Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Too much time to think.... 2.8 (hardware) vs 1.8 (native)

codamedia

This really isn't earth shattering, or important. But I was just wondering....

If the 2.8 update is meant to UNIFY everything, why is Helix Native only at 1.8

• I do realize that Native came later than the floor/rack/LT.... but it's been around longer than the Stomp (and possibly even the Effects) yet both of those are at 2.8. 
  • It can't be because it's software... HX Edit is 2.8

I would think if you were going to unify everything, you would start by giving everything the same revision number so identifying different versions would be extremely obvious. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, codamedia said:

This really isn't earth shattering, or important. But I was just wondering....

If the 2.8 update is meant to UNIFY everything, why is Helix Native only at 1.8

• I do realize that Native came later than the floor/rack/LT.... but it's been around longer than the Stomp (and possibly even the Effects) yet both of those are at 2.8. 
  • It can't be because it's software... HX Edit is 2.8

I would think if you were going to unify everything, you would start by giving everything the same revision number so identifying different versions would be extremely obvious. 

Yep. I'm having the same issue in my head too... I rolled back anyway.. 2.8 doesn't work with my helix very well... 

I think it would have been weird to release a plug-in where the first release was 2.0... I mean, Native isn't really tied to the hardware in a way where you have to have the hardware to use it.

55 minutes ago, codamedia said:

Done!

18 minutes ago, phil_m said:

I think it would have been weird to release a plug-in where the first release was 2.0

Weird things happen! Eg. not writting manuals, release of public betas as legit updates, skipping 13th versions... :D

I was going to reply and say that this is a very stupid unimportant thing to be worried about.

Instead I just voted it up on ideascale. 

I figured, what the hell. There's not enough continuity on this planet. 

• Upvote 1

Voted!  I mentioned this over on TGP - call it the "What's In A Name" update or sumtin.  Since (I assume) Updater handles other product lines we can live with 1.7 or whatever it is now - but really ALL Helix family should be on the same rev.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, phil_m said:

I think it would have been weird to release a plug-in where the first release was 2.0... I mean, Native isn't really tied to the hardware in a way where you have to have the hardware to use it.

Understood... but the HX Effects was released with the firmware version "in line" with it's bigger brothers as was the Stomp and we now learn that "effects / stomp" ran a different core than their older siblings. Since the CORE is now unified between all Hardware, Edit and Native... what's wrong with sharing the same rev number? 

20 minutes ago, Kilrahi said:

I was going to reply and say that this is a very stupid unimportant thing to be worried about.
Instead I just voted it up on ideascale. 

FYI... I am not in the least bit worried about this, hence the title and my continued notes that it really isn't important :) 

The math might be really simple... but it's still unnecessary math (IMO) to make sure all my products are up to date. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/23/2019 at 11:10 AM, ricstudioc said:

Voted!  I mentioned this over on TGP - call it the "What's In A Name" update or sumtin.  Since (I assume) Updater handles other product lines we can live with 1.7 or whatever it is now - but really ALL Helix family should be on the same rev.

I would go one step further and like to see the software actively prevent people from ending up with for example non-matching versions of HX Edit, drivers, and the firmware. Would be great to see HX Edit pop up a message and say "Nope, sorry, you are running firmware 2.71 and this is HX Edit 2.8. Please update your firmware". Or alternately, "You are running an outdated version of HX Edit, your firmware is 2.80, please update to HX Edit 2.80."  Another way to do this would be to integrate the Updater into HX Edit so that downloading the new HX Edit package was the only way you could execute a firmware upgrade.  Less flexibility with that approach but also a lot less failed upgrades. Ultimately the objective would be to tie the editor, updater, and driver versions together so that users can't mix and "mis"match components.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...