Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500x not modelling amps, tone sounds straight to the board?

jakeszabo

I just purchased a used HD500x and have been having trouble getting useable tones out of it to say the least. It seems as if the unit is not simulating the amps i want or if it is is not effecting tone virtually at all. This tone was using the son of  plexi with all the knobs at 12  with everything except the amp removed. The sound I got out sounded like I plugged my guitar straight into the board, maybe with a little more gain. The effects units work and the higher gain amps have more gain than the lower gain amps however I cannot shake it that the sound that I am getting is as if I plugged straight into the board and any variation between the amps is so slight and they dont seem to have any characteristic, it is not that I am saying the simulation isnt accurate, it just doesnt sound like my signal is being amplified or sent through the amps circuit. I need some help determining the cause. I put it into stereo direct mode and troublshot as much as I could. My cables, powersupply, headphones, audio interface do not seem to be the problem. I made it so input 1 is guitar and the other is mic, the impedence is at 22k, modifying any of these things makes no difference. In this attached file asdasd.mp3(WARNING THIS FILE IS EXTREMELY LOUD FOR SOME REASON TURN DOWN BEFORE LISTENING) the audio is constantly clipping, the only way to stop this is to lower the volume to unhearable levels. The problem is not the interface either as it makes no difference to plug my headphones directly in or into the interface, the tone is virtually the same, it doesn't sound like the amp sim is working. If anyone has has this issue or has resolved it I would greatly appreciate some help.

3 hours ago, joel_brown said:

It sounds like the PODHD is way overdriving whatever it's connected to.  You didn't give much information as to how everything is configured.  Do you have the PODHD going into a DAW or something ?

The pod is clearly being overdriven by my audio interfaces as I had to boost the gain to even here it. However ignoring the gain, my issue is with the fact that the amp simulation clearly isnt working. The resulting tone is also the same as when I plug headphones in.

1 hour ago, jakeszabo said:

. The resulting tone is also the same as when I plug headphones in.

well, yeah, that's the idea. getting the same sound all the time. 

please be more descriptive. we're obviously not grasping what you are trying to say.

12 hours ago, jakeszabo said:

(WARNING THIS FILE IS EXTREMELY LOUD FOR SOME REASON TURN DOWN BEFORE LISTENING)

no. it wasn't any louder. in fact, it was not as loud as my commercially available mp3 files. 

it is quite possible that you don't realize that most devices will shoot your computer volume to 100%. 

12 hours ago, jakeszabo said:

This tone was using the son of  plexi with all the knobs at 12  with everything except the amp removed.

Are you in the band Spinal Tap? I thought those amps only went to 11. 

You obviously meant 12o'clock. Not 12. There is a difference. 
Also, the physical knob positions mean nothing. The knobs are only used to create tones. Once a tone is set, those knobs could be anywhere. It doesn't matter. Every time you recall a tone, it will come back to the last saved position, not the current position. 

15 minutes ago, pianoguyy said:

well, yeah, that's the idea. getting the same sound all the time. 

please be more descriptive. we're obviously not grasping what you are trying to say.

The amp modelling isnt working and I cannot figure out why it isnt despite the fact there is absolutely no reason it shouldnt work. After unplugging the usb part of the jack fell off which leads my to believe the unit took some physical trauma while being shipped that didnt manifest cosmetically and the part of the unit that either controls the amp settings or the output jacks were damaged in some way that would lead to them not factoring the amp simulation into the sound. otherwise I have no clue because I have tried all the settings, updated drivers reset it and nothing has resulted in me hearing the amps functioning.

6 minutes ago, pianoguyy said:

Are you in the band Spinal Tap? I thought those amps only went to 11

You obviously meant 12o'clock. Not 12. There is a difference. 
Also, the physical knob positions mean nothing. The knobs are only used to create tones. Once a tone is set, those knobs could be anywhere. It doesn't matter. Every time you recall a tone, it will come back to the last saved position, not the current position. 

Yeah I knew that so that is clearly not the issue that I have the volumes at zero because I set them physically before testing the amp and saw on the screen they mirrored the physical counterparts so...

10 minutes ago, hurghanico said:

make sure the POD output mode (setting available only directly on the device, not in the Editor) is set to "Studio/Direct"..

otherwise the amp tones will not sound at all as they should, when the POD is directly connected to the audio interface/computer/headphones

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

already did this

13 minutes ago, hurghanico said:

open a support ticket to contact directly Line6 support guys and find with them the best solution..

a broken USB jack (plus eventually the USB controller chip) is a problem that needs to be fixed ASAP, otherwise your POD is basically useless

I already opened a ticket, but my guess is that doesnt have to do with the other issues so im going to send it back to the seller cause its internal components have clearly been significantly damaged in some capacity.

A broken USB port is a common problem on these. All it takes is a slight mis-alignment when plugging/unplugging the cable and SNAP, there you go. If you're handy with a soldering iron you can replace it. Pretty much ANY substitute that fits will be better than the original. I wouldn't blame that on previous abuse. 

A suggestion, try downloading someone else's preset and try that. If you're a newbie it's very easy to miss something.

I suspect the other owner broke the USB jack.... slid it back in place and shipped it to you like that. First use is fine... then the jack "appeared" to break when you removed the cable. 

As for the modeling not working... 

It sounded like you didn't have a cab. Are you accidentally loading the "pre-amp" versions of the modeling rather than the full versions. Without a cab loaded it will sound like crap direct. 

2 hours ago, codamedia said:

I suspect the other owner broke the USB jack.... slid it back in place and shipped it to you like that. First use is fine... then the jack "appeared" to break when you removed the cable. 

As for the modeling not working... 

It sounded like you didn't have a cab. Are you accidentally loading the "pre-amp" versions of the modeling rather than the full versions. Without a cab loaded it will sound like crap direct. 

I had a cab loaded. but it still isn't sounding like it is amplifying. 

Just a silly thought here, you know, because we have seen people like this.... 

What do you mean 'amplifying'. 

It is an amp modeler. Fake computer generated tones of an amplifier. Not an actual amplifier. There is no power in this device. You aren't powering anything with a 500

1 hour ago, pianoguyy said:

Just a silly thought here, you know, because we have seen people like this.... 

What do you mean 'amplifying'. 

It is an amp modeler. Fake computer generated tones of an amplifier. Not an actual amplifier. There is no power in this device. You aren't powering anything with a 500

I mean that it sounds like there is no actual amplified simulation it is equalizing and adjusting the gain. I said "amplifying" to indicate sounding like an amp versus just going straight into the board.

hey, had to ask. 
We've had people who thought this would power speakers. 

what I am going to suggest.... 

when you get a replacement unit, do the flash to make sure you have the latest programming. and make sure you install the default tones. and make sure you do the global reset to get all factory settings back to default. 

And then, don't change anything. 

just play guitar using the different patches. hear what they sound like. 

sure, the default patches are nothing to write home about. but you can hear the different tones that the machine makes. 

at least that way you will know - yes, the thing does work.