Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

My Helix is quieter after the 2.80 update

Tonio_

So yeah. Basically title. And by quieter, I don't mean the presets are quieter, everything is quieter. I use my Helix as a soundcard, so I usually also listen to Spotify through it.

As a general indicator, I'd say that when the volume knob on the Helix was at noon, it was already plenty loud. If I stood closer than a meter to my speakers (like if I had to do something on the laptop, which is between the speakers obviously), I'd have to turn it down, otherwise my ears would be toast. Now, to get the same level, I have to turn the volume knob on the Helix to around 2 o'clock. 

I didn't change anything at all between the time I started listening to some music and the time when my update was complete and I re-started listening to music. Didn't disconnect anything from the laptop, didn't disconnect anything from the Helix. Basically the only thing I touched was my mouse and my keyboard...

Is anyone having the same problem? Is this normal?

Thanks guys

I definitely have gain structure changes - overall my patches were quieter after import.  My signal flow is quite complex - I use my Helix simultaneously as a guitar processor, digital mixer, midi interface and audio interface, and I stack 1024 IRs in series to apply impedance curves to my RedWirez IRs (because I'm too cheap to buy MixIR and lazy to break out Reaper).  I reason if anyone is going to have issues with levels it was going to be me ...

I've seen it as an opportunity really - took me about an hour to through my presets and fix it.

I've noticed that XLR output level drops to Mic level even though I've set it to Line level in the global settings. This happens each time I power off and on again. I then have to manually change to mic and back to line level to fix it.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, goodmove said:

I've noticed that XLR output level drops to Mic level even though I've set it to Line level in the global settings. This happens each time I power off and on again. I then have to manually change to mic and back to line level to fix it.

I suggest you open a support ticket to bring this to Line 6's attention. It sounds like a bug.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I can confirm the impression for myself that the general volume is somewhat lower.
I was brave enough after the update to play a GIG the next evening with the new version. No risk no fun.:-)

It wasn't a big deal at the sound check to increase the input gain on the mixer to have the usual volume.

On 7/21/2019 at 2:38 PM, silverhead said:

I suggest you open a support ticket to bring this to Line 6's attention. It sounds like a bug.

I've got a response from L6 support. It is confirmed as a bug which will be fixed with the next update.

Interesting.  I wouldn't have noticed this issue at all.  

Though to be fair, I always send my studio monitors a Mic level signal through my XLR outputs on Helix.  I kinda have to. My monitors are freaking loud. Event BAS 20/20s turned down almost all the way, I can only get my vol knob on Helix to Noon. Going past noon, and it starts to get too loud to mix for any length of time. 

At line level I can barely get it past 10, or 11'o clock.

On 7/21/2019 at 5:00 AM, goodmove said:

Yes, I am experiencing the exact same issue, and that's how I "fix" it each time. Even did a factory reset after the update, and that fixed another issue, (newly made presets in 2.8 were not keeping their names), it did not fix this one. I'm glad to hear it's not just me and will be addressed by Line 6.

1 hour ago, katerlouis said:

Any news on this one?

There seem to be several issues that need fixing... but I wouldn't stay up nights waiting for a formal announcement on the subject... they're not gonna go out of their way to advertise software goofs. Even if you open a ticket, all they're likely to say is "Yes, it's a bug and it'll be fixed in 2.81".

I doubt there's ever been a completely bug-free update in the entire history of firmware. This is actually the first time I've thrown caution to the wind and charged down the cannons with the rest of the "Gotta Have It! " Brigade, and updated right away. So far I have remained unscathed... but that's just dumb luck. It's almost always better to wait until the dust settles and save yourself the inevitable aggravation. There are always problems that go unnoticed until the firmware is in the hands of the great unwashed. It's a sample size problem...all the in-house/beta-testing in the world can't make up for that.

• Like 1