Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Failed to get preset names, DSP overload! Late Night Update Gone Awry / I should really get more sleep

deltonfoster

*Looking to get the longest subject title award, hoping its a Helix LT, is it a Helix LT?

I decided to try the ole 2.8 update shuffle late last night. In under 10 min, I was up and running, I had probably an hour or so where everything was running smoothly, imported my setlist and all was well. I was really digging the Grammatico so I built a preset around it for my Strat and SG, nice! Holy smokes that amp sounds good! 

Sometime after I kept getting the "Failed to get preset names, DSP overload" error, as I would try to save presets. Now all my presets were gone in HX edit and in the Stomp, they were named (genetic) New Preset 1, etc -  I could no longer back up anything or use HX edit.  I have gigs coming up so I had to rock n' roll it on back to 2.7. Is this just the DSP limitations of the Stomp itself,  perhaps it needs to rest and I pushed too hard, I am quite a mess don't you know. Or perhaps something was going on with the update? I had just discovered the ability to assign gain controls of the amp to a footswitch with the min/max values and was having quite a go at all that, and also had just added the higher quality IR at the time of failure. I'm new to the Helix world so I'm not sure what to expect in terms of DSP power, etc. 

Thanks for any help, 

~delton 

IMG_2784.JPG

IMG_2786.JPG

IMG_2785.JPG

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

So I just experienced the same problem, same error message, and neither restoring from back-up nor re-installing FW (2.82) proved to be a solution. More specifically, restoring from backup did restore the list of preset names, but all the presets were utterly without effects blocks (even the factory ones). It required a factory reset for the unit to become usable again. Naturally, unsaved presets (there were only a few) are  lost, but my bigger concern is: what caused this and how do I avoid it again? I removed all the user IRs, but I doubt this storage affects the DSP. Any thoughts? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I should mention that I bought this new HX Stomp less than a week ago, and had used it twice with no problem, creating a couple of presets and loading a full complement of user IRs.

Karsten

A sad post-script to my post from yesterday: after factory restoration I created a new preset, saved it, tried to export it, and got the dreaded "DSP" overload message again. So I tried to create a backup...same result. The good news? Amazon is replacing the unit; this one is going back via UPS. Hoping to have better luck next time.

• 2 months later...

I´ve experienced this my self with my HX Stomp. All my presets ar gone... And I have a livestreem tomorrow! Back to my real amps... Tried to update HX Edit and the Updater, but no go... Raised a ticket to Line6 on Friday (now its Monday)...

My backups for both the Stomp and HXFX are there but not highlighted so I can't get to them! 

Help anyone?

3 hours ago, Partycompagniet said:

I´ve experienced this my self with my HX Stomp. All my presets ar gone... And I have a livestreem tomorrow! Back to my real amps... Tried to update HX Edit and the Updater, but no go... Raised a ticket to Line6 on Friday (now its Monday)...

My backups for both the Stomp and HXFX are there but not highlighted so I can't get to them! 

Help anyone?

Are you saying you can’t install the latest version of HX Edit? You should be able to do a factory reset and do a Restore from Backup.

• 5 weeks later...

I've have the exact same problem with my HX stomp.

Has happened three times now.

This happens after I shut down the HX stomp and turns it back on.

Seems to me like a glitch in the HX Edit app and/or the HX stomp itself.

The casing of the the HX is warm to the touch after while - more than luke warm.

Almost as warm as my Melitta machine espresso (51 degrees celcius)

Maybe its over heating......?

Factory reset will get the factory presets back BUT ANY UN-SAVED presets are lost.

After a factory reset I'm able to open the HX Edit app and import my saved preset back into the HX stomp.

But if you go to clubs/stages with the stomp as your rig

then it can't be trusted if the the presets disappears when you boot the unit up.

You'll only get the factory presets back not your own.

Cheers: Max

BTW: Firmware of my HX is 2.92

HX-preset1.JPG

SystemInfo.png

High Sierra.png

HX-Edir-Error-Messaage.png

Edited by meramhall
info

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This exact problem has happened to me twice in the last two days. I'm pretty aggravated right now. @phil_m, any ideas?

Here is what I did, step by step. 

Last night I downloaded the new version of Installer, then loaded the 2.92 update (for Windows 10). It went more quickly than I expected and everything seemed to be working fine. I normally edit with the pedal itself, but hooked it up to HX Edit. At first I noticed that it didn't seem to recognize my IRs. They were there, but in HX Edit, they just looked like blank spaces. Weird.

Then I got the dreaded "Failed to get preset names" error on HX Edit and all my patches were set to this patch (borrowed from above). 

HX-preset1.JPG

I fiddled around with it for a while and discovered I wasn't using the most current version of HX Edit. So that's on me. I'm stupid. 

So this morning loaded v. 2.92 of HX Edit, reset all the patches and IRs (FS1 and 2 while powering up), and I was good to go. Rather than restore my patches, I decided to start from scratch and build a handful of patches. And it was working fine, going well, no problem.

And then I looked at HX Edit and I had the same "Failed to get present names" error. I shut HX Edit down and then the HX Stomp thinking that might reset it. Nope, I'm right back to having every patch as above and I've lost all the work I did today. 

I would welcome any help or suggestions here. I really like this pedal, but I need to know it's reliable. I've had this pedal for a little over a year, I've gigged with it a lot, used it in the studio, and I've not had any problems with it. Is this a 2.9 thing? 

Help!!!

Hola a todos!!,

Adquirí una HX Stomp hace un mes aprox y la ultima semana comenzó a dar este problema, queda congelado y el pc no lo reconoce, solo apagando/encendiendo vuelve a la vida. Tengo 2 amigos con HX y han actualizado a 2,92 pero a ellos no les sucede esto... estoy pensando que mi unidad está defectuosa.

¿Saben si Line6 se ha pronunciado sobre este problema?

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, danfeig01 said:

I just what to freak the lollipop out man! lost all me presets i spent days i cause of this dumb lollipop update 2.92

Did you create a backup, per the instructions, prior to updating? If you were using HX Edit to do the update, you’re forced to. So you should have one, and you should be able to easily restore your presets by going to File>Restore from Backup in HX Edit.

1 hour ago, danfeig01 said:

lost all me presets i spent days i cause of this dumb lollipop update 2.92

Mmm... well - USER ERROR.

I will only post the things that were in the release notes in RED tex!

IMPORTANT! Carefully read and follow the update instructions below. If you don't—and then run to the forums asking why it's not working—the interwebs will make fun of you.

IMPORTANT! Note the location where you've saved the backup.

From the File pull-down menu, click "Restore from backup..." A dialog appears. Click "Restore Backup" and then "Yes."

Guess that must mean that they are very important!

Have another lollipop because it's the sort of thing that you only ever want to do once!