Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix not recognized as an input device

mattwolfson

Hey guys,

I'm really at a loss here and could use the help.Helix LT connected via USB to my MacBook Pro. Updated machine with Helix 2.8.

The Helix is not recognized as an input device when using with a standalone VST (Mikko) as well as in Reaper and other audio applications. Hooking up the computer to the Helix via USB allows audio from Spotify, YouTube, etc. to play, but when using it for a VST it's not recognized as an input device, even after being set as the input device.

I have HX Edit routing audio to USB 1/2. The VST program Mikko outputs audio through my monitors when using the "Test" button in its audio settings, but does not detect input (and in turn output) in its meters.

I don't quite know what I am doing wrong. 

EDIT: We can rule out the Helix itself btw. It works on Windows (but that machine is underpowered and causing popping, so I want to use the MacBook for this purpose).

Screen Shot 2019-07-28 at 1.23.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-28 at 1.24.32 PM.png

Screen_Shot_2019-07-28_at_1_23.45_PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-28 at 1.24.21 PM.png

On 7/28/2019 at 6:26 PM, mattwolfson said:

The Helix is not recognized as an input device when using with a standalone VST (Mikko) as well as in Reaper and other audio applications. Hooking up the computer to the Helix via USB allows audio from Spotify, YouTube, etc. to play, but when using it for a VST it's not recognized as an input device, even after being set as the input device.

Hi,

I just tried Helix in Reaper. Not sure about your Mikko gizmo, but Reaper seems to work.

What I did notice is that with AUDIO/MIDI set up you are stuck with a single sample rate of 48,000 and you cannot change it like you could previously.
I think I will need to look in to this a little bit further. Being able to change sample rates could be important on some projects.

See Screengrab of Reaper Playback via Helix Audio:

Edited by datacommando
Removed file - low on space

Hi, Can you try installing the latest Driver and seeing if that helps. I attached a screenshot.

I do know that if i don't install the driver on my Mac I am forced to use at 48kHz only. So maybe installing the driver will help your setup. 

Capture.PNG

• Upvote 1

Installing a Helix Mac Driver is a workaround (or maybe it is not because "1.0.7.is a required update"?)
Helix Mac Driver is Core Audio driver not "Apple Class Complaint" usage which requires no driver instalation and gives much lower latency at the expence of other than 48kHz sample rates.
48kHz is the only sample rate Helix can work with as the "Apple Class Compliant" device.
The question is: Can OSX users test if "Apple Class Compliant" usage works with respect to the Helix as audio input device. Just try to record anything and report. 
Testing and reporting means to provide data such as:  OSX version, hardware type, Helix type.

I looked inside the “HX Edit 2.80.dmg” when it mounted on a Mac OS X computer. Inside the “installer.pkg” there are 2 sub packages - one consists of the Helix Editor application and the other is the latest Line 6 Updater application. Without going any deeper it appears that the “required 1.0.7 Mac Driver” is not installed by default. That explains why you are stuck with the 48,000 sample rate.

• Thanks 1