a footswitch on the bright for a clang.  The ultra low switch is a third voice if I want it.  This is everything I want from a clean bass amp but I'm still picking out a dirt sound for it.  Replaced the B-15NF.

I'm surprised that I'm landing on all 4 new amps.  Like I said maybe shiny new toy syndrome.

All 3 guitar amps are working well with both a strat and a bass vi which is pretty great.

The tilt eq at the end for extra tweaking is also a pretty neat trick.  It could be fun to put it on a footswitch for a second voice.
The tuner used to lose tracking and show D quite a bit on basses and that seems to be working much better.

I did brick on the first update though.  Had to boot with the page> button and then the updater could see my stomp again.

As a lifelong user of compressors set to "just enough", and stacking various dirt pedals in varying orders, the HX Effects was a godsend. Amazing effects dirt box models, tweakable compressors, snapshots, parameter control (even version control: "you mean I can have a V2 OCD and a V4 OCD in the same preset, and toggle between HP and LP?"), routing options, wet/dry control, straight in or FX loop... it was all so wonderful.

2.8 has ruined everything for me.

Why? Because Line 6 had the stones to just casually say "oh, here's these two Analogman pedals and this Hermida pedal you might've heard about, have fun", and now I can't stop playing around with those, I'll probably have to create a bunch of new presets, and - to top it off - since the update I've barely even looked at, let alone used, any compressors or other dirt FX.

In fact, I could probably do a whole gig with just the Tone Sovereign. Add in some Ubiquitous Vibe, Elephant Man delay, maybe a dash of Hall reverb, use my guitar's volume knob and it's a complete rig. What's up with that? How could you commit this injustice against my beloved Deluxe Comp, Kinky Boost, Hedgehog, and Compulsive Drive?

"Thanks" Line 6. ;)

• Haha 1

Just basking in the positive vibes in this thread. Great place to be reminded of all the new stuff to try in the new firmware. I know it has been mentioned already but QWERTY keyboard, , tempo display, expression position display, the KOT/POT pedals, undo/redo and the list goes on. Also never expected to see a Moog pedal on the Helix; so great, hope they do more of them. And just for a note of nostalgia from previous firmware, still very appreciative of the changes they made to the tuner. Made it much better for stage use. The Helix has far exceeded my expectations when I think about what was delivered years ago when it was first released.

Also have to mention how inspired I think it is that Line6 has created a genuine modeling ecosystem. One that includes not only a family of HX devices as well as a plugin(Native) and the ability to share data and settings between them but also the integration of a modeling guitar cab like the PowerCab+ with a modeler(Helix, LT, etc.). The lack of intelligent linkage between cab and modeler was IMHO one of the glaring deficiencies in the modeling world.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I can confirm that all 3 of my Strymon pedals are switching midi wise from the Control Center settings, along with the PowerCab + switching cabs via L6-Link which I setup in HX-Edit. THIS is what I've been waiting for (besides the tuner in the editor). Good job Line-6!!!!!!

Love this thread!  I've been so frustrated with the update initially BUT, man, once it was all done,  the amp/fx additions have been incredible! Major fan.

I agree with Jnnh73:  The new stuff is making me redo my favorite setups by making even BETTER sounds!

• Like 1

OK, after having 2.8 for a while I wanted to circle back with a couple of thoughts around the new additions in 2.8.  Specifically the Grammatico and Rev Gen. 

1- Rev Gen, cool amp FEELS REALLY REALLY good to play.  i've made a couple of patches so far with it.   This amp feels good and I like playing it.   

2- Grammitico -  WOW, this amp just has feel and mojo.  I have never encountered a model where where moving so maning of the available "knobs" does so much to the sound and feel of the amp.   

3- the two new models to me imho, have way more feel to them. The reason I say this is because, i'm using two amps i'd never use normally ( the Rev Gen is awesome, but to me it reminds me of what a 5150 should sound like in a way and I'm not a fan of that amp, but here I am playing it to death because it responds so well.) 

the Grammatico amp responds to my fingers like no other model in the helix and I just love playing that model. 

I truelly don't think this is a case of "new shiny" things.  I was not excited at all leading up to the release of 2.8.  I was completely happy with 2.6 where I was. 

Now,  I started from scratch on all my presets because WHY NOT, it's a platform update, so I thought i'd start from scratch.   US double norm, never liked it, tried to use it a bunch pre 2.8. no luck.   Fire up 2.8, its one of the first presets I auditioned, and was like, W...T....Shattner, how the hell does this sound sooo good now...... I've heard they "touched" up a few things.   I'd like to know more about that honestly if that can be shared.   It cannot be just the low and high cuts.   

So, I'm going to put out the "well played"  LIne 6 on this update.   The new additions are simply amazing and very interested in what you guys are going to include next time.  

you should rename this update the "gateway" release. 

• 5 weeks later...

Need to keep the front page of this forum balanced.   Lots of "issues" and bitching.  which is still entertaining, but........

so after more than a month

Grammitico brt amp, made it into my top 10 amps to use regularly.  

the Rev Gen is still cool, did not crack my top 10 though. 

the over drives are ridiculously awesome.  

i went from 2.6 to 2.8 so i got a bit more as the GUI and features of the tuner where upgraded plus whatever else was in 2.7 

I found after this update i'm less concerned about what i want in the next update in favour of should be an interesting experience when the next one comes out.  I found the addition and audition of an amp i don't know about to be more satisfying then getting an amp i want and it disappointing me due to have a preconceived notion of what it should sound like to me. 

Keep it coming team.

I will echo the sentiments on the Grammatico and POT/KOT additions. Top notch. I haven't had my unit long and was pleased as punch with 2.71 so all of these additions from in 2.81 have been super nice. I don't know how long the wait was between firmware updates but I really don't care. The amps and pedals in this free update alone are worth the price of admission. 

I've had nothing but compliments, and some genuine surprise, at gigs when people find out I'm running a Helix now. And I even build my patches on my IEMs before slight tweaking at rehearsal!  

All in all I couldn't be more pleased with this thing.