Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix 2.80 keyboard prevents software keyboard on iOS

katerlouis

The ability to send keyboard commands from Helix to the Host is great.

Unfortunately my iPad Pro 2018  (when connected via USB) interprets this as if a physical keyboard is connected and won‘t show the software keyboard any longer. 

This is a deal breaking issue for me. i need to use the Helix and still have my software keyboard.

please tell me there is a way to work around that or at least disable the keyboard functionality in Helix. Couldn‘t find it in global settings.

ouchy 

On 7/23/2019 at 3:39 PM, katerlouis said:

The ability to send keyboard commands from Helix to the Host is great.

Unfortunately my iPad Pro 2018  (when connected via USB) interprets this as if a physical keyboard is connected and won‘t show the software keyboard any longer. 

This is a deal breaking issue for me. i need to use the Helix and still have my software keyboard.

please tell me there is a way to work around that or at least disable the keyboard functionality in Helix. Couldn‘t find it in global settings.

ouchy 

Interesting, I used to run into a very similar issue using OnSong with my Bluetooth pedal. It was solved by activating a button on the Bluetooth pedal. I think it would be a very well received feature if Line6 added something similar to the Helix in the future.

This link helps explain why this happens.

https://onsongapp.com/docs/faq/foot-pedals/

Oh boy, so you're saying there's no way to get my iOS software keyboard working right now? That's such a bummer- I really like the new amps... but even more importantly, the quality of life changes in this update are a true blessing. Joystick rotation won't change blocks; snapshot bypass (!); snapshot reselect; swap UP/DOWN switches.

But without my software keyboard .. it's unusable

SOLVED – Line6 support came to the rescue:

apparently iOS lets you longpress the button which would usually hide the keyboard. By long pressing the software keyboard shows and continues to show whenever you focus a text input again. GREAT!

Here's an image coming from the Line6 support showing what to do 8)

https://my.hidrive.com/lnk/LOgiuBx6

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/23/2019 at 10:31 PM, HonestOpinion said:

Interesting, I used to run into a very similar issue using OnSong with my Bluetooth pedal. It was solved by activating a button on the Bluetooth pedal. I think it would be a very well received feature if Line6 added something similar to the Helix in the future.

This link helps explain why this happens.

https://onsongapp.com/docs/faq/foot-pedals/

Nope, did not say that there was no way to get it working (that would have been incorrect), sorry if my post implied that, Just sharing that I had run into it before and how it was resolved by other hardware vendors whose hardware looked like an external keyboard to iOS. 

On 7/24/2019 at 7:47 AM, katerlouis said:

apparently iOS lets you longpress the button which would usually hide the keyboard. By long pressing the software keyboard shows and continues to show whenever you focus a text input again. GREAT!

Here's an image coming from the Line6 support showing what to do 8)

https://my.hidrive.com/lnk/LOgiuBx6

Great tip, thanks for sharing it. This is a much better resolution than the one used by the Bluetooth pedal manufacturers. Having the solution be within iOS means that every peripheral device that presents itself as a keyboard does not have to work around this issue.  I wonder when this was added to iOS?  Seems almost redundant and an added expense for other hardware manufacturers like the Bluetooth pedal manufacturers to add a button to do this. Maybe they thought it would be faster/easier? Let us know if the long press method works for you.

On 7/24/2019 at 1:47 PM, katerlouis said:

Great! Awesome! :D
Is it that the example L6 CS knows the answer because it is the "Known Issue" or "FAQ"?
So my question is:
Why can't it be added to "Known Issues" and/or "Knowledge Base"?
Everybody willing to help would link to that reference. Why not make world better with such a little effort?

• 10 months later...