Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix 2.80 Update Windows 7 Drivers 1.93? Does anybody know where to download these from?

Deotone70

Im currently using Window7 and Im looking for 1.93 drivers for Windows 7. Aparently you need this in order for the Helix to be acknowledged by the latest version of Line 6 Updater. I too am stuck in "Boot Failure"... Tried the 6 and 12 method but wont work until windows 7 1.93 drivers are installed. ive scoured the web to no avail...

Thanks for the follow up on this. Can you ensure that the Editor is not running while attempting to connect to Updater. The 6+12 footswitches are used to put the Helix in update mode that should allow you to connect. Once in this mode and connected to your computer, can you launch device manager and select "sound video, game controllers" and then Helix. In this window you should be able to see what drivers you have installed. Can you tell me if the driver version is 1.93?

12 minutes ago, Deotone70 said:

Im currently using Window7 and Im looking for 1.93 drivers for Windows 7. Aparently you need this in order for the Helix to be acknowledged by the latest version of Line 6 Updater. I too am stuck in "Boot Failure"... Tried the 6 and 12 method but wont work until windows 7 1.93 drivers are installed. ive scoured the web to no avail...

The 1.91 drivers can be found here:  https://line6.com/software/readeula.html?rid=8569

Interesting - I installed using HX Edit 2.80, and it installed 1.93! Which is not listed separately on their Download page. Weired.

Did you install the update using HX Edit 2.80?

Im referring to specific drivers within windows 7. these aren't drivers that line 6 is including with the 2.80 update.

My Helix is still currently in "Boot Failure" mode. With these particular drivers, It will allow Line 6 Updater to acknowledge my helix via usb

1 hour ago, Deotone70 said:

Wonder if I need to update to windows 10 or 11?

Update to 10... there won't be an 11 any time soon. 

Windows 10 get's semi-annual major updates (March and Sept)... this is done to prevent the need of a completely NEW OS every few years... sort of like Mac did with OSX. 

3 hours ago, rd2rk said:

Did you install the update using HX Edit 2.80?

Isn't that a little confusing? You don't update with HX Edit... you update with the installer that also got installed with that package! If HX Edit is open while updating, it actually causes problems with the installer.

That's the one thing I don't see written out very clear in the instructions. 

DO NOT OPEN HX EDIT BEFORE OR DURING AN UPDATE USING THE INSTALLER! 

Im close. Im able to select under devices and printers Line 6 Helix sound, video and game controllers. it'll let me choose ok or cancel but not apply. it keeps defaulting back to helix floor. its gotta be some "settings" issue in Windows im assuming. 

1 hour ago, codamedia said:

That's the one thing I don't see written out very clear in the instructions. 

DO NOT OPEN HX EDIT BEFORE OR DURING AN UPDATE USING THE INSTALLER! 

Why the updater can't check to see if you have edit running and close it down, or at the very least tell you to close it down, is a mystery to me.  Just another Line 6ism I suppose.

-

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Andy1175 said:

Why the updater can't check to see if you have edit running and close it down, or at the very least tell you to close it down, is a mystery to me.  Just another Line 6ism I suppose.

-

It’s not just the Editor app, or even other Line 6 software, it can be anything you have open that is using the USB and could cause interference during an installation. The USB link is always susceptible to “interrupts” and things like printers and keyboards don’t suffer from this to the extent that audio stuff does.

I keep pointing people to this article, although I don’t know if anyone bothers to read it, but it should clarify a few of the things that you find to be a mystery.

Hope this helps

• Upvote 1

The freeware "USBDeview" is good for debugging such things.

First I would diconnect all other USB-devices. Then turn off the Helix and close/uninstall all Line6 Helix software/drivers and restart the computer.

Then use USBdeview and uninstlall all unneeded drivers (usb sticks e.g., ...maybe there are still old line6 drivers)

Restart and install HXEdit2.8 again. Start the Helix and try to start the update.

(This helped me some time ago, when my USB port did not recognize some drives. I don't know if it also works with the Helix problem.)

You install the update by FIRST running the HX Edit Installer. That installs the latest versions of HX Edit, drivers, and the Updater. When you run the Updater, HX Edit MUST be closed, as well as any other programs. Closing all programs before installing new software is Windows 101. As Andy pointed out, it's silly that the Updater doesn't check to see that HX Edit is closed. That does seem like a sensible thing to do, since few Windows users bother with Windows 101 :-).

7 hours ago, datacommando said:

It’s not just the Editor app, or even other Line 6 software, it can be anything you have open that is using the USB and could cause interference during an installation. The USB link is always susceptible to “interrupts” and things like printers and keyboards don’t suffer from this to the extent that audio stuff does.

I keep pointing people to this article, although I don’t know if anyone bothers to read it, but it should clarify a few of the things that you find to be a mystery.

Hope this helps

That's a great article. Unfortunately, for the majority of Windows users who've already skipped Windows 101, it's TMI, eyes glazed, TL;DR.

Most important simple rules:

1) Audio applications are processor intensive. The less stuff you've got running in the background the better your performance will be. SIMPLIFY! SIMPLIFY! SIMPLIFY!

2) DON'T USE WIRELESS! Constant processor interrupts cause all sorts of odd problems.

3) If you don't read anything else, read about optimizing your system for audio. The MOST IMPORTANT thing to do is to set your Power settings to MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE. That prevents the USB ports from going to sleep (to save energy) when you need them to be awake. Also, set the processor to maximize background operations:

(Control Panel-System-Advanced System Settings-Advanced-Settings-Advance-Processor Scheduling-Background Services).

4) Don't use a hub. I keep reading posts where people say it works fine. Then it doesn't, and they post about how "It worked yesterday!" and expect someone to tell them why it doesn't work today. It doesn't work today because DON'T USE A HUB!

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, datacommando said:

Very good of you, but my point still stands.

-

• Thanks 1