Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider V Remote Won't Launch On Mac

bcunning01

I am trying to use the Spider V Remote and have downloaded the app onto my Imac.  It is running Mojave.  When I click on the icon it just takes me back to the picture below.

I thought that maybe I would try it on a different computer and put it on my other Mac.  It is running High Sierra.  I downloaded the Spider V Remote and after installing clicked on the icon and it took me to the same box again.  When you click it all it does is install it back onto the computer.

Does anybody know how to get it to work?

IMG_0445.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar problem on Mojave. It says it installs fine and does create a Line 6 folder within Applications as it says - note, it doesn't create a 'Spider V Remote' app in the Applications folder, but a 'Line 6' folder which the app is supposed to be inside. I hate it when companies do this, but whatever...

Anyway, the folder is created but is locked and reports as being 0kb. I can't open it or launch the app in any other way.

Have raised a ticket with Line 6.

OK, found a fix.

There's a bug with the folder permissions when it installs, but the app is actually there.

1. Do the install

2. Go to your Applications folder where there'll be a 'Line '6 folder with a no entry sign on it

3. Get Info on this folder (CMD-I)

4. On the bottom-right of the Info pop-up will be a little padlock. Click this and type in your Mac password

5. At the bottom of the pop-up, click the menu item under 'Privilege' for 'everyone'. It'll be set to 'No access' I think. Change to 'Read only'

That's it. The app will now appear.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

So I am having the same issue with Mac v.10.14.2 (Mojave ). I have  downloaded the Spider V Remote v.2.0 from the downloads page on the Line6 website. I ran the installer and it gave me a green check box on the modal indicating everything installed correctly. When I go to my Applications folder I see a Line6 with a red icon and a line through it. The folder also shows Zero Bytes. When I click on it I get the message (The folder, "Line6" can't be opened because you don't have permission to see it's contents.).

I ran the fix mentioned by StationGrey above by entering my password, unlocking permissions and setting them to Read & Write but to no avail. I also tried Read Only but that didn't work either. I even rebooted the Mac on the off chance that would fix something in the file permissions. What is really odd is that the permissions look to be set to someone named "wheel". I have used Macs for over 20 years and have never seen this type of issue with an installer.

If Line6 is listening this is a pretty big deal. Ideally your installer should be installing the app directly into Applications system folder not a sub folder, unless of course there are other folders associated with it. (i.e. plugins, extensions, etc.). Two the installer should not be locking the permissions on the app folder. I am amazed that this hasn't been fixed and if it been fixed via some type of patch that they haven't re-uploaded a new version of the installer.

The Spider V mkII was announced at NAMM 2019 back in January and Mac Mojave was released in September of 2018. That is plenty of time to work through issues like this.

Screenshot-1.png

Screenshot-2.png

Screenshot-3.png

Screenshot-4.png

Screenshot-5.png

• 3 months later...

Follow the instruction above but rename the folder to something else. Create a new Line6 folder in your applications  - move the contents to the new folder and it will then show up in your launchpad as well. I am guessing the folder is created as that is where default backups etc will be housed. 

@billc123 Unfortunately that does not work because even if the folder is renamed it still shows zero bytes and no content appears when you click on it. Therefore there is nothing to move and no other app titled Line 6 or Spider appear in the Mac Applications folder.

Screenshot.png

On a side note I just tried downloading the installer again from the following page and it still doesn't work. I was kind of hoping that given its been about 4 or 5 months since I last posted that this may have been patched by their app dev team. It truly amazes me that this hasn't been fixed yet. I really wonder if anyone from Line6 is actually monitoring this site.

https://line6.com/software/index.html?name=Spider V Remote&os=All&submit_form=set

• 3 months later...

Line 6 Spider V remote for MAC OS Catalina is not getting installed. Attached error message for reference.

“Spider V Remote.pkg” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.

This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information.

This item is on the disk image “Spider V Remote 2.00.dmg”. Chrome downloaded this disk image today at 4:31 PM from line6.com

Line6 Error.png

2 hours ago, vjhline6 said:

Line 6 Spider V remote for MAC OS Catalina is not getting installed. Attached error message for reference.

“Spider V Remote.pkg” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.

This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information.

This item is on the disk image “Spider V Remote 2.00.dmg”. Chrome downloaded this disk image today at 4:31 PM from line6.com

Line6 Error.png

You can still install it. Instructions are here: 

• 3 months later...

After abandoning hope of ever using the Line 6 Spider V app on my Mac running Mojave. I decided to once and for all try and solve this issue where the app folder was locked (see my previous post in this thread).

Well... having used Macs all my life I got to thinking that maybe the locked folder was due to the fact that you could not edit the folder permissions while it was in the Applications folder on the Mac. So here is what I did and low and behold it worked:

- Find the locked Line 6 folder in your Mac's Applications directory (folder)

- Hold down your option key on the keyboard and drag the folder to your desktop.

- Holding down the option key will make a copy of the folder on your desktop. If you don't hold down the option key it will just make an alias to the existing folder

- Open that folder and now you will see the actual app file.

- Drag that app to your Applications folder... Do not put it in the a sub folder.

- Double click the app icon to launch the application.

Screenshot-1.png

Screenshot-3.png

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

Hi Ricardo,

Awesome that you found a command line fix! Well done.

That said, I did want to let others know that if you are intimidated by using Mac’s terminal app, the fix I posted above on September 21, 2020 does in fact work. I have been using the Spider V Remote app for months now without issue. Either way… I think between the two fix options above, Mac users finally have a couple solutions for installing the app.

Frankly it seems that Line6 should have provided a solution for this long ago or fixed the problem with their installer. I am still a bit bitter about that. Great customer service is the key to repeat business and this experience definitely turned me off a bit.

Cheers,

Rob