Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New Variax User Introducing Himself

Hi All. I've been a LIne6 user since the days of AX212 (I'm a Vetta 2 guy now), but this week I got my first Variax, a Tyler 59 in cherry sunburst. I play in 2 bands, one of them a Yes tribute where I play 5 guitars. If the JTV59 works as I'm hoping, changing guitars mid-song and mid-set will be a thing of the past. I'm excited.

I updated the guitar to the 1.9 firmware which took me 3 tries before it succeeded and with Variax Workbench filled the Custom1 and Custom2 slots with those presets (guitar models) I'll use most. Fun stuff ! I wish the JTV59 neck were a little less fat (small hands here), but overall the fretboard is easy to navigate so I'll deal. The neck is perfectly straight and only 1 or 2 frets need some filing to get rid of string buzz when I bend. For a Korean (mass-produced) instrument I'm pretty surprised, no offense.

I've tried both the 1/4" and VDI inputs to the Vetta and because I can use the Vetta to recall JTV presets (in combination with the complex switching I need to do for Yes music), I'll probably stick with the VDI cable unless I need to be more than 10' away from my amp (which is rare).

Anyway, hope everyone is rockin' out.

Oh question... am I correct that the stock D'addario strings are .010 gauge?  NEVER MND - answered in another thread though my D'Addario tag doesn't specify the gauge.

Welcome to the Variax family.   Since you do YES covers I thought this video might interest you.  

At approx 26:30  Steve Howe discusses his current and future use of his various Variax guitars.  He also talks about his extensive use of the HD-500 and DT50.  Enjoy!

Thanks, Steele.  My bassist sent that youTube link to me.  As a matter of fact it was that video where I got the idea to use the Variax in my Yes band.  But I'll skip the HD500 since I have all the Yes presets I need in my Vetta 2.

Both video links are broken.  They arrive at a YouTube error page.

I can get to them fine. Must be a problem with your browser.  Try this... when at the youTube site, search on "mikedrumzz sundance" or "mikedrumzz farrells".

I can get to them fine. Must be a problem with your browser.  Try this... when at the youTube site, search on "mikedrumzz sundance" or "mikedrumzz farrells".

Got it - thanks.  Nice playing!  BTW, where in "Upstate NY" are you?  I'm your neighbor in Burlington, VT.

Got it - thanks.  Nice playing!  BTW, where in "Upstate NY" are you?  I'm your neighbor in Burlington, VT.

I'm in Poughkeepsie.  Thanks for the compliment.  A lot of work that Steve Howe !  I used the JTV59 for the first time at rehearsal this past weekend and it worked out great !  Sitar, acoustic, Rick 360-12, ES335 and ES175 (which was a little too thin sounding) all worked great.  Goodbye guitar switching !

Welcome aboard and congratulations with your JTV 59!  :) Playing in a Yes tribute band sounds like a perfect situation to use James Tyler Variax guitar, not to mention the fact that Steve Howe himself mentioned all the benefits of this amazing instrument before! I have visited your web page and was left in awe - a powerful and heartfelt tribute with so much of it's own! It's amazing that the JTV59 worked great for you and that you could use all the five models and do not have to switch guitars anymore.  :) I must say that you are an amazing guitar player, really! :wub:  Thank you so much for introducing yourself and sharing your music here! 

I'm in Poughkeepsie.  Thanks for the compliment.  A lot of work that Steve Howe !  I used the JTV59 for the first time at rehearsal this past weekend and it worked out great !  Sitar, acoustic, Rick 360-12, ES335 and ES175 (which was a little too thin sounding) all worked great.  Goodbye guitar switching !

Heh, when you said "upstate" I was thinking Saratoga or Plattsburgh :-).  Up here near the Canadian border, we look at Poughkeepsie as being next to Manhattan... 

Seriously, glad the guitar is working out. 

Heh, when you said "upstate" I was thinking Saratoga or Plattsburgh :-).  Up here near the Canadian border, we look at Poughkeepsie as being next to Manhattan... 

Seriously, glad the guitar is working out. 

That's funny.  I'm originally from NYC and lived on Long Island for 15 years after that so "upstate" to me is anything north of the Bronx.  :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I'm considering Line 6 equipment. Does anyone have any information on the brown Es335/artist style semi-hollow double cutaway style custom Steve Howe Variax guitar? A picture of it is shown from the Asia Phoenix album. Does anyone know if he used it on the first cut or that album "Never Again"?

Hi! I've been playing Yes since 1972 and I'm from Long Island. How are you?

I guess more and more closet Yes guitar players are appearing and that's a healthy sign for the guitar. I'm interested if by 335 you meant 345 but it was a typo.

Cool. 1972 was the same year I got turned on to Yes. In 1973 I learned everything on "Yessongs", falling asleep to "Edge" many a night (I so love that bird-river-cosmos intro).  Joined my 1st Yes tribute (well, we also covered Kansas, Toto, Genesis, Styx and composed our own songs) in 1977, Roslyn, NY.  We played all over Long Island.  Ah the heydays of live music !

I meant 335.  It's a 2000 1959-reissue ES-335 natural finish.  I would start your own thread on the Howe guitar about which you asked.

• 2 months later...

Cool. 1972 was the same year I got turned on to Yes. In 1973 I learned everything on "Yessongs", falling asleep to "Edge" many a night (I so love that bird-river-cosmos intro).  Joined my 1st Yes tribute (well, we also covered Kansas, Toto, Genesis, Styx and composed our own songs) in 1977, Roslyn, NY.  We played all over Long Island.  Ah the heydays of live music !

I meant 335.  It's a 2000 1959-reissue ES-335 natural finish.  I would start your own thread on the Howe guitar about which you asked.

Nevermind. :wub:  In saying that I had some good trips with Yes. My Variax is not going near Yes anytime soon. I'm glad punk came along and sorted Yes and there ilk out B) Rock & Roll.