Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix power Fishman Fluence? (Phantom power via Stereo?)

JimDiGritz

I'm just about to assemble my new Strat project and I'm close to pulling the trigger on some Fishman Fluence single coils.

They need a 9v battery and I'm loathed to have to take the pick guard on/off to replace them when the battery dies. I use the trem (so won't hardtail and use the back cavity), plus I don't like the back plate so the Fishman replacement backplate battery isn't an option either.

I read somewhere that you can power active electronics using a stereo cable which draws power via the Phantom power in a DI etc. Does anyone know whether this is supported by the Helix?

Cheers!

Jim

I suppose it doesn't matter to the Helix how you power your active electronics as long as that power doesn't pass along to the Helix although I'm having a hard time envisioning what kind of DI box performs such a function and what kind of cable.  DI boxes typically are used to isolate phantom power rather than provide it.  But I suppose there's nothing limiting one from providing it if designed to do so.

Just now, DunedinDragon said:

I suppose it doesn't matter to the Helix how you power your active electronics as long as that power doesn't pass along to the Helix although I'm having a hard time envisioning what kind of DI box performs such a function and what kind of cable.  DI boxes typically are used to isolate phantom power rather than provide it.  But I suppose there's nothing limiting one from providing it if designed to do so.

Thanks, I guess my question is - will my Helix provide power to active (Fishman) pickups via a stereo cable?

I've read some comments online which suggest that active pickups *can* be powered by a stereo cable and a dedicated Phantom Power box, I was wondering whether I could eliminate the separate power supply altogether.....

47 minutes ago, JimDiGritz said:

Thanks, I guess my question is - will my Helix provide power to active (Fishman) pickups via a stereo cable?

The short answer is ... no. 

47 minutes ago, JimDiGritz said:

I've read some comments online which suggest that active pickups *can* be powered by a stereo cable and a dedicated Phantom Power box,

The Line 6 Variax guitars (at least the 1st gen guitar... not sure about the later ones) could be powered by an XPS Box through a stereo cable so you didn't need to consume batteries. I assume it is something like that you are talking about. You could likely wire your guitar to use something like the XPS, but since you are looking to avoid the extra box we are back to the short answer.... The Helix does not provide 9 volt power through a stereo cable. 

There is a long answer, but I don't recommend it. The Helix Floor/LT/Rack all provide an VDI port - and that VDI port does supply 9v. in theory, you could likely build a cable that pigtails to utilize the power of the VDI. 

• If successful, your guitar will forever have to be used ONLY with the Helix. 
  • If unsuccessful you could damage both the Helix and your pickups - throwing any warranty on either product out the window.

IMO - neither of those sound very good to me. 

1 hour ago, JimDiGritz said:

I use the trem (so won't hardtail and use the back cavity), plus I don't like the back plate so the Fishman replacement backplate battery isn't an option either.

This confuses me. You use the trem so you can't use the cavity as a battery holder (I get that part).... but you also say you don't like the "back plate". Are you saying you built a strat with a trem that doesn't use a back plate... or you don't want to use the Fishman's replacement backplate that includes a rechargeable lithium battery pack? If it's the latter, I need to ask why?  IMO that is a very practical solution that keeps the guitar self contained.... without the need for a dedicated power source AND a TRS guitar cable. 

2 hours ago, codamedia said:

This confuses me. You use the trem so you can't use the cavity as a battery holder (I get that part).... but you also say you don't like the "back plate". Are you saying you built a strat with a trem that doesn't use a back plate... or you don't want to use the Fishman's replacement backplate that includes a rechargeable lithium battery pack? If it's the latter, I need to ask why?  IMO that is a very practical solution that keeps the guitar self contained.... without the need for a dedicated power source AND a TRS guitar cable. 

Hi, yes I built a strat without backplate screw holes!