Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

going back to old firmware

GaryWalker1974

Hi All, qhen going back to previous firm ware ie from 2.80 back to 2,71 do you have to download and go back with everything ?

#updater

#helix edit

or could the updater remain at the latest version and just redo firmware back to 2.71?

many thanks for the help

Gaz

You go through the same process.  Download the install program for HXEdit and run the install.  This installs the appropriate drivers and version of the Line 6 Updater.  Make sure you're not running HX Edit and run the Line 6 Updater and chose the 2.71 firmware.

3 hours ago, GaryWalker1974 said:

Hi All, qhen going back to previous firm ware ie from 2.80 back to 2,71 do you have to download and go back with everything ?

#updater

#helix edit

or could the updater remain at the latest version and just redo firmware back to 2.71?

many thanks for the help

Gaz

I'm not sure whether you can use the v2.80 Updater to roll back to v2.71 - probably not. But after rolling back the firmware you'll want HX Edit v2.71 anyway (HX Edit v2.80 is certainly not compatible with the v2.71 firmware) so why not download it first and use the 2.71-compatible versions of the driver and Updater? That way you'll avoid any potential incompatibility.

Also, unless you made backups of your v2.71 presets you cannot roll back; presets that were rebuilt for v2.80 (which happens after the 2.80 firmware installation) are no longer compatible with v2.71 firmware.

14 minutes ago, josegermain said:

I wan't to roll back from 2.71 to 2.60 and i was almost certain that you can do it with the currect version of the updater. Would like to see if that it's correct or not. I didn't find any guide for rolling back firmware.

Should be fine using the current version of Updater to roll back. It should just list all the available firmware versions. Just click on the one you want.

1 minute ago, josegermain said:

Thanks!  And after rolling back with the updater,  should i  install the correspoding version of the drivers and hx edit (2.60 in my case) ?  Or are they backwards compatible? 

HX Edit is backwards compatible with older firmware.

I rolled back it was easy.  Just make sure that you close down HX edit then when you open up the updater it will show you a list of firmware options.  I actually re-installed 2.8 a second time to see if maybe on this install it would fix the issues but it didn't work.  I have a about a week and a half until my next gig so I'll see if there is a solution before rolling back to 2.71 again.

• 6 months later...
On 7/23/2019 at 12:33 PM, phil_m said:

Should be fine using the current version of Updater to roll back. It should just list all the available firmware versions. Just click on the one you want.

My HX Effects just stopped outputting sound, out of the blue, but when I use analog bypass you can hear the sound. I tried updating to 2.81, and still no luck. I had this issue before, posted about it and - and I had to roll back the firmware, although I'm not seeing exactly where the older firmware is available.

downloaded HX Edit 2.70, Launched Line 6 Updater 1.15, and when I open the updater, it says 'There are no available updates for this device." Where can I find the older firmware update? So frustrating, any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Screen Shot 2020-02-23 at 1.26.23 PM.png

On 7/23/2019 at 12:33 PM, phil_m said:

I don't see any firmware options when I use the updater?
"There are no available updates for this device"

6 minutes ago, highline-2004 said:

Where can I find the older firmware update?

Hi,

From the menu bar at the top of this page, click on the “DOWNLOAD” option, from the next page select “ALL SOFTWARE” and then select “HX EDIT” from the drop down menu. Now click on the “ALL SOFTWARE” and select the correct OS for your computer, then click the “GO” button. On the next page, scroll down to find whichever version of the firmware you require, then click the blue “GET DOWNLOAD” button. This will download a copy of the firmware to your computer where you need to unpack (unzip) the file and you should use the Updater application to select the local file that you wish to install.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

1 hour ago, datacommando said:

From the menu bar at the top of this page, click on the “DOWNLOAD” option, from the next page select “ALL SOFTWARE” and then select “HX EDIT” from the drop down menu. Now click on the “ALL SOFTWARE” and select the correct OS for your computer, then click the “GO” button. On the next page, scroll down to find whichever version of the firmware you require, then click the blue “GET DOWNLOAD” button. This will download a copy of the firmware to your computer where you need to unpack (unzip) the file and you should use the Updater application to select the local file that you wish to install.

Thanks @datacommando for the quick reply. I followed these instruction, but what I download is a .dmg file, which is the HX Edit Installer.
It does not give me a .hxf file with firmware...

I installed that file, and still, same result, run the installer, and get this message - 'There are no available updates for this device."

Any suggestions? 

Screen Shot 2020-02-23 at 2.57.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-23 at 3.01.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-23 at 3.03.06 PM.png

1 hour ago, highline-2004 said:

but what I download is a .dmg file, which is the HX Edit Installer.
It does not give me a .hxf file with firmware...

Hi again,

The “.dmg” file is a Mac “disk image file” which is a software delivery package containing all the files you require to perform an update. Once you launch the .dmg file the integral installer will place on your computer the HX Edit librarian and patch management application along with any required drivers, plus a copy of Line 6 Update/installer. The thing is that you want to regress you firmware and Helix is a little picky about that, so HX Edit and the version of the firmware must match. Therefore It may be advisable to delete any earlier versions of the Line 6 Updater and HX Edit from your computer. Check version numbers by selecting each item and use “get info” from the ”Finder” to determine which is correct. A stray “alias” or shortcut to another version can cause problems.

Ensure no other Line 6 software is running and connect your HXFX to your Mac with a good USB cable then launch the Updater application. If you are not connected to the internet it will show up like your previous example screen shot where it shows “Local File” then click the button which says “Choose File”. That I’ll bring up a dialogue to navigate to where your v2.70 firmware is. Select and proceed with the reversion to the earlier software.

i have just realised that I am giving you instructions for regressing to an older version of the firmware, but have you tried doing a factory reset on the HXFX to see if that works?