Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

WoW 2.8 really isn't ready still?

Tavish-Rox

33 minutes ago, markcockerill said:

First time I have uploaded a video so I hope it works.

The video shows how slow the Helix has become after the upgrade. All effects switched on and off simultaneously prior to the update.

I noticed the anomaly at the weekend gig and had to hit the boost button a second before the solo to counter the time difference. I will have to roll back as I'm not prepared to gig with it as it is now. Brilliant piece of kit and the upgrades are terrific but this delay issue is serious for me.

Before rolling back, it might be worth restoring your patches from a backup, and allowing Helix to go through the "rebuilding presets" process again. Sometimes that speeds up the loading process... it was mentioned somewhere in the update instructions.

Yes, I did exactly that. I read and re read the instructions very carefully before performing the update and all my patches were restored correctly and rebuilt from backup. I gave Helix every opportunity to do a correct job of patch rebuilding. Since I have now rolled back and successfully restored everything, the speed has returned and I'm a very happy chappie. At least I can gig with confidence. I really do hope Line 6 will see my video and fix the issue as I really did like what they had brought to the table in 2.8. Thank you for your reply.

4 hours ago, markcockerill said:

First time I have uploaded a video so I hope it works.

The video shows how slow the Helix has become after the upgrade. All effects switched on and off simultaneously prior to the update.

I noticed the anomaly at the weekend gig and had to hit the boost button a second before the solo to counter the time difference. I will have to roll back as I'm not prepared to gig with it as it is now. Brilliant piece of kit and the upgrades are terrific but this delay issue is serious for me.

I have this issue too.....although not with snapshots, its when I'm using a stomp button (2 presets, more complex than most of the ones I use).  I mostly use Snapshots to change parts of songs, but for 2 songs Slither/Crazy Train, for the sake of convenience while singing/playing lead on both....I have duplicate lead blocks (EQ/Drive/Delay/Vol Boost) for each method (Snapshot, Stomp button) as each block can only be controlled by one method (unless I'm wrong here).

So the snapshot version of my lead adjustments work fine, but when I go into stomp mode for the 'momentary' version of the lead sound, there is a very noticeable 1 second delay in the on/off bypass of these blocks. 

I had no issues with my update, I did notice that it rebuilt my presets the 2nd time I booted Helix up, but since then its been fine.   Only other thing I've noticed that has really affected me is that the Expression pedal always defaults to Exp 2 and some of my assignments have been reset back to EXP 1....so had to have a quick go around with the Editor to make sure all the ends were tied up properly. 

On 7/26/2019 at 10:15 AM, DunedinDragon said:

It seems odd to me that someone with such a great dependency on the Helix for his music work every week would be so foolhardy as to immediately jump in and install ANY FW update without giving it sufficient time to prove itself. 

From Computers to DSP floor processors, if you NEED it for work, DO NOT try to be an early adopter. I use my Helix 3-4 times a week, more if I'm recording. There's no way I'm doing a firmware update until its been out AT LEAST a month to see if there is a 2.8X version to fix any possible bugs. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, markcockerill said:

Yes, I did exactly that. I read and re read the instructions very carefully before performing the update and all my patches were restored correctly and rebuilt from backup. I gave Helix every opportunity to do a correct job of patch rebuilding. Since I have now rolled back and successfully restored everything, the speed has returned and I'm a very happy chappie. At least I can gig with confidence. I really do hope Line 6 will see my video and fix the issue as I really did like what they had brought to the table in 2.8. Thank you for your reply.

Just an update... From what I've seen so far, Line 6 is aware of the issue you described. I think it should be dealt with shortly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/26/2019 at 11:06 AM, rd2rk said:

575 words to tell us how if only L6 let everybody in the world be beta testers (as suggested in a previous rant) then this horrible crappy update would've been SOOO much better, but L6 doesn't care, just a bunch of incompetent money grubbers. The only people who like this upgrade are amateurs (bedroom and church players), and here come all the brown nose butt kissing "protectors of the realm" to hate on poor me for having the nerve to tell the unvarnished truth!

You just don't get it. DI keeps a list of everybody who posts mean-spirited, know-it-all, critical rants. The SW is designed so that when they (you) try to install it, it fails and has all sorts of bugs, thus confirming your speculations and contributing to your sense of your own personal worth. How many companies care enough about their customers to do that? And for FREE!

I generally try to keep my rants positive and informative for this exact reason! 

21 minutes ago, Guitarzman said:

I generally try to keep my rants positive and informative for this exact reason! 

Bless you brother-man! May good tones follow wherever life takes you! ;-)

• Thanks 1

On July 26, 2019 at 10:06 AM, rd2rk said:

You just don't get it. DI keeps a list of everybody who posts mean-spirited, know-it-all, critical rants.

Wow I have a whole chapter dedicated to no tuner in the editor then hehehehe ! ; )

1 hour ago, spikey said:

Wow I have a whole chapter dedicated to no tuner in the editor then hehehehe ! ; )

Embedded Zero Day Vulnerabilities "for spikey's tuner only" through v9.5 at least!