Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Stagescape + Apple Usb To Ethernet + Apple Airport Express == Happy!

Some times you just have to bite the bullet...

I had bought one of the original USB / Wifi adapters listed in the StageScape manual, and it worked great.  Only problem is that at one point, the bag the StageScape was in was thrown away because of an adult beverage being spilled on the bag.  Unfortunately, the wifi stick was in the bag :(  I tried the Samsung one for the TVs that was mentioned, which sort of worked, but I kept getting drop outs, and at one point, the StageScape completely locked up (in the middle of a song!!!!)

I decided to go nuclear, and go with the "it's gotta work and be easy" route.  I picked up the Apple USB to Ethernet adapter and the Apple Airport Express on my way to the gig.  Set everything up in 5 minutes, and not ONE hiccup.  Extra bonus was that because the wifi is 802.11n, the lag was GREATLY reduced on the iPad app.

So far, that's been the best wifi setup for the StageScape.

I just wish that Line 6 would add the spectrum analyzer to the EQ on the iPad.  I can see where it'd probably be a problem with some methods of transmission, but with the Apple setup, it should be able to work...

• Upvote 1

Just got the same Apple based setup working too, no problems at all..

Interesting you mention the missing spectrum analyzer view on the iPad edition,

that would be nice. It's a lot of live data to shovel over the network without getting laggy, but it should be possible..

• 8 months later...

YES!!! YES!!!  YES!!!! This is really worth it! I talked with Tech support after trying several adaptors and reading many forum posts. some of the older posts sent me off in several directions but now Its crystal clear: The ONLY way to go is with the apple gear...as mentioned above!! 

After-all we can afford a $1600.00 Mixer right? whats $145.00 in parts so we can connect our $500.00 iPad ... small price to pay for ZERO connection related stresses at the gig. 

Another thought: If you have the cash go out and buy two more ethernet adaptors .... its safe to say they won't be around forever! 

An additional advantage of the Airport Express is that it can be set to receive Airplay music. Just connect a 1/8" cable from the Express to the aux input of the M20d and you have music playback from your iPad or iPhone.

One could even buy a length of dual-Ethernet cable (called "siamese ethernet") to keep the wiring cleaner. Install Ethernet connectors on half of the cable and the 1/8" plugs on the other half.

http://www.hometech.com/hts/products/phone_data/bulk_cable/ht-cat6s.html

Yeah Rick, it's convenient that Everyone (except the drummer) can play music from their phones via airplay feature so it's great for rehearsals where you want to play a tune for the band to show them a musical idea.

Also everyone (except the drummer) gets to mix their own monitors on their own iPad!!

It's CRAZY!!! Only one rehearsal so far but everyone came out smiling !

Hi all,

i have the same Apple setup with USBtoEthernet and Airport Express.and i like it.

There are two points to mention:

- the two wifi bands 2.4 and 5 GHz of the Airport Express are always ON, not possible to switch the 2.4 off and use the 5 only.

I use Line6 wireless XD mics and they operate on the 2.4 GHz and i need to avoid any interference with other wifi devices like the Airport Express.

- Airplay is nice, but i would use it for rehearsal only. On stage with 'wifi active audience smartphones' i would always use a cable from iPad to m20d.

The risk of a dropping wifi connection between iPad and Airport Express is just too high, imho.

- the two wifi bands 2.4 and 5 GHz of the Airport Express are always ON, not possible to switch the 2.4 off and use the 5 only.

This was covered in a previous thread...

Whilst you can't shut down the 2.4GHz network on the airport express, you CAN set it up such that your iPad and iPhones only connect to it using 5Ghz. This will at least reduce some of the potential crosstalk clutter in the 2.4GHz band even if it can't remove the channel altogether.

Keep your Airport Express a significant distance away from your XD receivers and you should be fine.

• 1 year later...

I use an Airport extreme. Fantastic - rock solid, fast, reliable connection.

Do you have the USB to Ethernet adapter fitted?

I so, all you normally need to do is to connect an ethernet cable to one of the Airport's LAN ports (not a WAN port) and then go to 'System' on the M20D and make sure the Wi-Fi is active.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I use an Airport extreme. Fantastic - rock solid, fast, reliable connection.

Do you have the USB to Ethernet adapter fitted?

I so, all you normally need to do is to connect an ethernet cable to one of the Airport's LAN ports (not a WAN port) and then go to 'System' on the M20D and make sure the Wi-Fi is active.

What am I doing wrong? I have reset my extreme Apple. The Extrreme aangsloten on the Stage Cape with an Ethernet cable. (Adapter cable Ethernet to USB is not Aplle). My Ipad sees no Stage Cape. It seems so simple. What am I doing wrong?

What am I doing wrong?..... (Adapter cable Ethernet to USB is not Aplle)...

That may be what's wrong. I was originally trying to use a non-Apple adapter with no success. Bought the Apple adapter and it immediately started to work flawlessly.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe you can help me anyway . I just bought an original USB / Ethernet adapter and connected. My apple extreme I reset. Should I pre Extreme before I on the Stage Cape connecting Awaiting certain settings. The movie of the Line6 suggests not connect . My Ipad sees no internship cape. I also see that no connection is made between cases and Extreme.
Extreme need to ensure communication between the Stage Cape and my IPad . That does not happen . I see all kinds of other routers ( where I normally work at home ), but no placement cape.
Should I do anything before the Extreme ?
Thanks for the answer.
Henk from Netherlands