Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Midi Triggering your DAW from the Helix

lunartidesmusic

I doubt anyone will see this among the tons of posts about 2.8, but here is my question-

There is a band that I like and admire, that seems to be using the Helix to start/stop all their backing tracks.
The guitar player has his helix floor on the ground with a laptop next to it, but he's also running his helix into an amp setup behind him.

He some how manages to use the helix, to start/stop his sessions that have backing tracks + it sends a click track of sorts to their drummer. 
I feel like he has cracked the code on this device in a way I can't even comprehend. So I was wondering if anyone could point me in a good direction to a video
or thread, where it may break down how to do that with the helix?

It would open a lot of doors for me, being in a 3 person band, to be able to add some more stuff going on, and I also think it would be nice to start
playing to tempo mapped tracks (even if me the drummer is the only one who gets to hear the click.) 

Anyways, for those wondering who the band is, they are called Spotlights, and have some live footage floating around on YouTube, but if you watch
them you can see how he triggers the stuff all from his helix and Laptop and it doesn't look like they have a crazy expensive rack of gear with a lot of
devices to make this happen.

Thanks for anyone who is reading this far, and hopefully someone can point me in a good direction. Thanks Helix users!

He's just sending midi into his laptop I guess, using a daw of some sort, I can't tell but it looks like Reaper or Studio One.

I'm just trying to find out if there is any step by step information to get started at least with that, because I understand the concept of it, but
am having trouble just figuring out how to piece it together step by step as far as making the helix the main control for the daw / tracks / click
as well as still be a vocal and guitar fx unit.

You need to take a look at the MMC (Midi Machine Control) commands in COMMAND CENTER. These are the equivalent commands as the TRANSPORT CONTROLS you see on some keyboards. i.e. Record, Stop, Play, etc.

A while ago, as an experiment I set up the Helix to run Reaper over USB.  As long as the DAW is listening, it's pretty simple to get this working.