Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix 2.80 building presets very slow?

Effenix

During the updating firmware 2.8 had some issues. First it froze up on me cause of a rebooting issue. Had to turn off all and lukely could start updater again and it worked the second time.

But now when turn on the helix LT it take over 5 min to start up again. Bulding preset is very slow. Are people have this problem as well and maybe have a sollution.

Regards

Presets are rebuilt only once - the first time the Helix device is turned on after the presets were imported. In other words, anytime you import presets from older firmware they will be rebuilt the next time Helix is turned on but not on future startups.

I've also noticed that the preset rebuilding seems to take longer in v2.80 but I expect that's because the firmware changes are so significant, likely affecting the preset structures.

As an aside, the fact that the presets are not rebuilt immediately on importing but are rebuilt later leads me to wonder if there's any risk associated with editing these presets immediately after importing, before they are rebuilt. For that reason, just as a precaution, I make a habit of turning Helix off/on immediately after importing presets that I know need rebuilding thereby forcing an immediate rebuild and avoiding any potential issues. I'm not saying that there are issues here - just that there might be (otherwise, why rebuild the presets at all?).

• Like 1

Preset rebuild did take a long time. After that I restored my back-up and turn the helix off. Then when I turn it on again it was rebuilding presets again and I did not expect that. It again took a long time.

Now I turned off the Helix again and I now not have to build the presets again so it is quick as it was. Issue solved.

Thanks all.

Regards

45 minutes ago, Effenix said:

Preset rebuild did take a long time. After that I restored my back-up and turn the helix off. Then when I turn it on again it was rebuilding presets again and I did not expect that. It again took a long time.

Now I turned off the Helix again and I now not have to build the presets again so it is quick as it was. Issue solved.

Thanks all.

Regards

Yes - this is normal behaviour. The first rebuild (part of the update process) happens because Helix recognizes that the current presets, from v2.7x, need rebuilding to v2.80 structures. After restoring your v2.7x-created backup and restarting, Helix recognizes the same thing so rebuilds again.  The next rebuild will happen at the next startup after you import any pre-v2,80-saved presets. But only the newly imported presets will be rebuilt.

I am also finding that presets get rebuilt every time I turn on Helix.  It seems to be a few less each time, and now it only seems to go up to the first 200 or so, and maybe a few random ones after that. It certainly doesn't stop after the first boot-up following the update.

9 hours ago, gbr13697 said:

I am also finding that presets get rebuilt every time I turn on Helix.  It seems to be a few less each time, and now it only seems to go up to the first 200 or so, and maybe a few random ones after that. It certainly doesn't stop after the first boot-up following the update.

Is there a pattern? In the past I seem to remember at least one firmware revision where  copying a preset from one location to another would initiate a rebuild on the next restart. Another question would be have you loaded or created any new presets and if so, are those the ones that get rebuilt on your next startup?

HonestOpinion - It is quite likely that I moved presets around, created new ones, or edited existing presets.  I have certainly not done anything with over 200 at a time though.  A preset move would normally only involve relocating a preset within the same setlist - say up or down 20 positions.  I can't tell which presets are being rebuilt - it starts at 1 and goes up to wherever - a few hundred at present, and then throws in a few more with higher numbers.  There does not appear to be any way of identifying which are getting rebuilt.  The setlist I am working on at present is in the middle of the list of setlists, in which case I would expect the rebuild to start at a much higher number.

7 hours ago, jdosher said:

EVERY time I turn my Helix on after the 2.80 update now it rebuilds the presets, quadrupling the boot time. Not just once. Every f*cking time. Also, my EXT AMP controls no longer work properly. 

3 hours ago, gbr13697 said:

I suggest the following test for each of you:

- turn Helix on and observe the rebuild you are reporting here.

- IMMEDIATELY turn Helix off. Avoid touching anything; in particular make sure you do not edit any preset. Don't even switch to another preset. 

- turn Helix on again and observe whether or not any presets are rebuilt.

--> if so, open a support ticket with Line 6. This should not be happening nad you may have one or more corrupt presets;

--> if not, then the presets are not in fact being rebuilt every time you turn Helix on. There must be something you are doing in each editing session (e.g. importing presets) that is causing a rebuild at the next startup.

I was not surprised after the update that the rebuild of the presets lasted unusually long for me. 
Somewhat worried I was when the next day all the presets were rebuilded again after the device was turned on.
But in the evening (I had a GIG) Helix LT started without rebuild.
Since then Helix LT starts as usual.

1 hour ago, silverhead said:

I suggest the following test for each of you:

- turn Helix on and observe the rebuild you are reporting here.

- IMMEDIATELY turn Helix off. Avoid touching anything; in particular make sure you do not edit any preset. Don't even switch to another preset. 

- turn Helix on again and observe whether or not any presets are rebuilt.

--> if so, open a support ticket with Line 6. This should not be happening nad you may have one or more corrupt presets;

--> if not, then the presets are not in fact being rebuilt every time you turn Helix on. There must be something you are doing in each editing session (e.g. importing presets) that is causing a rebuild at the next startup.

I have done as Silverhead suggested.

Helix rebuilt 1-220, 520, 897, and 900-915.  I repeated this 5 times with exactly the same result each time.

1-220 are the first 2 setlists - i.e.Factory Presets, which remain in situ from the last time that such presets came with a firmware update.  I have not imported the new presets that came with 2.80.  897 and 900-915 are "selections" from the Factory Presets that I copied to a "User Template" setlist as I thought I might use elements from them at some time.  I'm not too sure about 520, but it is possible that it started out as a Factory Preset that was subsequently edited.  

It appears that all of the presets that are being rebuilt are Line 6 Helix Factory  Presets (or modifications thereof) that came with a firmware release earlier than 2.80.

Should I raise a support ticket, or just delete them, or overwrite them with the new 2.80 Factory presets?

28 minutes ago, silverhead said:

That is not expected behaviour. These presets should not be rebuilt at every startup. I would open a support ticket.

I have opened a Support Ticket:

"Helix is rebuilding presets on every start-up.  These appear to be all Factory Presets that came with a firmware update earlier than 2.80, or copies of some of these presets copied to other setlists, or modifications of Factory Presets in other setlists.  On advice of Silverhead in the forum I switched on and noted rebuilt presets, and switched off without touching anything else.  I have repeated this process more than 5 times with the same result.  Presets 0-220, 520, 897-915 are rebuilt every time.  These are all Factory Presets from earlier firmware, or derivatives from them.  I have not installed the 2.80 Factory Presets. Silverhead recommended opening a Support Ticket as this is not "expected behaviour". I fully expect this problem to disappear if I install the 2.80 Factory presets or at least get rid of the old ones and any derivatives.  However you may wish to revise your advice as to whether installing 2.80 presets is optional, and whether it is advisable to restore or import any presets that are based on old Factory Presets."

Problem solved, for me at least.  I weeded out the Factory Preset and Factory Template copies and derivatives from my User Setlists, and backed up all my User Setlists.

I then installed the 2.80 Factory Presets and Templates.  To save some space I moved the new Templates to unused presets in Factory Preset 2 setlist.  I then imported back my User Setlists, and my own Template setlist.

On restart the Helix rebuilt everything other than the new 2.80 Factory Setlists.  Then on a subsequent restart - no rebuild.

It appears conclusive that the problem was caused by, presumably corrupted, Factory Setlists and anything copied or derived from them.  I don't know which firmware update these Factory Setlists and Templates came with.  I have had the Helix since December 2017.  I probably installed new sets of Factory Setlists with some firmware updates, but skipped them later on.

In any event, I am pleased that the problem was not caused by any of my own carefully crafted presets, but by presets supplied by Line 6!

It is probably a good idea to regard installation of the 2.80 presets as preferred rather than optional, but do back up first because the 2.80 presets will wipe everything else in all setlists.

I will retain copies of the problem Factory Setlists and Factory Templates in case they are of any use in solving compatibility issues.