Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Anyone Tried A Different String Gauge?!

Hey

I was just wondering if anyone had tried a different string gauge on their JTV's. I'm kinda used to the 0.10's and I've been using the recommended d'addario strings, but I always preferred 0.11 strings...

Anyone tried chaging the gauge? How did it affect the modeling? Thanks

Rod

If you switch string gauges to a heavier gauge you may need to adjust the truss rod to compensate for the added pull.  However, if you go heavier just 1 level as in .010 to .011, you'll probably be fine.  Something to keep an eye on.

I find that with the .010's my low E string vibration doesn't transmit to the piezo as well as with other strings.

I haven't tried it myself, since I use 10's anyway, but I've heard that changing string gauges doesn't affect the modeling much, if at all.  Usually it's folks wondering if they'll be OK with 9's.  You should be just fine with 11's.

As thorneven mentioned, you'll need to adjust the truss rod and intonation.

Thanks guys

I guess I'll try the 0.11's as soon as I run out of 0.10's!

I'm not that great of a player, but I'm really sensitive to fine tuning and intonation, and I have better control over it with 0.11's. They'll stay in tune better when sliding or pressing hard with my fingers, or strumming hard, and I find them also better in terms of intonation...the 0.10's can be tricky or vague, cause they'll slightly go over when picked a bit harder.

Anyone tried custom gauges, like light top/heavy bottom?

I am currently playing a JTV-69 with Skinny Top Heavy Bottom 10-52.  I had to adjust the tremelo just a bit for the extra pull from the heavier strings.  As for tone and clarity of the models nothing changed, I like the heavier strings for the Mag pickups.

I'm curious if anyone has tried .009-.042.  I know the lighter gauge creates problems with intonation when fretting too hard, but boy do I like the ease of fretting and bending in solos.

Hey thorneven. I have been using the D'Addario super lights (9 - 42) for ever. I have a 69k and did not even play the guitar before I swapped the strings out. Had to adjust the bridge as it was not floating at all when received and some minor intonation adjustment. The neck has been fine. I am also already used to jumbo frets so my fingers don't hit the fret board that often anyway so I have not noticed an issue with pressing the string all the way down.

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...

Thanks!  This forum helped me try out 0.11 string guage on my James Tyler Variax jtv59 and I'm quite happy with the intonation as I used to have serious issues earlier with the tuning, specially the g string!  I'm a fingerstyle player and tend to pick heavily so 0.11s suit me I guess!

I'm using Light Top/Heavy Bottom strings on my JTV-69, and really like the better sound from most guitar models, especially the acoustics.

I had the adjust the trem springs, and re-intonate the bridge. All is good!

I've got 0.008 - 0.038 on my JTV-69 but have always played with light gauge strings.  Yes you have to be careful and not strain your finger placement if you don't quite hit the sweet spot before the fret they bend easily.

Did notice an individual string volume increase on the low E for some reason, still trying to get to the bottom of it.  Probably the bridge height

• 4 months later...

On my JtV69s I've changed to .011 - .049's.  I'm curious about the comment by Handsofgrey, "I had to adjust the tremelo just a bit for the extra pull from the heavier strings."  Could you elaborate on the adjustment made?  The rear of the bridge seems to be pulled up more with the heavier gauge strings.

I'm also having some trouble achieving stability in the intonation with this guitar.  With the original strings I was hoping it was just because they were old.  But the situation doesn't seem to have changed with the new strings, which have been on for three days of moderate playing so they should be stretched out and stable.  I've never had a tremelo feature before.  (I play mostly acoustics and have used a Les Paul for electric for many years.)  Does the floating bridge introduce some intonation issues?  This guitar has locking tuners by the way.

Heavier strings pull the bridge up and forwards, lighter strings don't pull as hard and bridge goes down and back

It needs to be adjusted for otherwise your intonation will be shot, strings will sit too high/low, fret buzzing...

You need to remove the big plate in the middle of the back of the guitar, then with a big cross head screwdriver tighten the screws that attach the spring claw to the body if you have heavier strings, or slacken them if you have lighter strings.

How much?  It depends on lots of other factors, but the simplest target it to get the Trem back into the position it was in before you changed the gauge.

This is standard trem set-up and applies to any trem equipped guitar.

This document covers an awful lot more related to setup of the JTV-69 Trem - photo on top of page 7 shows the springs, claw and the two screws.

https://www.cx.com/0/io/hotlink/YPIXs8oREeOMhyICCluF4w/Tyler_Variax_JTV-69_Tremolo_Setup_111030.pdf

[won't even start about whether the claw should be parallel to the body or tighter on the bass side.. :ph34r: ]

• Upvote 1

jtv 69s with 9's.

both mags 'n models (incl acoustics) playing right on tune on whole scale-no problems whatsoever-excellent playability 'n easy 2 play really fast...

example vid here

What a great example of what this rig is capable of!  I've watched a number of your videos, and they are quite impressive!

• Upvote 1

I replaced the 10s for 9s on my 69s,.. readjusted the trem no problems and intonation is great. I like 9's on my strats (longer scale) and 10's on my gibsons and jazz boxes (shorter scale). Even though the scale is different the tension feels the same.