Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Phantom Power Blocker Q (Triton or Sescom)

jfeniello

Hi,

I want to use the XLR out of my Helix (Stomp) to run direct.  I use a Mackie DL1608 and it's all or none on phantom power, and need it for other devices.  I know i can use a DI box, but the phantom blocker is smaller and i plan on integrating it in my pedal board, and just leave it always plugged in inline.

My question is, does any one just leave it plugged into their helix regardless of if the venue/board?  I think that's fine, but the disclaimer on the Triton site made me a little nervous:

Important !
Before connecting the device you wish to shield from Phantom power make sure Phantom blocker is attached, have Phantom power switched on and wait 5 seconds during which Phantom blockers internal bleeder resistors will cancel out voltage differences. Connecting in this order prevents the transfer of an initial AC voltage burst created by the Phantom power switching on.

Any reason to be concerned, or just leave it inline and not worry about order of power on?   Sescom have the same 'feature'?

Thanks for any input

-jim

The warning from the manufacturer is correct and will apply to either product... but it really doesn't effect the HX line at all. Phantom power will not DAMAGE the HX, it just degrades the tone. At worst.... the HX won't sound it's best for the first 5 seconds. That warning applies more to something like an old ribbon mic that would DIE immediately if it saw any power. 

11 hours ago, jfeniello said:

the phantom blocker is smaller and i plan on integrating it in my pedal board, and just leave it always plugged in inline.

I'm sure you know this.... but just in case :).

The Stomp uses TRS, not XLR so first you will need a TRS > XLR adapter... then attach the phantom power blocker to the XLR end - not directly to the stomp. The mic cable will then connect to the Phantom Blocker.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2019 at 4:37 AM, codamedia said:

The warning from the manufacturer is correct and will apply to either product... but it really doesn't effect the HX line at all. Phantom power will not DAMAGE the HX, it just degrades the tone. At worst.... the HX won't sound it's best for the first 5 seconds. That warning applies more to something like an old ribbon mic that would DIE immediately if it saw any power. 

I'm sure you know this.... but just in case :).

The Stomp uses TRS, not XLR so first you will need a TRS > XLR adapter... then attach the phantom power blocker to the XLR end - not directly to the stomp. The mic cable will then connect to the Phantom Blocker.

is this really necesary? to use a phantom power blocker i mean.....

i am planing on using a TRS to XLR cable from my HX Stomp into my mixer, which has Phantom power turned on globally (all its inputs).....

14 hours ago, mcvmcv said:

is this really necesary? to use a phantom power blocker i mean.....

i am planing on using a TRS to XLR cable from my HX Stomp into my mixer, which has Phantom power turned on globally (all its inputs).....

If it's only going into your mixer, and you have no intentions of ever turning on phantom power (when the HX is plugged in) then no, you don't need a blocker. I can't get away with that.... I play too many different clubs and venues with a variety of mixers/techs. Rather than go through the same talk over and over with techs that may or may not understand the problem is far more difficult than just plugging in a blocker and not worrying about it. Before I had blockers I just ran a DI to be safe.

An option to consider is to use something like the ART DTI. It is an isolator and (sort of) adapter in one. Can be used in mono or stereo as you please.

I use it as a "phantom blocker" for my Helix LT. So the signal path would be :

Helix XLR out --> ART XLR in --> ART XLR out --> Mixing board XLR in.

But as you have HX stomp you can use a T(R)S into the ART and then either use a T(R)S out or go via the XLR. The beauty of this device is that it allows to use different types of cables/ connectors while always offering isolation of the signal.

I'm not a studio engineer so maybe I overlook some disadvantages of this thing, but I do not hear any reduction in sound quality and at least for my configuration I have confirmed (by measurement) that no phantom power reaches the Helix.

Anyhow there is debate on whether phantom power would cause problems. I've read about people having no issues at all, some others say there's an effect on the sound and some others warn for damage of the Helix. Whatever the truth may be, better safe than sorry in my view .... Cost for an isolator is relatively low.

Hope this helps ...

PS: I think you can also use a DI box in your situation.

I've personally used a Sescom phantom power blocker for years with no issue.  I just plug it into the XLR output of the Helix and never have to worry about phantom power. I choose to go this way in order to maintain a separating between the volume of the stage output (1/4") and the volume of the output I send to the mixer (XLR).

• Like 1

On 8/4/2019 at 5:36 PM, mcvmcv said:

What if i use a TS to XLR instrument cable? does it block Phantom power?

Phantom only effects the balanced signal (TRS or XLR). Since you are coming out "unbalanced" it should not effect you. 

That said... are you properly converting from hi imp (unbalanced) to low imp (balanced)? If that cable is just wired end to end all bets are off... it should be going through a transformer for a proper conversion. (ie: direct box)

9 minutes ago, DunedinDragon said:

I've personally used a Sescom phantom power blocker for years with no issue.  I just plug it into the XLR output of the Helix and never have to worry about phantom power. I choose to go this way in order to maintain a separating between the volume of the stage output (1/4") and the volume of the output I send to the mixer (XLR).

This is exactly how and why I do the same thing...