Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

2.8 update messed up Helix (so far)

erikwt78

20190726_234838.thumb.jpg.1c6d3657208e6d0956378f194b0c5c8a.jpgSo I read all about the update, followed it to-the-letter and ended up bricking(?) My helix.

To make the short story shorter, I started the updater (after backing up & all of that), took about 15 mins for the window to come up where you press "ok" or something like that but after about 6 hours the update bar was still stuck in the middle. The updater window apparently went back to the login, whereas the Helix screen shows what these pic show.

So, I've gotta call tech support in the morning (hopefully they're around on saturdays because I need the pedal this weekend). 

My warning to you is to not take this update lightly, it could screw with your board.

20190726_235033.jpg

I should also mention, when the window went back to the login, which seemed odd to me, I logged back in and as you can see from the pic, it didnt read the Helix although its plugged in.

It's been 2 hours and still shows what you see. Maybe something will happen by the time I wake up but not holding my breath. 

If anyone has a recommendation for something i can do before calling support, I'd love to know what you've got.

Try these in this order, these steps have worked for many people:

1. Exit the Updater, unplug the USB and replug it and restart Updater. If the firmware update does not complete reboot your PC and try the same process in other USB ports and see if update completes
  2. Unplug everything from the Helix, reboot your PC, plug Helix back in and start the Updater and  see if you can get the firmware process to complete
  3. Uninstall all Line6 software and download and reinstall "HX Edit" 2.80. Check all the install boxes - drivers, Updater, HX Edit. Start Updater and attempt firmware update.
  4. If it is still hanging try using a different USB cable and try connecting to every available USB port.
  5. If none of this worked check out this thread, there are a ton of tips over there as well as many other topics that were started in the few days since the upgrade that contain tips for completing the upgrade.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, knoxdaz10 said:

if you followed the steps you should not have any issues.

plain and simple

Ha! You underestimate the curse that lingers over me regarding anything electronic.  So far, out of the first 3 steps, nothing has worked. We'll see.

8 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

Try these in this order, these steps have worked for many people:

1. Exit the Updater, unplug the USB and replug it and restart Updater. If the firmware update does not complete reboot your PC and try the same process in other USB ports and see if update completes
  2. Unplug everything from the Helix, reboot your PC, plug Helix back in and start the Updater and  see if you can get the firmware process to complete
  3. Uninstall all Line6 software and download and reinstall "HX Edit" 2.80. Check all the install boxes - drivers, Updater, HX Edit. Start Updater and attempt firmware update.
  4. If it is still hanging try using a different USB cable and try connecting to every available USB port.
  5. If none of this worked check out this thread, there are a ton of tips over there as well as many other topics that were started in the few days since the upgrade that contain tips for completing the upgrade.

FYI, re-doing this list again and still nothing. Also, The guys at Line6 may want to look at their HXedit download site page, 2.8 download comes up twice (one after another), first one is a download to a .dmg file that just opens browsers over and over again. 2nd one is the one that works, just about the 2.71 download.

Update:  Got it working!

One of the problems is the page to download HXEdit update- there are 2 downloads for it (one after the other), the first one (88.3 mb) is a .dmg file that all it did was open web browsers. There's a second download link (82mb) is the real .exe 2.80 update file; 3rd one down is the 2.71 update. First time I tried the whole fix-it list, that first download link wasn't there, just the correct one. So it seems, after uninstalling and re-installing the HXEdit program a 3rd time (after this whole link debacle) , that's what did it.

Cheers!

16 hours ago, erikwt78 said:

Update:  Got it working!

One of the problems is the page to download HXEdit update- there are 2 downloads for it (one after the other), the first one (88.3 mb) is a .dmg file that all it did was open web browsers. There's a second download link (82mb) is the real .exe 2.80 update file; 3rd one down is the 2.71 update. First time I tried the whole fix-it list, that first download link wasn't there, just the correct one. So it seems, after uninstalling and re-installing the HXEdit program a 3rd time (after this whole link debacle) , that's what did it.

Cheers!

The DMG file you downloaded is HX Edit for OS/X, but it is easy to miss because it only says this in fairly small text in the line above the download button.

Since I use Windows 10, when downloading software from Line 6 I always choose the OS in the search criteria.

Regards,

Dave

Screenshot 2019-07-28 at 07.55.04.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 7/28/2019 at 6:43 AM, datacommando said:

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

Why do I continue to be surprised by some people?

Because there are billions of people out there all with different mental capacities, focuses, thought processes & savvy. And sometimes, yes sometimes, our shortcomings will be amplified over our know-how depending on where the strength's & weaknesses lie AND intentions. Thankfully tho, a mistake/oversight/lapse in judgement doesn't necessarily reflect the true nature of the being in question.

As it's been said before "Nobody is perfect...." If you or someone else out there is perfect, please, allow me to be your follower.

• Thanks 1

On 7/28/2019 at 2:56 AM, foxmeister said:

The DMG file you downloaded is HX Edit for OS/X, but it is easy to miss because it only says this in fairly small text in the line above the download button.

Since I use Windows 10, when downloading software from Line 6 I always choose the OS in the search criteria.

Regards,

Dave

Screenshot 2019-07-28 at 07.55.04.png

Yeah, i've done that before, not all the time- it was an apparent over-sight. But alas, all is well & good. Hopefully someone who is having trouble with the update will sift through all the complaints & concerns about it, opening their eyes to a possible mistake they may have made.

Thanks for the info and the reminder!