Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

relationship between normal usb output level and other outputs

Indianrock2020

What is the relationship between 1/4, XLR and "normal" USB outputs when you set patch levels using a DAW? I've been shooting for about -20 dbFS in my DAW's loudness plugin, but due to new pickups, I've now turned the Helix input pad OFF, and planning to switch from 1/4 at Line level thru direct box to PA to XLR at mic level.

Master volume is set to digital only so at unity/full for other outputs. If the USB is doing it's own, separate thing, then I'll still achieve consistent patch levels to the mixer and the mixer gain will have to be adjusted due to me sending via XLR/mic instead of 1/4 / Line.

I read your other post but I'm still having trouble understanding the terminology ...what I do know is that with a USB hooked up to my Helix to the laptop I've been trying to get -20 dbfs on a loudness meter in my case it was the orban loudness meter and that has resulted in mixer preamp gain of about 11 o clock which is unity on our studiolive PreSonus mixer..... and this was running out of the 1/4 inch output into a direct box with the 1/4 inch set to line level .......now I want to switch to using the XLR out I'm assuming set to mic level.

As far as what I meant by the word relationship, I mean let's say I increase the target level from -20 to -15 should  I expect a similar change in the XLR and 1/4 in output levels?

When you change the target loudness by adjusting only output level than yes the linear character of digital to analog relationship will change the level by the same value.
Albeit loudness meters have their scale called LUFS which is somewhat similar to dBFS RMS but weighted and windowed. So it is frequency dependent and averaged.
As you may have read Helix XLR mic level is quite hot - it gives 7dB louder signal than 1/4" line level output thru -18dB DI box. But not all DI boxes are the same. Neither are mic pres and stageboxes - "unity gain" term is usually valid with line level signals padded to mic level.

Thanks for that.  I'll know thursday night if XLR direct to mixer at mic level is going to require too much trim on the board.   If so I can 1) revert to 1/4 out through direct box at the new setting of Instrument Level,  2)  revert to 1/4 through DI at Line level ( don't want to do this because instrument level  works best with my small mixer at home ), 
3) make the master Helix volume apply to XLR ( don't want to do this because I like having the knob defeated against accidents) or
4) set a new target level for patches of -25 dbFS

I think going 1/4" to DI is the best way. DI boxes usually have pads (like 20 and 40dB), they provide phantom power potection and good ground isolation. If you don't want to pad at DI box you can switch 1/4" output to instrument level. It is only 8dB lower. 
BTW:
1. If you don't use Global EQ in your monitor path you can use it as attenuator.
2. There are also Di boxes with XLR input avialiable on the market.

• 1 year later...

I myself have been trying to find an answer to this question for a long time, but I can't find any exact information. Thanks all! By the way, thanks to this question, I met my girlfriend ahah. While I was looking for an answer to this question, I met a girl on a dating site. We had a nice chat and I decided to ask her this question (although I understood that she probably could not help me in any way), as a result, she did not respond to my message for 20 minutes. I thought that she probably thought I was a nerd and decided to just not even answer me. But what was my surprise when she answered and was able to really help me. After this situation, I fell in love with her and tried to show her romantic gestures in every possible way. By the way, we've been together for six months.