Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp Effects loop between Pre and Power Amp?

CiaranNI

Hello Everyone,

I've been using a Mooer Preamp Live for a while and was very happy with it until it developed a fault, and once my refund gets back to me I'm considering getting a HX stomp as it's replacement. I've looked at lots of videos and skimmed a lot of the manual, but haven't been able to understand whether I can set the HX up like I did with my PAL - and was hoping someone could maybe help me out before I pull the trigger.

Before the fault, I had 3 use cases for my board with the PreAmp Live. One was playing using headphones, one was direct into an interface for recording, and one was into the return of my amps effects loop for playing live. For all of these cases I run an effects loop between the Preamp and output of the PreAmp Live. When playing through headphones or direct in, I had poweramp modelling and cab sim on, and for playing into my amps effects loop and using it's power amp and cab, I had these switched off.

My question is, how best would I emulate this with a HX Stomp?

The ideal signal chains would be something like below. I think I understand how to do the third version (seems straightforward), but the first two I am unclear about. It seems that the amp & cab blocks can be separated into Amp&Cab, Amp, Cab, Preamp - but there isn't a power amp block, so I don't understand how people use the stomp with amp models and a 'traditional' effects loop?

Headphone playing: Guitar -> [Drive pedals] -> [HX Stomp - Preamp] -> effects loop -> [HX Stomp - Poweramp Model -> HX Stomp Cab Sim]

Recording: Guitar -> [Drive pedals] -> [HX Stomp - Preamp] -> effects loop -> [HX Stomp - Poweramp Model -> HX Stomp Cab Sim]

Using Amp Power amp: Guitar -> [Drive pedals] -> [HX Stomp - Preamp] -> effects loop -> [Physical Amp]

I'm assuming it's much more straightforward than I think. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks for the replies. Kilrahi - yes exactly, I run external pedals in the effects loop in all of those scenarios.

I *guess* that the best way to mimic it would be to use a separate amp and cab model in the hx, and put the send/return loop in between them? I don't know how that would sound - not sure if it would matter that all the power amp modelling would be after my delay, reverb etc. Or maybe I should just ditch the loop and have all my physical pedals up front...