Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Chain Effects and EQ

Sgibbs87

I have been tone chasing with this piece of equipment for quite some time now. About a year to be exact. This is definitely a complicated piece of equipment in my eyes, nonetheless, i am quite determined to learn as much as possible to fully utilize this beast. I have been reading this article http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/ampTone#preEQ in order to try and help me better understand some aspects of this pedal. Perhaps i should sell and buy the pro as i dont really tend to use the peda effects and i am using this more for a amp/cab sim in recording my own material. Or perhaps i should sell it and invest my money elsewhere. I am not sure what to do. My problem is that when recording my tone will sound ok before i open my DAW and i am playing through my interface. Once i open my DAW the sound tends to be pushed up higher and im not sure where to compensate here. Im looking at the eq cause i have turned down the gain on my interface and the ch. volume on my cab sim. I was reading about pre-eq to get rid of some buzz/fizz and i am wondering if that is where the problem is. Does the pre-eq come before or after the amp in the chain? Where do I access the frequencies as explained in the frequency chart of this guide? please Halp. Relieve me of my ignorance.

Ive read several different sources that have given conflicting uses of the pre-eq. some say before the amp, others after. I havent gotten right. I read into this article a lot more and am understanding more but still something seems off. I have more reading to do. As far as the volume. When I open my DAW the volume goes from like 5 up to a solid 7 or 8 and it gets super gain-y. So idk why that is happening. I didnt try recording last night and i am in the process of trying to trade in the pedal board for the rack version as i am mainly using this for recording and not for shows. This is still a massive learning curve coming from knowing nothing about frequency to trying to learn how to dial in a tone for recording.