Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp acoustic modeling

Akoostick

I'm absolutely loving my HX Stomp for leading worship with acoustic guitar. But, as amazing as it sounds, I still have not been able to replicate the true acoustic quality I was getting with my LR Baggs Align Series Pedals. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going back to my previous system. This thing is just too sweet.  Now that the Helix Core is all the same across platforms, I wonder if they will start working on some acoustic amp and pedal modeling. The Session pedals put out some amazing acoustic tones. The Fishman Aura is also pretty popular and has some great tones available. 

I use the LR Baggs Anthem in my Taylor 815, so IRs are not a good option for me because of the mic component of the pickup. (But they sound great on my GS Mini with the Expression system) 

Is there a forum or platform for making requests/recommendations to Line 6?

I think the acoustic market could be huge! 

On 7/26/2019 at 4:05 PM, Akoostick said:

I'm absolutely loving my HX Stomp for leading worship with acoustic guitar. But, as amazing as it sounds, I still have not been able to replicate the true acoustic quality I was getting with my LR Baggs Align Series Pedals. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going back to my previous system. This thing is just too sweet.  Now that the Helix Core is all the same across platforms, I wonder if they will start working on some acoustic amp and pedal modeling. The Session pedals put out some amazing acoustic tones. The Fishman Aura is also pretty popular and has some great tones available. 

I use the LR Baggs Anthem in my Taylor 815, so IRs are not a good option for me because of the mic component of the pickup. (But they sound great on my GS Mini with the Expression system) 

Plenty you can do now for acoustic guitar but I agree a bit of focus on it now and then would be most welcome. It would probably generate some additional device sales, potentially quite a few, a lot of acoustic guitar pedals and amps get sold. I have posted this before but coincidentally my favorite acoustic guitar processing device of all time was made by Line6's parent company. The Yamaha AG Stomp.  Don't even need to go out of house.

8 hours ago, rd2rk said:

Line6 Ideascale.

BEFORE POSTING! Do a search for ACOUSTIC. I'm pretty sure there's several requests already, each getting a few votes instead on ONE getting many!

Well, I'm new to this forum and how it works. Couldn't find a search tool when using my phone. Before you use all caps and and exclamation point to show your superiority and frustration, take breath and count to three. Let's be a group that supports each other instead of alienating new users. 

On 7/26/2019 at 11:10 PM, Akoostick said:

Well, I'm new to this forum and how it works. Couldn't find a search tool when using my phone. Before you use all caps and and exclamation point to show your superiority and frustration, take breath and count to three. Let's be a group that supports each other instead of alienating new users. 

Don't read more into it than there is. There's a difference between emphasis on a point that most newbies ignore to their own detriment and the rest of that nonsense you're accusing me of. You're being over-sensitive and attacking someone who's trying to help you!

The search tool is over on Ideascale. Phone apps/browsers are often less than fully realized tools:

We're a VERY helpful,and usually pretty civilized community. Part of the problem with online forums is that INTENT (emphasis there) sometimes doesn't translate well. :-)

Also , the emoticon function doesn't work!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I've been using stomp for months with both of my acoustics (Martin CEO-7 & Gibson J-45 both with LR Baggs Element). I ran a pretty extensive analog rig before to get the best tone possible but found that the stomp can get me pretty close. I'm simply using the studio preamp, some verb and spent a lot of time with the EQ. For church use I spent a lot of time with our sound engineer to EQ each guitar perfectly for the church which makes it very consistent. I've been really happy with it. I've tried IR's for acoustic but they do nothing for me (although I use IR's all the time for electric).

That's my 2 cents. Best of luck!

I had also requested this before.  And as mentioned above, was advised by Line 6 to use the Helix studio preamp, parametric EQ along with acoustic IRs, add spacial and time-based FXs as needed.  Actually good advice as they sound really good.  I chose 3 Sigma Martin IRs since I play a D18, very nice..

However, I still feel that Line 6 should develop a few of their own acoustic Cabs.  With the already available mics in Helix, I feel sure we could build some incredible acoustic presets.

• Upvote 1

On 7/27/2019 at 9:57 AM, surfsup1955 said:

I had also requested this before.  And as mentioned above, was advised by Line 6 to use the Helix studio preamp, parametric EQ along with acoustic IRs, add spacial and time-based FXs as needed.  Actually good advice as they sound really good.  I chose 3 Sigma Martin IRs since I play a D18, very nice..

However, I still feel that Line 6 should develop a few of their own acoustic Cabs.  With the already available mics in Helix, I feel sure we could build some incredible acoustic presets.

The whole point of a good acoustic guitar amp is to amplify the acoustic guitar as realistically and cleanly true to form as possible, and allow you to EQ as needed.

The Stomp already does every single one of those things. 

On 7/26/2019 at 11:28 PM, rd2rk said:

Don't read more into it than there is. There's a difference between emphasis on a point that most newbies ignore to their own detriment and the rest of that nonsense you're accusing me of. You're being over-sensitive and attacking someone who's trying to help you!

The search tool is over on Ideascale. Phone apps/browsers are often less than fully realized tools:

1870614263_IdeascaleSearch.thumb.png.645dc36440ae1562f28664ac3dbaa1a5.png

We're a VERY helpful,and usually pretty civilized community. Part of the problem with online forums is that INTENT (emphasis there) sometimes doesn't translate well. :-)

Also , the emoticon function doesn't work!

Ok, we'll chalk it up to a misunderstanding. In my experience with forums and social media, all caps and and an exclamation point denote yelling, frustration, anger, or veiled name calling. 

I have searched "Acoustic". I've combed through dozens and dozens of posts and haven't found anything similar to my post. Not saying they don't exist, I'm just not having any success locating them.

Thank you for your help.

David

12 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

The whole point of a good acoustic guitar amp is to amplify the acoustic guitar as realistically and cleanly true to form as possible, and allow you to EQ as needed.

It is certainly possible. But there isn't a lot of info that I've been able to locate on dialing in an accurate representation of what I hear out of my guitar. Just looking for tips to help, and to see if Line 6 may be doing any specific acoustic work. 

On 7/28/2019 at 11:17 PM, Akoostick said:

Ok, we'll chalk it up to a misunderstanding. In my experience with forums and social media, all caps and and an exclamation point denote yelling, frustration, anger, or veiled name calling. 

I have searched "Acoustic". I've combed through dozens and dozens of posts and haven't found anything similar to my post. Not saying they don't exist, I'm just not having any success locating them.

Ideascale search results for "Acoustic":

That's 277 results for "Acoustic".

Ideascale search for "Helix Acoustic":

That's 78 results for "Helix Acoustic". 5 of the first 6 results were requests for an acoustic amp or preamp. Together they garnered 2935 votes. If all 5 of those posters had done a search first, the first request would have had nearly 3,000 votes. Instead they split those votes 5 ways. And that's looking at just the first 5 posts in the search. There's probably more farther down in the results.

THAT'S why I made the suggestion so emphatically.

FWIW - There were 26 words in my initial post. FOUR were in caps. That's FAR from "all caps".

Community search for "Acoustic":

1874 posts is a lot to sort through, and certainly they wouldn't all pertain directly to dialing in acoustic tones, but 2 dozen dozen (minimum definition of dozens) is 288. You've still got a lot of reading to do! :-)

Good Luck! I SINCERELY (and I DO mean SINCERELY) hope you find what you're looking for and make lots of great music!

6 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

Good Luck! I SINCERELY (and I DO mean SINCERELY) hope you find what you're looking for and make lots of great music!

BTW and FWIW - I haven't made any suggestions for dialing in acoustic tones because I rarely play acoustic - but when I do, a tiny bit of Compression and a hint of Room reverb are all it takes. No amp sim or fancy processing required, and it sounds EXACTLY like my Epi DR500MCE in a nice room! Add a bit of Vibrato or Chorus for effect if you like, and EQ to taste. Run it thru a full range speaker (which I HATE for electric), I'm golden. YMMV.

• Upvote 2

Basic acoustic rig starting point.

Built in Noise Gate >

Studio Tube Pre >

EQ (to taste) >

LA Studio Comp >

Chorus (your choice and mix to suit) >

Reverb (your choice and mix to suit)

Works for recording using my Gordon Giltrap Signature with built in Fishman Rare Earth Blend System.

Little trick for refining the set up - because you usually need both hands to play.

Add a looper as the first block and strum or fingerpick a loop to playback while you adjust the sound to suit.

Optional extra - last block - Dimension from Legacy FX mixed in at around 15 - 20%

Done

• Upvote 1

On 7/26/2019 at 2:05 PM, Akoostick said:

I have to say, personally I was VERY impressed with the HX Stomp factory acoustic presets. I didn't ever use them EXACTLY as they came, but with some tweaking I really liked them.  Below are some other experts besides Jason (who is also great) that you might want to check out. The first one was for making a Line 6 Variax sound better, but I thought the tips worked great for pretty much any plugged in acoustic. The other one is Peter Hamm, and I actually bought some of his presets and was very glad I did. They became the building blocks for more things in the future and now I feel confidant doing it on my own. 

On 7/28/2019 at 12:49 PM, Kilrahi said:

If you’re mic’n the sound hole that could be true.  However using my D18 pickup (K&K Pure Mini), “realistically” and “true to form” is not even close on the Floor Helix, unless you’re running good IRs..  Line 6 could provide the same results with a few good acoustic cabs. 

1 hour ago, surfsup1955 said:

If you’re mic’n the sound hole that could be true.  However using my D18 pickup (K&K Pure Mini), “realistically” and “true to form” is not even close on the Floor Helix, unless you’re running good IRs..  Line 6 could provide the same results with a few good acoustic cabs. 

I don't see how that could possibly be true. A acoustic cab is just a fuller range cab with a bunch of EQ. That's it, and like you said, you even have the option of IRs, so I don't see what we'd be gaining with the model of an acoustic amp.