Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

2.8 Amp Models

ieperry

Possibly just that they are new but the three new amp models (especially combined with a nice IR) just seem to be particularly good.

Assuming it's the same software team, I guess Line 6 may just be getting better at making these models as they go along (practice makes perfect and all that).

Either way, I reckon the Fullerton fills a bit of a previous gap in the mid-gain line up with a nice detailed light overdrive tone (works great with the new distortion pedals too).

The Grammatico is the clean tome I've been looking for (nice and sparky, great high frequency detail). Previously I'd been using the Glenn Delaune clean tone preset pack for all my clean tones (especially the Fargen) but the Grammatico works straight out of the box.

And, while I'm not really a hi gain player, the Rev is just great fun. Has usurped the Mesa as my favourite hi gain amp model.

Throw in the KOT and tilt EQ and I have to say this update has really elevated the Helix.

Bit of a banal fanboy post but, credit where credit is due, I reckon they've done an awesome job here.

ip

1 hour ago, ieperry said:

Possibly just that they are new but the three new amp models (especially combined with a nice IR) just seem to be particularly good.

Assuming it's the same software team, I guess Line 6 may just be getting better at making these models as they go along (practice makes perfect and all that).

Either way, I reckon the Fullerton fills a bit of a previous gap in the mid-gain line up with a nice detailed light overdrive tone (works great with the new distortion pedals too).

The Grammatico is the clean tome I've been looking for (nice and sparky, great high frequency detail). Previously I'd been using the Glenn Delaune clean tone preset pack for all my clean tones (especially the Fargen) but the Grammatico works straight out of the box.

And, while I'm not really a hi gain player, the Rev is just great fun. Has usurped the Mesa as my favourite hi gain amp model.

Throw in the KOT and tilt EQ and I have to say this update has really elevated the Helix.

Bit of a banal fanboy post but, credit where credit is due, I reckon they've done an awesome job here.

ip

Hi,

Watch this for a little insight as to how this stuff is done - there's a lot of work behind it - and a little bit of magic!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I believe they had to do some major dsp software changes to model the tweed deluxe because it was so processor intensive.  More DSP doesnt neccesarily mean better sounding, but I think Line 6s modeling technique has become more sophisticated since Helix first launched.

Thanks for the video! That's very informative and not just marketing flannel. I know that Boss and Vox use actual component modeling and circuit simulation of the amp circuit as the basis of their technique. Interesting that L6 use a slightly different technique but still based on measuring the signal path through the amp.

I'd previously thought it was just a simpler/single I/O transfer function with  a single algorithm used to map the signal transfer function trough the amp. As described in the video the actual technique is far more interesting and seems to account for the interplay between amp stages.

Fascinating stuff (to me at least :) )

Cheers,

ip

• Thanks 1

I haven't had a chance to play with them much yet, but what are the differences between the fullerton and grammatico models?  The description of the LaGrange on the grammatico site doesn't mention any differences from the tweed deluxe it's based on.

@datacommando... Great video, thanks for posting that. 

I didn't realize that they (for the most part) manually create these models.... I though it was more automated than it is. 

I got into a heck of a debate a while back about volume... I was trying to explain that whenever I feel disconnected with my tone I would turn up my monitor a little louder and that solved my problem. The other party insisted that the modeler doesn't change with volume and was adamant that I had no clue about what I was talking about. Myself? I knew that I simply wasn't conveying what I actually meant but I couldn't figure out how to explain it.

Confirmation bias alert! 

@12:17 of this video that topic comes up and it is described perfectly. Finally... re-enforcement from the model creator himself that I have not lost my mind (yet) and I am not reacting to some placebo effect.

With your monitoring turned up to a natural level it directs you to set the amp models more like the real amp... and forces you to play with more dynamics as you naturally would. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2