Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Guitar Amp Advice

ejdj

I'm looking out for a combo amp to use at gigs... I mainly will use the effects of the hd500 that I own, so I'm looking out for an amp with an effects loop... my main requirements are effects loop, durability and reliability, and above 50 watts with good clean tone...... my budget is 550$.. .. any recommendations would be appreciated

I'm looking out for a combo amp to use at gigs... I mainly will use the effects of the hd500 that I own, so I'm looking out for an amp with an effects loop... my main requirements are effects loop, durability and reliability, and above 50 watts with good clean tone...... my budget is 550$.. .. any recommendations would be appreciated

Why above 50 watts? Are you not micing your amp? I think a search on musiciansfriend.com would yield results that you could whittle down based on reviews or then bring a short list here and ask for opinions.

Tube or solid state? 1x12 or 2x12? Using just effects from Pod, or amp modeling too?

It depends in what kind of place you will play (small club, pub, venue etc..). If you're gonna mic your amp i suggest you at least a 30 watt amplifier, because even with micing, at monitor volume level a small wattage amp will colour the sound with some power amp distortion. A 30 or 50 watt amplifier would guarantee you a more clean sound. I own a laney cub12, single channel with 12" speakers, fx loop and it is perfect except that it is "only" 12 watt (which miced is perfect even for small pub!). Of course i'm talking about tube amps, i had also a solid state amp and i think is not even close to a tube amp, i would buy (used) a peavey classic 30, or laney vc30. It's better a single channel amp so you can use the clean of the amp and add distortion and other fx with the pod with teh 4cable method. Hope it helps :)

Why above 50 watts? Are you not micing your amp? I think a search on musiciansfriend.com would yield results that you could whittle down based on reviews or then bring a short list here and ask for opinions.

Tube or solid state? 1x12 or 2x12? Using just effects from Pod, or amp modeling too?

I'll b using d amp at my band rehearsals where I won't be micing it... so was lookin out for something dat will cut through... I was interested in the peavey bandit 112, but recently checked out the fender mustang III and mustang IV... I really like both of them even though they are both modelling amps which I don't require cause I have it all on my pod... but for the price they seem to be a great buy!!

I don't think you need above 50W to get a good clean tone with a tube amp and still have a decent amount of headroom. One amp I'd suggest checking out is the Bogner Alchemist. They go used regularly for around $450 anymore, and for that price, they're an awesome amp. It's 40W and can be reduced to 20W with a switch on the front panel. It's two channels. These amps were over $1,000 when they were new. I got one a few years ago when they were being blown out, and it's a great sounding amp.

The one drawback about the Alchemist is that its effects loop is parallel rather than serial, so that really prevents you from using the 4 cable method with it. You could still take the HD500 directly into the effects return, though, and use the Alchemist's power section, though.

I know you suggested a combo, but with your budget might I suggest a small power amp like one of the ART SLA series into a Bugera Vintage 2x12 cab.....basically the same size as a 2x12 combo, but you have little room for expansion without redoing your whole rig in the future by simply adding/replacing the cab. Lots of people like to hate on Behringer & Bugera, but their "Vintage" series guitar speakers sound as good as anything else below the Celestion price point. You could do a used Crate Powerblock and Vintage 2x12 for around $300.

^^^ I like gunpoint's suggestion. just get a decent power amp for around $100-$200 bucks and a 2x12 cabinet (wire it up in stereo) and you are all set.

Or you could even go the power wedge route and just plug the pod into that with cab models on.

This is the only thing i don't like about my Pod HD Pro. I can't just grab and go since it's in my 6u rack. Most of the time its better this way for my gigs, but for quick jams i don't want to take the rack..

So i have a little RD20 Diavlo coming in the mail. I bought a used Spider Valve MkII first but it was nowhere near the level of the Pod HD - very disappointing.

....so, the HD500+powered wedge could be a great grab n go rig

I had a fender frontman 212, it has a lot of volume but it is a solid state amp and it feels very cold and digital. Just my opinion but i suggest to buy a tube amp.

I had one too before I went through 2 other amps before the DT25. It fits his req's though. Rugged, reliable, and loud. Straight into the effects return it gives you just what you want: lots of clean volume.
  • Upvote 1

I have a Fender Stage 112... one of the few last ones actually made in the USA.

It has 2 channels, 100 watts of eye-piercing power and a spring reverb.

I use it all the time and it's single 1-12 speaker can keep up with a 4-12.

And I should know... as I use both. ;)

I have several amps... tube and solid state. My fav solid state is a duoverb by L6. paired with an hd 500 is very versatile and will take your head off your shoulders 200 to 300 bucks. Peavey valve king VK 100 head paired with a cab is an amazing amp for the price easily worth twice what you can get them new. 300 bucks for a head (1st version) used and a steal IMHO. A Line 6 DT50 head paired with a cab would be ideal with the hd500 via l6 link and 50watts plenty loud enough for any venue I can think of. Though a bit out of your price point.

• Upvote 1

I had one too before I went through 2 other amps before the DT25. It fits his req's though. Rugged, reliable, and loud. Straight into the effects return it gives you just what you want: lots of clean volume.

Yes, totally agreed. I think if you want to keep the price low, it is the best choice. I paid the laney cub12r 270 euros, not so much for a tube amp. Also bugera v22 i think could do the trick, it is around 300 euros i think. After i tried tubes i'm a little biased now. I feel just another level of quality and for the first time when i play live i love my tones, never happened before. Maybe they sound cool only through the amp and the audience hear only fuzz and nasty stuff ahahah :D