Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Problem with expression pedal after 2.80 update

seemysea

HELIX LT 2.80

After restoring my presets, expression pedal settings were changed on all of them with the update. When I try to put them back to normal, it won't save them. I tried to change it in global settings but changing it to "preset/snapshot/global" seems to do nothing... Like it gets stuck on the EXP I currently select.

This happens even if I create a new preset, for example (01A) set on EXP 1 (red led). After saving it and making sure "preset" is selected in the expression pedal settings, I select another preset (01B) and select EXP 2 (green led). When I go back to 01A, EXP 2 is still on instead of the one I previously saved it on! Turning it off and on only sets the preset back to EXP 2 even when I had already saved it on EXP 1 and it does the same with every single preset. I already tried some restart combinations too and it only rebuilds my presets but the bug persists.

Also I have an external pedal controlled by the Helix MIDI OUT. When turning it off and then back on, it sends a MIDI message I never set to my external pedal and I can't stop it from doing it.

Everything was great until I found this major bug. I can't really use it like this so I had to go back to 2.71.

Is it maybe something I’m doing wrong?

I think the problem is that the EXP Toe state isn't being saved in the patch - its essentially global, and always comes up with EXP 2 selected on power up. If you use the default Wah EXP 1 and Volume EXP 2, then this will work ok. But anything else will have problems.

I'm having the same/similar problem. Snapshot 1 has a whammy pedal octave rise and snapshot 2 an octave drop. Both on EXP1.
Last night's gig was 'fun' in that both had a rise.

I can rectify this in HXEDIT but the benefit isn't saved on a power cycle. That's a blow. Return to 2.7.1 or wait for 2.8.1 and in the meantime change the setlist!?

My external expression pedal didn't function at all after this update.  I went back to 2.71 and it worked fine.  Guess I'll wait things out for now.  I gig a lot this time of year and don't want to mess up the presets I have.  As it was, I still had to redo all of my Variax settings, (3 hours before a gig, too).  Oh well, I can live w/o what 2.80 promises and maybe go for the next update.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same kind of problem here

I use extensively EXP2 for volume pedal and EXP1 for wah, use exp_toe to bypass both

and save alla my patches with volume pedal activated and wha bypassed.

- with 2.71, patches would always load with EXP2  activated : 

I could end a solo with wah activated, then switch to rhythmic preset, and I used to consistently get control of the volume pedal.

- with 2.80, patches load with whatever EXP precedently activated:

so when I end a solo with wah activated, then switch to rhythmic preset, I get to have control of the wah while it's bypassed,

while volume pedal is active but not controlled. If I press exp_toe the wha activates but it's not controlled anymore, while volume pedal is controlled but bypassed.

I think I'll look for a workaround like using a footswitch instead of exp_toe and tweak exp mappings, or rollback to 2.71, while waiting for 2.81.

Is it confirmed that Line6 knows about this bug? 

On 7/20/2019 at 1:08 PM, amsdenj said:

I think the problem is that the EXP Toe state isn't being saved in the patch - its essentially global, and always comes up with EXP 2 selected on power up. If you use the default Wah EXP 1 and Volume EXP 2, then this will work ok. But anything else will have problems.

I wondered specifically what was the issue as I haven't gotten to my expression pedals yet. Thanks for clarifying this.