Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

With the new QWERTY stuff does this mean...

homegrownbuddy

Does this mean I can control the looper functions from HXedit? because I am one of those guys who has his Helix on one side of the room and his laptop on the other and when I am sitting at my desk building sets it's a pita to have to unhook everything on me and go over and push a button to pause the loop or erase it etc. Can I now just setup some kind of keyboard control? 

No, it's the other way around. You can send QWERTY keystrokes to applications on your computer from the Helix. It's useful for controlling things like Record, Stop, Start, etc. in DAWs and other programs.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Digital_Igloo said:

Or you could use Helix to control the looping functions in any looping software, including Ableton Live. Without ever touching MIDI.

That sounds pretty sweet, but I don't think it would help in my case. I live in a studio apt with only two outlets in the living room. So my guitar, helix ,amps are setup on one side and my computer desk and chair etc. on the other.  As cool as it sounds to do what you described I think what I need is the opposite. Rather than using Helix to control looping software on the computer,  I need to use the computer to control the looper in Helix. I don't own a external looper and I don't record anything through an interface. I just come home from work, sit in my chair, make loops and play over them to feel good.  But as it stands now, I will put down a short loop, get comfy in my chair so I can adjust things in hxedit. And it's great...until the phone rings or I want to try a different sound or there is a knock at the door etc.  Then it's a game of how fast can I leap from the chair, trip over the coffee table, pause the loop, run back to the other side and get the door without killing myself. It quickly becomes no fun lol. If I could just hit spacebar on the laptop or something to pause the loop and then answer the phone, it would be much more fun for me haha. Maybe in a future update something like this will be possible. I still love the Helix and wouldn't know how to live my life without at this point. 

13 hours ago, Digital_Igloo said:

Or you could use Helix to control the looping functions in any looping software, including Ableton Live. Without ever touching MIDI.

Yes!

And in order to use the Ableton Looper we need to be able to access the USB more easily - by using a Send / Return block.

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/SEND-Block-to-more-places-e-g-1-4in-for-easy-IR-bypass/818624-23508

As some people have commented:

Al Swainger (@alswainger) 3 months ago
Shame not to see any progress on this - it's such a great idea and exactly what I've been Googling to try and work out how to do...3 years later apparently!

Mike Lappano (@mwmike) 2 years ago
Yup, this is exactly what I was looking for. I'm using the Helix with Ableton Live on PC with dedicated soundcard so I can route my Helix to Ableton and back to Helix through the stereo FX loop, and then out to guitar amp, while sending other non-guitar tracks from Ableton to the PA. It would be great to be able to use the digital in/outs to interface with the soundcard instead of four 1/4" cables and a bunch of needless A/D-D/A stages.

This all looks interesting.  I did notice the little QWERTY box show up during the 2.8 upgrade (Mac OS) but it appeared to be a warning box of some sort?  I assumed the warning was connected to the expected boot error thingy on the Helix screen so I just kept going.. 

Anyway,  I will await a YouTube video or forum discussion on how to use the QWERTY features in Logic X.  If anyone knows of such a lesson/discussion please provide a link, thx!